Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d ease off the throttle a bit on any meaningful BN or sustained cool pattern in Nov. Lots of conflicting signals and guidance . Until this pattern actually does change need to watch for false starts by models 

Is the pattern not changing this week already? Yes we aren't going straight to BN, but the torch is gone. AN hangs around, but much more seasonable with several rounds of precip coming up.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I’d ease off the throttle a bit on any meaningful BN or sustained cool pattern in Nov. Lots of conflicting signals and guidance . Until this pattern actually does change need to watch for false starts by models 

I guess it would depend on what your expectations are and what you think makes a "pattern change." 

Pattern change doesn't have to mean it goes from +8 in the means to -5. 

We can get a pattern change that goes from +8 to like +1/+2 in the means.  To me anything averaging out to within a couple degrees of "normal" right now would be a pretty significant pattern change...which means an even mix of cool and mild.  That would be significant after the past 5 weeks.

58 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I guess it would depend on what your expectations are and what you think makes a "pattern change." 

Pattern change doesn't have to mean it goes from +8 in the means to -5. 

We can get a pattern change that goes from +8 to like +1/+2 in the means.  To me anything averaging out to within a couple degrees of "normal" right now would be a pretty significant pattern change...which means an even mix of cool and mild.  That would be significant after the past 5 weeks.

Agree. If you're looking at GFS and Euro ensembles, there's a strong signal of having more troughs coming through us. That alone is a big pattern change away from consistent ridging we've been seeing in October.

29 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Agree. If you're looking at GFS and Euro ensembles, there's a strong signal of having more troughs coming through us. That alone is a big pattern change away from consistent ridging we've been seeing in October.

Yup, if the expectation is that a "pattern change" means we flip to negative 850 temps and stay there through November, then that's a bit unrealistic.  

I think just seeing some transient troughs mixed with flatter appeals that aren't +2 and +3 SD ridges, then we are going in the right direction.  Of course this time of year it's normal for the trough axis to be more to the west in the Lakes and upper Midwest...but as long as we get pieces of it we'll have more seasonable weather.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup, if the expectation is that a "pattern change" means we flip to negative 850 temps and stay there through November, then that's a bit unrealistic.  

I think just seeing some transient troughs mixed with flatter appeals that aren't +2 and +3 SD ridges, then we are going in the right direction.  Of course this time of year it's normal for the trough axis to be more to the west in the Lakes and upper Midwest...but as long as we get pieces of it we'll have more seasonable weather.

Perfectly stated if you ask me. The days of the never ending torch are over. Ups and downs that are more seasonable. 

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Still all systems go for a more active look and pattern change across the US. 

It’s actually a December 1970 look adjusted to 6 weeks earlier.   I can still see schwoegler with his boundary like a rope with impulses running along it.  We were on the sweet side that month.

39 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It’s actually a December 1970 look adjusted to 6 weeks earlier.   I can still see schwoegler with his boundary like a rope with impulses running along it.  We were on the sweet side that month.

It's a gradient look with early season cold in the Plains. Shocking for a Nina. I'll take it.

Archived