Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Probably in southern New England as well...though 1981-1982 could make a case on some parts of the coast as being better....or if you value cold more...it was a much colder winter.

Leaving the glorious snowbound childhood years of the late 70's, the 80's treated my like a prisoner at the bottom of Buffalo Bill's well throwing me the bones of a blizzard in 83 and the winter of 1987 to just keep me alive and sane.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Leaving the glorious snowbound childhood years of the late 70's, the 80's treated my like a prisoner at the bottom of Buffalo Bill's well throwing me the bones of a blizzard in 83 and the winter of 1987 to just keep me alive and sane.

Leaving for Los Angeles right before the snowy 1977 on period for 15 years and I lived through it.  1991 onward has brought its share of epicosity.

50 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Probably in southern New England as well...though 1981-1982 could make a case on some parts of the coast as being better....or if you value cold more...it was a much colder winter.

I'd take another 81-82 in a heartbeat.  Up north we had 186" total, nearly 4' in Dec, Jan avg temp -1.5, -32 on March 1, capped by the most violent blizzard of my experience (and the most wonderful positive bust imaginable), in April no less.

Will's comment on early-mid Novie likely being "too early" is reflected farther north, though maybe with things starting a week earlier there.  Farmington's earliest 10"+ event in 125 years came on Nov. 13-14, 1901, a 15" storm.  The 12" on Nov. 18-19, 1980 is the only other 10-plus-incher that began earlier than 11/21.  The last 10 days of the month have recorded 9 such snowfalls, with the 2014 storm breaking a 25-year drought.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

I'd take another 81-82 in a heartbeat.  Up north we had 186" total, nearly 4' in Dec, Jan avg temp -1.5, -32 on March 1, capped by the most violent blizzard of my experience (and the most wonderful positive bust imaginable), in April no less.

Will's comment on early-mid Novie likely being "too early" is reflected farther north, though maybe with things starting a week earlier there.  Farmington's earliest 10"+ event in 125 years came on Nov. 13-14, 1901, a 15" storm.  The 12" on Nov. 18-19, 1980 is the only other 10-plus-incher that began earlier than 11/21.  The last 10 days of the month have recorded 9 such snowfalls, with the 2014 storm breaking a 25-year drought.

I would take it too. I don’t have the same level of record keeping that you guys do (well, any record keeping at all if we’re being honest) but 81-82 is the one that I pattern all my dream winters on.  Seemingly endless snowfall. A couple of 3”-6”ers a week and then a bigger one every 10 days or so, or so it seemed to my then 13 year old eyes. I don’t remember any really big warmups and the road that I lived on at the time, VT RT14 in Brookfield was closed due to snow slides. It was a great winter up here. 

5 hours ago, Paragon said:

Only one I can think of for this area (during Thanksgiving week), Will, is Thanksgiving 1989- and what a snowfall it was- right down into South Jersey!  8-10 inches for LI and S NJ!

yes but was a lack luster event further inland....a few inches of powdery snow and then frigid later that day and windy

7 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Looks like 30’s and 40’s (20’s tomorrow) for highs in SNE as far as the eye can see with a few wintry chances Monday and again next weekend 

I think it's more mid 40's for most, to near 50 at the shores though.  And right now those wintry chances look more like just rain chances for most.  Maybe that changes...hope so but wouldn't be banking on that right now.  

3 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I lived in central ct (Bristol)...it was meh...3-4 inches of powder....areas just se were crushed

still waiting for a solid 2 footer in Spfd

Better move back to Bristol/Southington area if you want two footers.   Hell I had a 3 footer in Feb of 13.    That place you moved to is Death Valley with regards to snow lol.  

Get out of there Codfish. 

23 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Better move back to Bristol/Southington area if you want two footers.   Hell I had a 3 footer in Feb of 13.    That place you moved to is Death Valley with regards to snow lol.  

He got 24” in Feb 13, not bad in today’s KU climate. I think his city’s largest snowfall is over 30” iirc too.

But yea, in general, he gets shadowed a lot. 

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I think he jacked in that fast mover last year. 19" or something like that.

23 minutes ago, codfishsnowman said:

I lived in central ct (Bristol)...it was meh...3-4 inches of powder....areas just se were crushed

still waiting for a solid 2 footer in Spfd

Lived in Queens, not meh. 5" of snow with blizzard conditions visiting a friend in Suffolk County. The cold that followed in December was exceptional.

45 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He got 24” in Feb 13, not bad in today’s KU climate. I think his city’s largest snowfall is over 30” iirc too.

But yea, in general, he gets shadowed a lot. 

Every spot in New England can go big.  That's the beauty of it.  You never know when, but literally anyone can go big at anytime.  From BTV to the Cape.  From CAR to BDR.  In this region, winter is the most exciting season.

40 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Every spot in New England can go big.  That's the beauty of it.  You never know when, but literally anyone can go big at anytime.  From BTV to the Cape.  From CAR to BDR.  In this region, winter is the most exciting season.

Every area has its pros and cons for big systems, except ORH. Will said it best in another thread or post, this place is special for weenies. But because of the region’s size, sometimes you have to suffer forcefully watching your neighbor disrobe in his basement. 

Archived