Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

The cfs has been pretty consistent for whatever it's worth in keeping the coldest air in Canada through the winter with strong EPO/WPO ridging.  Raging +ao/nao maintains a very stout north-south gradient.  

It would be very bad for storm enthusiasts ... I mean going by basic design - if we end up with cold dumps into James Bay, while the entire girdle of the hemispheric heights keeps it suspended at that latitude, the end result is a more of that crazy hyper velocity wind that doesn't give anything south of there room to amplify.  

The older I get,...the more often I come back to this... You want at minimum neutral AO and EPOs that vacillate between negative and neutral as the base-line behavior. I am not even worried so much about the PNA in that circumstance (as much) 

3 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

It is.  But last year wasnt like that.  The cold anomalies weren't found throughout Canada...only in BC basically.  And the ao nao sign is relatively independent of the ENSO state.

2007-08 was more of a gradient pattern which without looking sounds similar, Just want to be on the right side of it if its going to be a tight one, The raging +AO/NAO is troublesome though if its even right.

7 minutes ago, OSUmetstud said:

What's your thoughts?

I am definitely not a seasonal guy, but I was thinking more typical Nina December here since I did not see any significant signs that screamed warmer or very snowy.  I figured it would be the typical roller coaster...but I am not feeling a 2007 or 1970 vibe. However, if we can get the atmospheric Nina circulation to weaken (it's not very strong right now anyways) we may also not have the tail off to winter that we in SNE typically see in Feb and Mar. Again, JMHO...not that it means much :lol: 

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I am definitely not a seasonal guy, but I was thinking more typical Nina December here since I did not see any significant signs that screamed warmer or very snowy.  I figured it would be the typical roller coaster...but I am not feeling a 2007 or 1970 vibe. However, if we can get the atmospheric Nina circulation to weaken (it's not very strong right now anyways) we may also not have the tail off to winter that we in SNE typically see in Feb and Mar. Again, JMHO...not that it means much :lol: 

We will place you in the hat with the CFS and Cansips.................lol

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The point to glean from all this is to worry about this being a good winter, and don’t forecast or plan on a snowy year 

I see the complete opposite. Temps around normal or just above for DJFM with above avg snow nw of the se coast. 

If i lose, I’ll pick up all the twigs on your lawn on april 1st.

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The point to glean from all this is to worry about this being a good winter, and don’t forecast or plan on a snowy year 

Nickles and Dimes like you preached in 15...preached that all the way to a Blizzard lol....Maybe you can do the same this year?  Keep harping to not plan on a snowy year...maybe the reverse happens again.

17 minutes ago, dryslot said:

It was based on your long range comment........lol, I don't read to much into seasonal model forecast, Hard enough for models to project conditions on day 10 never mind monthly for an entire season.

Oh what I meant by tail off, is the slow end to winter that Nina's have. Some think Feb and Mar may be better than what we see...at least down here. I'll keep it simple. Seems like typical Nina until otherwise.

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Oh what I meant by tail off, is the slow end to winter that Nina's have. Some think Feb and Mar may be better than what we see...at least down here. I'll keep it simple. Seems like typical Nina until otherwise.

The good seasons typically go right into April, Still a lot of mixed signals i think right now as to how this one plays out, These seem to get underway early for the most part, With some cold late November and into December and snow on the front end, Have not really looked at much of anything at all as been very busy with fall projects still not completed and now its  running into hunting season which i usually have them completed by now,  But reading some of you mets here, I  don't see anything that has been said that would set of the panic button for this winter season not producing at least normal conditions as of now.

You'd be hard pressed to find a month with good ridging in the EPO region that ended up a torch in the northern tier of the CONUS. December 1998 might be the closest example but that month got cold in a lot of the northwest....unlike what the CFS is showing.

Archived