Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Basically be realistic, but enjoy anything that does sneak up. 

spot on. it is November 16. and some posters here fail to realize that November is NOT a snowy month in C/SNE.

i always feel that any snow that falls before 12/15 is a bonus. Dec '07 was the jackpot.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Serious question, is there a big difference between ground level and say 200ft above wrt wind speeds?

Having 2 excellent weather stations on site at work, a Davis Pro at 33 feet and a Vaisala at 285 feet I am able to record wind speed with pretty good confidence. the differences can be astounding. this printout from 1/18/06 shows a gust to 93, down at ground level it was 38, shortly after my gust,Blue Hill gusted in the 90s

MPMRCWindSpeed2.jpg

MPMRCWindSpeed3.jpg

8 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Having 2 excellent weather stations on site at work, a Davis Pro at 33 feet and a Vaisala at 285 feet I am able to record wind speed with pretty good confidence. the differences can be astounding. this printout from 1/18/06 shows a gust to 93, down at ground level it was 38, shortly after my gust,Blue Hill gusted in the 90s

MPMRCWindSpeed2.jpg

MPMRCWindSpeed3.jpg

Of all the screamers we have ever had...that is my number one. That is still some of the strongest winds I have ever witnessed. The tree damage from that was greater than the one a few weeks ago...and the trees were all bare.

26 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The '96 screamers that melted 3' of snow also are up there. I suppose if you are going to nuke a 3' snowpack, might as well get damage.

My sister was born during a flood in 1996 in the town of Roscoe, NY. She was born on January 22. There was 3 feet of snow and a massive cutter flooded the entire area. 

10 minutes ago, LurkerBoy said:

My sister was born during a flood in 1996 in the town of Roscoe, NY. She was born on January 22. There was 3 feet of snow and a massive cutter flooded the entire area. 

I was a freshman in college.  Roscoe was near the end of the divided  area of route 17 at the time.  In general, the epicosity of that winter upstate can not be overstated including feet of snow in the first week of your sister’s life.  The Roscoe Diner was a key stop en route to Ithaca.

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I was a freshman in college.  Roscoe was near the end of the divided  area of route 17 at the time.  In general, the epicosity of that winter upstate can not be overstated including feet of snow in the first week of your sister’s life.  The Roscoe Diner was a key stop en route to Ithaca.

You were a freshman in college in 1996? Congrats!

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah that was bad out there into adjacent PA. 

Yep. The Roscoe diner is still there! Worked there 2 summers in high school. The pics from her birth are insane! Me and my twin brother were little tikes playing around in what felt like endless snow. 

Archived