Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

What's it looking for Thanksgiving week? I saw something on TV about the Euro showing a big 1-2 week arctic shot for that week and the week after that with a Greenland block in place.

It could be a stormy week given the hemispheric pattern, but I'd be foolish to dive into details. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

It could be a stormy week given the hemispheric pattern, but I'd be foolish to dive into details. 

Right now we're focused on this arctic shot, I see eastern Long Island is going to be very close to single digits Sunday morning (KFOK) I wonder if Toms River KMJX and Martha's Vineyard KMVY will be also, they are also prime radiational cooling spots!

Interior areas upstate will go below zero!

Too bad that GFS look wasn't in December...we'd prob have insane snow from that...but maybe we can get really lucky this month. Pretty skeptical though...given how early it is. You typically want a set list of ingredients for a good November snowfall (outside of the mountains)...and one of them that would be missing is fresh arctic cold. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but you lose all your wiggle room when you're playing with -2C or -3C 850 temps this early. Interior with some elevation would obviously help in any threat.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Too bad that GFS look wasn't in December...we'd prob have insane snow from that...but maybe we can get really lucky this month. Pretty skeptical though...given how early it is. You typically want a set list of ingredients for a good November snowfall (outside of the mountains)...and one of them that would be missing is fresh arctic cold. Doesn't mean it can't happen, but you lose all your wiggle room when you're playing with -2C or -3C 850 temps this early. Interior with some elevation would obviously help in any threat.

Yeah that's why I mentioned the caveat the other day. I hope people aren't automatically assuming snow with a block like that. It's still quite early. 

Just now, WinterWolf said:

That snapshot Anthony showed is for two weeks from now...two weeks later in November is a big deal...climo a lot more on our side in 2 weeks than it is today....that could help a bit more.  But as you say it's still quite early no doubt, so all the negatives are applied for sure. 

Instead of a 42F rain it's 37F rain. 

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

That snapshot Anthony showed is for two weeks from now...two weeks later in November is a big deal...climo a lot more on our side in 2 weeks than it is today....that could help a bit more.  But as you say it's still quite early no doubt, so all the negatives are applied for sure. 

Arctic shots will help knock down the SSTs anyway, even if no storm results. So going forward it's a good thing, SSTs are still crazy warm

sst.daily.anom20171107.gif

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Instead of a 42F rain it's 37F rain. 

Well to be fair, I was wondering what it would be like in the Poconos, because that week I plan to be up there (near Mt Pocono, about 2000 ft elevation). I was wondering if it looks like a strong possibility that it'd be raining on Long Island and snowing up there.  That's going to be an issue if it happens.

You still looking at a milder than normal December with not much blocking to speak of, Scott?

4 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I was taking into account that it was 2 weeks from now. 11/20-11/25 is still pretty early...it's better than 11/10, but you still need a lot going right. Just look at the climo of snowfalls more than 6" for dates before 11/25....even for ORH. It's not that easy. It's doable, but I'd probably not really get that into it until there's actually some guidance that screams snowstorm and it's inside 4 days. Not saying you are calling for snowstorms, but just in general for everyone on here, I think expectations should be tempered. I'll say that it is a good sign we're already seeing early blocking...even if it's wave-breaking. It shows it can be done.

Just now, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Unless we line everything up.... it ain’t going to snow. I don’t care how strong the blocking is. It showed up 6 weeks early 

Good points.  It all lined up in 2011 in October...it can certainly do it a month later.   But you're point is taken and reasonable, but I wouldn't say it's 6 weeks early, maybe only 3 or so.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I was taking into account that it was 2 weeks from now. 11/20-11/25 is still pretty early...it's better than 11/10, but you still need a lot going right. Just look at the climo of snowfalls more than 6" for dates before 11/25....even for ORH. It's not that easy. It's doable, but I'd probably not really get that into it until there's actually some guidance that screams snowstorm and it's inside 4 days. Not saying you are calling for snowstorms, but just in general for everyone on here, I think expectations should be tempered. I'll say that it is a good sign we're already seeing early blocking...even if it's wave-breaking. It shows it can be done.

Only one I can think of for this area (during Thanksgiving week), Will, is Thanksgiving 1989- and what a snowfall it was- right down into South Jersey!  8-10 inches for LI and S NJ!

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Good points.  It all lined up in 2011 in October...it can certainly do it a month later.   But you're point is taken and reasonable, but I wouldn't say it's 6 weeks early, maybe only 3 or so.

Also happened in early November right after Sandy in 2012.  Got 8 inches of snow on Long Island.

Other one I can think of is Vet Day 1987 and of course Thanksgiving 1989.

Also pre-Thanksgiving 1995 before our big winter.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh absolutely correct, and I agree.   Not thinking it's going to be this big SNOWY time like some are...but the modeling is nice to look at, but all caveats apply at this juncture for sure.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Also happened in early November right after Sandy in 2012.  Got 8 inches of snow on Long Island.

Other one I can think of is Vet Day 1987 and of course Thanksgiving 1989.

Also pre-Thanksgiving 1995 before our big winter.

Yup 2012 after Sandy in Early November, that was a good storm here as well.  I remember thanksgiving 89 very well..did very good in that too.  So it happens and will again, just don't know if it will this year?  Nice to see modeling showing some action and a nice looking pattern...who knows if it produces anything at all??

Thinking about booking a short trip around the 15th of December to get a ski day in before the holidays. I cannot find the previous opening days for several mountains I’m looking at. Is that info anywhere?

Looking at a place like Cranmore, a step up from king pine his year for my fiancé. Do folks thing they will be open by that time?

Archived