Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Excellent...this year, we have a huge anomaly on the Europe side of Siberia. Maybe it will actually be right this year. But I'm def not betting on it.

I thought the coverage was good in itself but the October advance rate was lackluster.  Judah mentioned that in his blog.  

1 hour ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will Scott, anyone with access to the EURO precip type maps, I just want to be clear, the 12z EURO day 9-10 would be snow for even the Cape and Islands correct?  I know it probably won't happen, I just want to make sure that upper level pattern suggests a snowstorm?

It has hotdog icons over Harwich MA USA.

13 hours ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Will Scott, anyone with access to the EURO precip type maps, I just want to be clear, the 12z EURO day 9-10 would be snow for even the Cape and Islands correct?  I know it probably won't happen, I just want to make sure that upper level pattern suggests a snowstorm?

21 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Will until dawn awakening sees this.

dawn has already awoken

Been there for a few cycles actually ...   

If we want to take a holistic overview, the period Nov 5 through 15 has been flagged for colder departures for a long while actually.  So no surprise that entities within that timing take on colder profiles - ...sort of perfunctory expectation really. 

So Will's right and I'll echo those sentiments...still just recognition stages of the game, probably until the weekend I'm guessing?   We'll go through head-scratch losses and or out of no where way over production version of that one in particular.  Which ...while on the subject, the difference between the 00z and 06z are text-book for less versus more phasing respectively.  The 00z, believe it or not...might actually be the higher probability for seeing snow in the air, given to the flatter nature of the field and the overrunning thermodynamics not overwhelming a fragile nascent early season polar air mass.  The 06z looks fantastic from the broad perspective, with a clear CCB band and even a frontogenic look blossoming through the region, but in early mid Novie...at only -1 C at 850 that could be wind whipped cat's paws lower than the elevations - probably not ...push comes to shove, yeah, it's dynamically correcting down, not up with those mechanics... I'm saying that taking the two solutions to their nerdiest extreme of bun-dom analysis ...if you want snow, you might want to root on the flatter look.   Another month from now?  Sure... a 06z solution for Dec 10 even ends with powder...  

As others have noted, the Euro and even the oft day-dreamer GGEM model are carrying this event along in their own rite.   Those are warmer appeals though, and would rain most likely?  But I suspect each model has a mid to late range warm bias in that regard that may as well be ignored at this time range.  The Euro has -3 C at 850, then ...clouds over and start precipitating with 0, SFC to 850 warm advection source but somehow pops the 850 to +2?  Nah...no chance Euro - nice try. 

You go with what you know - in this case, we've loaded the pattern with cold off antecedent -EPO ... That Pacific is lined up and has been and is modeled to continue, in such a way that is 'AA' in nature...which supports NW flow through the Canadian shield, and the table is set. I'm interested in the fact that the tenor of the operational models fits pretty squarely into that teleconnector spread - not in conflict.   

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Been there for a few cycles actually ...   

If we want to take a holistic overview, the period Nov 5 through 15 has been flagged for colder departures for a long while actually.  So no surprise that entities within that timing take on colder profiles - ...sort of perfunctory expectation really. 

So Will's right and I'll echo those sentiments...still just recognition stages of the game, probably until the weekend I'm guessing?   We'll go through head-scratch losses and or out of no where way over production version of that one in particular.  Which ...while on the subject, the difference between the 00z and 06z are text-book for less versus more phasing respectively.  The 00z, believe it or not...might actually be the higher probability for seeing snow in the air, given to the flatter nature of the field and the overrunning thermodynamics not overwhelming a fragile nascent early season polar air mass.  The 06z looks fantastic from the broad perspective, with a clear CCB band and even a frontogenic look blossoming through the region, but in early mid Novie...at only -1 C at 850 that could be wind whipped cat's paws lower than the elevations - probably not ...push comes to shove, yeah, it's dynamically correcting down, not up with those mechanics... I'm saying that taking the two solutions to their nerdiest extreme of bun-dom analysis ...if you want snow, you might want to root on the flatter look.   Another month from now?  Sure... a 06z solution for Dec 10 even ends with powder...  

As others have noted, the Euro and even the oft day-dreamer GGEM model are carrying this event along in their own rite.   Those are warmer appeals though, and would rain most likely?  But I suspect each model has a mid to late range warm bias in that regard that may as well be ignored at this time range.  The Euro has -3 C at 850, then ...clouds over and start precipitating with 0, SFC to 850 warm advection source but somehow pops the 850 to +2?  Nah...no chance Euro - nice try. 

You go with what you know - in this case, we've loaded the pattern with cold off antecedent -EPO ... That Pacific is lined up and has been and is modeled to continue, in such a way that is 'AA' in nature...which supports NW flow through the Canadian shield, and the table is set. I'm interested in the fact that the tenor of the operational models fits pretty squarely into that teleconnector spread - not in conflict.   

Frigid EPO-driven winters are my favorite.  How durable is that -EPO though?  I recall the 2014-15 episode being driven by that magic warm pool in the NPAC, which seems to Ben lacking this year (so far at least).

37 minutes ago, Eduardo said:

Frigid EPO-driven winters are my favorite.  How durable is that -EPO though?  I recall the 2014-15 episode being driven by that magic warm pool in the NPAC, which seems to Ben lacking this year (so far at least).

I think SSTs being a driver is oversold.  There's a correlation.  But there would warmer than normal SSTs with a ridge overhead all winter in the Bering and the Gulf of Alaska anyway.  

Ahh yes... woke up to a nice, cold morning to see a beautiful modeled winter storm over my location on the GFS. Probably one of those once-a-year blockbusters that doesn't pan out. Let me check few things...

-checked the date and the location-

Toto, we're not in North Carolina on a typical January day anymore. I know it's at least 8 days away, but this is really exciting for me considering models rarely show something over a foot in the South. Unfortunately, 500 mb pattern is still rather fluid run-to-run over last couple days. Likely the big snow will go away for 12z GFS, but at least the cold appears to be consistent so it wouldn't be wise to dismiss wintry threat entirely for this period. It's still fun to look at and get excited for the upcoming winter season.

Archived