Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

28 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I don’t get the proclamation one way or another at this point.  It would not be unusual to have good and bad periods this winter.   What has to happen to tilt it good/bad is to cash in or not during the good patterns.    I’m pretty confident the Pacific cooperates.   Getting the North Atlantic in our side is the difference between ok to less than ok vs good to great.

I agree Jerry.

Hope your feeling better/doing well after your procedure.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also don’t recall anyone calling for a big SNE winter. All I am saying is that warm SNE autumns tend to produce warm winters with low snowfalls.  

Not ironclad. November could develop a pattern favorable going forward. I see nothing to prevent that.  

But...if I were a betting man, I would take the under. 

It really symbolically could not be interpreted any other way... it was on purpose.  haha.  this whole run - jesus wow.

Anyway it rolls out the -EPO pattern and replaces it with a variation that looks remarkably similar to the dread described by Will, earlier, ...having never exposed the east to any meaningful cold after some two solid weeks of negative index values...  So no matter what the indexes are, warm -   got it.

This run is more humorous than anything else for me.  There's plenty of cold around...in fact, Canada's actually steeped in negaitve departures much of the time, but it's just idiosyncrasies are in space and time across the modeled days just sort of wrong the whole way.

8 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It really symbolically could not be interpreted any other way... it was on purpose.  haha.  this whole run - jesus wow.

Anyway it rolls out the -EPO pattern and replaces it with a variation that looks remarkably similar to the dread described by Will, earlier, ...having never exposed the east to any meaningful cold after some two solid weeks of negative index values...  So no matter what the indexes are, warm -   got it.

This run is more humorous than anything else for me.  There's plenty of cold around...in fact, Canada's actually steeped in negaitve departures much of the time, but it's just idiosyncrasies are in space and time across the modeled days just sort of wrong the whole way.

I want to feel like I understand this. :/

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I also don’t recall anyone calling for a big SNE winter. All I am saying is that warm SNE autumns tend to produce warm winters with low snowfalls.  

Not ironclad. November could develop a pattern favorable going forward. I see nothing to prevent that.  

I think this is a pretty reasonable post.

What happens as we move forward this month is really important 

3 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I think this is a pretty reasonable post.

What happens as we move forward this month is really important 

Meh, all you need to do is look back to 2015.  Next to nothing as we got towards the last week of January, than all hell broke loose and we ended up with ~120".

13 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Meh, all you need to do is look back to 2015.  Next to nothing as we got towards the last week of January, than all hell broke loose and we ended up with ~120".

Yup.  You can get a good period during a bad overall regime.  One good week can really turn the tide.  Even one big storm can get you out of the rat pack and into something g decent.  

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

A warm October just doesn't mean much, Dave. 

Need to see how November shakes out.

19 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

A warm October just doesn't mean much, Dave. 

Need to see how November shakes out.

I know that, Ray.

Warm Sept, Oct, Nov and we might have a problem.  Still too early to tell, but I’m leaning below normal snowfall in SNE and above normal temps. 

We could always have a crappy December and then make it up later on...

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Absolutely!

things can change on a dime...and many times do...for the good or the bad.   There's no golden rule in anything meteoroligically speaking...especially in New England.  We've seen warm autumns produce big time during the upcoming winters, and we've seen just the opposite also.  

Have to see how things play out this month.  And even then it's not ironclad either.  But that's the fun...you never know?   Like Dave said...one big whopper can put you up for the whole season if it's a duzy. 

watching the difference between these model runs, both within their own failing continuity, and with respect to one another ..it all hearkens to a unmanned fire-hose with the mean polar boundary. 

The stuff in the west appears better anchored from run to run, but the models are flopping the down stream all over the countryside.  Minnesota cutters to coastals, to nothing at all ... the cornucopia results.

2 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I've always thought if you average 50-60" or less, you always have a shot at an average year even if you punt entire months.  

A good few week period and we'll timed shortwaves can get you to average awfully fast.

Once you are 80-120"+ a season, it obviously becomes harder to get that if you lose entire months waiting for winter.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I've always thought if you average 50-60" or less, you always have a shot at an average year even if you punt entire months.  

A good few week period and we'll timed shortwave can get you to average awfully fast.

Once you are 80-120"+ a season, it obviously becomes harder to get that if you lose entire months waiting for winter.

So True.

57 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Absolutely!

things can change on a dime...and many times do...for the good or the bad.   There's no golden rule in anything meteoroligically speaking...especially in New England.  We've seen warm autumns produce big time during the upcoming winters, and we've seen just the opposite also.  

Have to see how things play out this month.  And even then it's not ironclad either.  But that's the fun...you never know?   Like Dave said...one big whopper can put you up for the whole season if it's a duzy. 

9 out of the top 10 warm met autumns have been ratters in Boston.  With Sept and Oct being torches, we need November to be chilly     

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I'm still mostly focusing on the N PAC. We may finish November warm, but if it because we had a -EPO pattern with a trough folding underneath it into a deep PAC NE trough then that is not as alarming as getting a warm November from a vortex in AK. One reason that above normal novembers are generally bad is because they tend to occur due to a large AK/Bering vortex...and that tends to precede winters where the vortex is dominant up there. If we are getting an above avg November due to the nuanced -EPO pattern then I won't be as worried. There is still plenty of time for all outcomes...though I think a positive EPO type pattern dominating November is becoming unlikely. 

What do you think about the index to which Chuck first alluded back in September in his -NAO thread in the main forum?  I understand that, for better or worse, he's been all over the place with his thoughts lately, but having been a member on these forums for a decade and a half, I've always known him to be a good contributor to our discussions.  Should we place any stock (his?) index?  

42 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

9 out of the top 10 warm met autumns have been ratters in Boston.  With Sept and Oct being torches, we need November to be chilly     

Seems like this is better rephrased as "we need November to feature a subdued SE ridge and a complete absence of the AK death vortex, regardless of local temp departures," no?

50 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Do you have those years?  The only Boston ratters going back to 2000 are 2001-02, 2006-07, 2011-12.

Archived