Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

16 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The best part of winter 2011-12 was the multiple 3am drunken rants from that guy snowNH or something...where he'd write paragraphs that were one long run on sentence about how he's going to go crazy if he sees it snowing in northern VT one more time.  

:lol:  He was a treat. Not sure where he went though. 

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

I can't wait until we get a big storm. I love watching how hyped up the New England threads get. Mods have to come in and say serious talk only and stuff. I remember browsing through a couple times back when I still lived in the Midwest and just was in awe. I'm on the kind of weenie level that a lot of ya'll in the Northeast are and it's just not the same in the Midwest. Can't wait for meltdowns, wishcasters, hypers, bring it all. 

Why is it that New Englanders has so many of the weather weenies vs places like the midwest?  Is it because we are in the cross hairs of many systems and intensifying northward moving coastals or something in our blood?  Maybe interesting winter weather begets more people interested in weather.  I don't know? 

Just now, powderfreak said:

I generally look at ORH as the dividing line (what else is new? Lol) in a lot of systems.  

Coastals that jack ORH east or coastals that jack ORH westward.  But ORH usually comes out ok in both situations.  

Ray's pet peeve about the ORH region. Lol. But in all seriousness, most of MA away from the immediate coast will typically do ok even in ALB-BTV nor easters. ORH had 14 inches of man snow (stuff was like dry cement mix) in the March storm this year...even pretty close to BOS had nearly a foot. Only the immediate shore struggled a bit more. 

The Vday 2007 storm was like 8-10" of sleet/snow mix. The March 2001 storm gave 20-30" across a lot of MA away from the immediate coast. The occasional storm will hit everyone though like December 2003, St Pattys day 2007, and Feb 2013 (maybe a little light in far N VT but pretty much everyone else got hammered) 

18 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I was thinking the bigger events...storms that the Midwest can have trouble seeing as frequently as we do. Obviously they do happen there..but am thinking more the frequency of 8" or greater events. 

ALB actually got double digits in both the Feb 2, 2015 and Feb 7-9, 2015 events...though the first one was a SWFE redeveloper and the 2nd was the long duration overrunning event. Those are good examples of events that hit a large area. 

7 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Why is it that New Englanders has so many of the weather weenies vs places like the midwest?  Is it because we are in the cross hairs of many systems and intensifying northward moving coastals or something in our blood?  Maybe interesting winter weather begets more people interested in weather.  I don't know? 

I would imagine Nor'Easters. No where else can you get a bombing out cyclone spinning slowly just off the coast dumping snow for hours with high winds. 

24 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah I was thinking the bigger events...storms that the Midwest can have trouble seeing as frequently as we do. Obviously they do happen there..but am thinking more the frequency of 8" or greater events. 

Exactly this. We can get 8 inch or even 12 inch storms, but the propensity of them is very low. I like active winters, where it snows a lot (frequency). Of course who doesn't love a big dump of snow as well, but I just like that winter feel when flakes are constantly in the air. Makes it fun to track things when there's snow in the forecast every couple of days as well.

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

I'd like to say it's also because of the population density. About 60 million people live in region from D.C to Maine, which is a lot to be in way of frequent winter storms. Midwest and the rest of Plains are lacking the population density and reliability of big blizzards, but you'll still have handful interested in weather because of severe storms (this former Missouri resident including). The South has the population density, with over 100 million from Texas to Carolinas, but they're lacking big storms to come by frequently enough to capture anyone's interest. Weather is quite boring down there if you're in one spot, even though they do get hurricanes and tornado outbreaks as a region. 

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The best part of winter 2011-12 was the multiple 3am drunken rants from that guy snowNH or something...where he'd write paragraphs that were one long run on sentence about how he's going to go crazy if he sees it snowing in northern VT one more time.  

MattMo just got married.

4 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I'd like to say it's also because of the population density. About 60 million people live in region from D.C to Maine, which is a lot to be in way of frequent winter storms. Midwest and the rest of Plains are lacking the population density and reliability of big blizzards, but you'll still have handful interested in weather because of severe storms (this former Missouri resident including). The South has the population density, with over 100 million from Texas to Carolinas, but they're lacking big storms to come by frequently enough to capture anyone's interest. Weather is quite boring down there if you're in one spot, even though they do get hurricanes and tornado outbreaks as a region. 

I love seeing the hype when a big storm is coming around I-95 and the news talks about almost 1/3 of the population being under a WWA/WSW.

12 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

That period from late Fall 2011 and through Jan 2013 was literally the worst period for winter wx that I can recall. It was one bone job after another...topped off with 12/29/12 where somehow I was raining with a pocket of marine taint over my fanny...but in every direction...N,W,S it was snowing. Then Will calls me up telling me how it flipped to snow as he came out of the Pru tunnel. That was a good meltdown from me. 

That storm sucked... that was the icing on the crap cake for the last year and a half from 2011- Early 2013. 

I remember in Jan 2013 when the cold set in before any real snow chances being fired up for the couple 1/2” dusters we got 

17 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

Welcome to the land of real snow storms. LOL, J/K. However, we do snowstorms well compared to similar low elevation spots in the country. You may not have strong winds in Albany, but you can get clobbered by a slow moving cstl hugger. Unfortunately, that usually means rain and/or dryslot here. LOL.

If I wind up in Syracuse, I'm going to be hoping for inside runners every time!

+7 and change at all major climo sites mid way thru the month is getting impressive.  

Pattern supports a mire of abv normal with one or two temporary cool downs ... at least thru the 23rd.  

We'll see if that last week goes out of its way to tarnish and damage the legacy of a ridiculous month.  

It's an interesting allegory ... it's almost like sport fandom mania.  One side, the cold, they want no part of that outlook and fear their losing here at half time. They don't care if the last week of the month tarnishes something Meteorologically rare to come by, a month > +5; all they care about is that 4th quarter come back, whereby they somehow win if that last week carves out four days of -10 ... which would in reality belie the significance of the rest of the game.     

Archived