Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

That system for early next week (Nov 13-14ish) is gaining a little more interest in the synoptic look. It's dependent on that arctic shot preceding it actually occurring which appears to be gaining some support too. I agree with Tip talking about how the model guidance may be struggling a bit with the whole regime of this -EPO and short wave length issue...the hemispheric pattern "wants" to be colder for us with the EPO look but idiosyncrasies have so far prevented it...however, perhaps a few chickens are coming home to roost next weekend and early next week. We will see...at least it is something that warrants checking in on each model cycle. 

The EPS was showing that for about 36 hrs now. A nice fresh batch of cold air preceding it. The standard caveats apply, but something to keep on the back burner anyways. There's also a bit of a Hudson Bay ridge preceding it too.

30 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

The EPS was showing that for about 36 hrs now. A nice fresh batch of cold air preceding it. The standard caveats apply, but something to keep on the back burner anyways. There's also a bit of a Hudson Bay ridge preceding it too.

The Hudson Bay ridge would help hold high pressure in place too. We'll see how things look going forward. Not getting invested in winter precious yet but it won't be surprising if it happens. 

12z euro should actually be kind of interesting here...

yeah.. pf the apparently ... invisible elephant no one realizes is in the room, is that sort of thing has been modeled a bit more frequently than merely typical autumn fantasies by day-dreamer distance range model visions. 

That, in its self, is sort of suggestive of some underpinning trend - the models could be picking up on deeper tissue tendencies that could become more 'verifiable' given deeper descent into the cold season.  I can understand one or two cycles in the three week sort of time span, but this is like all the time this year... I don't think that's happening in a vacuum.

7 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

Those temps are low all the way down the coast.

Yeah I'm sure...was just trying to wrap my head around what afternoon temps in the teens might feel like all the sudden.  Very little chance of that extreme cold (it's like -20C at 850 over northern VT/NY) but even a sub-freezing day right now would feel brutal haha.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

That system for early next week (Nov 13-14ish) is gaining a little more interest in the synoptic look. It's dependent on that arctic shot preceding it actually occurring which appears to be gaining some support too. I agree with Tip talking about how the model guidance may be struggling a bit with the whole regime of this -EPO and short wave length issue...the hemispheric pattern "wants" to be colder for us with the EPO look but idiosyncrasies have so far prevented it...however, perhaps a few chickens are coming home to roost next weekend and early next week. We will see...at least it is something that warrants checking in on each model cycle. 

Congrats @dendrite?

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I'm sure...was just trying to wrap my head around what afternoon temps in the teens might feel like all the sudden.  Very little chance of that extreme cold (it's like -20C at 850 over northern VT/NY) but even a sub-freezing day right now would feel brutal haha.

I’m thinking that would be a pretty chilly start to deer season the next morning. Not that I’m going out into the woods lol. Will need to stay in camp and keep the fire stoked. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

ha, I think I am one of the few going for a big winter. 

I am too!  My prediction last week was that we'd have our first inch by Nov 15, while my partner said New Years Eve.  I think it is going to be a longer winter weather period than has been the norm lately, that it will snow a lot this winter and we are going to have a lot of bouts of cold weather.  Reasons  1) because that is what I want and I am a weenie  2) La Nina  3)  better set up for some -NAO this year (QBO)  4) EPO dumping cold early  5) warm Sept and Oct, and a well-trending first significant cold snap coming shortly 

Archived