Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

Just now, OceanStWx said:

Year after I graduated, so I didn't get to enjoy playing in those conditions. But PVD had 5.8"

It was a classic N-S coastal front. So Narragansett Bay did better than areas even in northern Plymouth county on the water. In fact even EWB did better. But I was content with the deformation magic of 2/7, the PDII CJ, and the 3/6 event that brought TSSN.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
54 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Living in NC for a decade, we only scored in December once that I can remember... 12/26/2010. 

Hate hate hated that storm. Pulled 7 inches of compressed baking powder in CT while NJ deformed to 30". Fooking awful. Thank God an epic norlun and 2 footer were to come two weeks later.

11 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Hate hate hated that storm. Pulled 7 inches of compressed baking powder in CT while NJ deformed to 30". Fooking awful. Thank God an epic norlun and 2 footer were to come two weeks later.

That storm performed nicely IMBY at that time near Brookline Village.  Boston got 18+

36 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Hate hate hated that storm. Pulled 7 inches of compressed baking powder in CT while NJ deformed to 30". Fooking awful.

I received 10" of pure snowfall in eastern North Carolina (unofficially measured without the board) from that storm, which is second behind 15" of snowfall I saw in Asheville during January 2016 storm (officially measured every 6 hours on a snow board).

However, the snow depth of these two storms were similar since the 2016 storm had few hours of sleet to compress the snow depth. Therefore, I count 12/26/10 and 1/23/16 storms as tied for my deepest snow at about 10". It's likely that I'll experience my first footer depth-wise at some point this winter.

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

I received 10" of pure snowfall in eastern North Carolina (unofficially measured without the board) from that storm, which is second behind 15" of snowfall I saw in Asheville during January 2016 storm (officially measured every 6 hours on a snow board).

However, the snow depth of these two storms were similar since the 2016 storm had few hours of sleet to compress the snow depth. Therefore, I count 12/26/10 and 1/23/16 storms as tied for my deepest snow at about 10". It's likely that I'll experience my first footer depth-wise at some point this winter.

You missed out on 50” depths a couple years back. 

47 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Took these during the Valentine's Day Massacre. Pretty sure this was peak depth. Can't imagine what it would've looked like if Boston hadn't had sent backhoes and dump trucks through the neighborhood a few days before to clear.

205.jpg

Vdaymassacre.jpg

22 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Took these during the Valentine's Day Massacre. Pretty sure this was peak depth. Can't imagine what it would've looked like if Boston hadn't had sent backhoes and dump trucks through the neighborhood a few days before to clear.

205.jpg

Vdaymassacre.jpg

That's fukkin sick.  I love those 2015 photos you guys have from the urban areas.  The snow is deep to begin with but it looks even more ridiculous in more densely populated areas because of all the snow clearing, blowing off roof-tops filling the neighborhoods with snow.  

Much different and certainly more impressive look than just 3-5 feet in a field or the woods where everything is even and 18" looks the same as 40".  White.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ve never seen a foot of snow OTG?

Nope.

1 hour ago, NorEastermass128 said:

That February was ridiculous. One of my college friends was spending a semester in Boston and he swore to never like snow again after that :lol:

46 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Nope.

That February was ridiculous. One of my college friends was spending a semester in Boston and he swore to never like snow again after that :lol:

Everyone on this board will be chasing another 3-4 week stretch like that for the rest of their lives more than likely.

its almost hard to believe it happened.

2 hours ago, Hoth said:

205.jpg

Vdaymassacre.jpg

We  got more on the side of the river ;)post-1090-0-97811200-1423520450_thumb.jpg

Channeling my inner-James, that overall look has had a solid upslope snow event look to it for several runs.  

Blocking might really help in that regard, especially early and late season.

Yeah definitely has upslope written all over that scenario depicted, That may even get some of the lower elevations on the front end if we get that to redevelop a little further SE.

17 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wasn't around this part of the country then .. but in the southern Lakes region it was either that winter, or the one right before ... was no slouch. 

We had a couple delayed school starts that winter due to cold - bone rattling cold at that, with temps in the -5 to -10 F, along with wind over 20mph on multiple mornings. 

LE -related snow warnings were common, and one Blizzard if I recall. Thing is, I don't recall any synoptic storms of notoriety.  But what we had were a lot of those intense cold waves, where the LE sounding became more "fuzzy" ..instead of the corpuscular cells amid linear focus that is more convective. The whole region within 40 to 70 mi east of Lake Michigan, on several occasions, at times bathed in level 1 radar, as the air bounced around + 4 F in what really amounted to snow-fog.  It was really interesting because at the time the movie, "The Shining" was popular; I distinctly recall the entire setting reminded me often of that end scene where the axe-wielding "Jack" met his cryospheric doom out amid the bush-maze; utterly submerged in sting cold and dense if not choking pixie dust.  

I've often wondered where that winter ranks for Lakes region.  Back in 2013-2014, there was the "Polar Vortex" winter ...  I've never bothered to actually look up the numbers. It may just be that winter happens to stick out in my mind ..but, it was the most impressive thing I remember between that era and 1977-1978 ...

The 1980s were on whole a disappointing decade ...  Obviously not the whole time.. There were off-set events. But they were more in handful as opposed to the medley we encountered around here after about 1991 ... 

The 2013-14 winter, atleast for my region, was fairly impressive. We received about 73.0" (45.2" avg), officially, but what was more impressive was the relentless cold. November right thru March we remained below normal temperature wise, with the lowest temperature being -13.5F. As a result, we had the most snow cover days in a row on record, which was 104 days with atleast 1" on the ground. It was the coldest winter since 93-94 and a top 10 overall I believe. The 14-15 winter was even more impressive cold wise, more specifically February, which was the coldest month on record at YYZ, with a monthly mean temperature of 8.0F.  

8 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Everyone on this board will be chasing another 3-4 week stretch like that for the rest of their lives more than likely.

its almost hard to believe it happened.

Wasn't it Sam that ran a simulation and found a crazy tiny chance of that happening?

Found it:

He ended up updating it to be 38 simulated winters produced as much or more than 94.4" in that 30 day stretch. Just a 1 in 26,315 chance!

Better odds than the lottery though, so there's that.

Archived