Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Model Mehham

Go Kart Mozart

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Eh, call me crazy for not worrying about trough location in late October. :lol:  Just get some cooler weather and action in here. 

Yeah we're not getting big snows anyway that early unless you get really really lucky. 

3 hours ago, LoveSN+ said:

Really nice signature of a Greenland block on the 12z GEFS. Really seems like blocking could be a big factor this year.

With a moderate La Nina in place, we could be looking at prolonged miller B formation storms impacting SNE.  We could see a massive Gulf of Maine low tracks and then further into the season we could see the storms track south of BM.

Just now, nzucker said:

It was actually 10-11 and New England did very well.

11-12 was a weak La Nina with record warm temperatures.

Yes according to the CPC that winter of 2010-2011 which even Cape Cod did extremely well on, that was a moderate La Nina that was followed up by another moderate La Nina, according to the CPC ENSO conditions this past winter were moderate La Nina and this year is following that trend, so it was actually 2011-2012 that was more similar to this upcoming winter than the first year.

Baby steps I suppose.

The GEFs derivatives are pretty well clustered around a PNA regime change taking the next two weeks really to materialize. But that EPO is ugly. Gotta start somewhere, and since either of those two index can sometimes precede the other, perhaps there is hope that beyond there will be some climate correction in here ...

'Course, the best way to arouse a complete reversal is to get me to assess anything at all -

anyway, it's been a while since we've had a bona fide warm October.  I'd be curious to see what happened in Novembers following a +2 or +3 SD Octobers. 

Looks like we have a nice but quick cold shot coming for Monday and Monday night...whiplash from the warmth tomorrow.

This will feel much more like seasons in seasons. 

Monday at 18z the GFS has temps struggling to get into the mid-40s for highs (NAM is even colder for highs on Monday up here)...this is a crisp afternoon with gusty NW winds:

zHETtYK.png

Then clearing skies and these 850mb temps on Monday night...should lead to by far the coldest morning of the season on Tuesday morning with widespread 20s in NNE.

hzHas1o.png

22 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like we have a nice but quick cold shot coming for Monday and Monday night...whiplash from the warmth tomorrow.

This will feel much more like seasons in seasons. 

Monday at 18z the GFS has temps struggling to get into the mid-40s for highs (NAM is even colder for highs on Monday up here)...this is a crisp afternoon with gusty NW winds:

Then clearing skies and these 850mb temps on Monday night...should lead to by far the coldest morning of the season on Tuesday morning with widespread 20s in NNE.

My prediction for first freeze at BTV was 10/16

Ekster had 10/17. Looks like I'll have to beat him by midnight. 

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

It was bad everywhere except the picnic tables at 4K in nrn VT.

It was still very bad up there... Still is the second lowest snow total (223" or something like that) in the past 25 years, beaten only by the true ratter of 15-16 (153").

We did have over 90" in town though, which is poor but some fun events in 2011-12.  I'd put that in a category as one of those poor winters that somehow has a couple fun events (17" at home in the late Feb storm).  

4 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It was still very bad up there... Still is the second lowest snow total (223" or something like that) in the past 25 years, beaten only by the true ratter of 15-16 (153").

We did have over 90" in town though, which is poor but some fun events in 2011-12.  I'd put that in a category as one of those poor winters that somehow has a couple fun events (17" at home in the late Feb storm).  

That period from late Fall 2011 and through Jan 2013 was literally the worst period for winter wx that I can recall. It was one bone job after another...topped off with 12/29/12 where somehow I was raining with a pocket of marine taint over my fanny...but in every direction...N,W,S it was snowing. Then Will calls me up telling me how it flipped to snow as he came out of the Pru tunnel. That was a good meltdown from me. 

I can't wait until we get a big storm. I love watching how hyped up the New England threads get. Mods have to come in and say serious talk only and stuff. I remember browsing through a couple times back when I still lived in the Midwest and just was in awe. I'm on the kind of weenie level that a lot of ya'll in the Northeast are and it's just not the same in the Midwest. Can't wait for meltdowns, wishcasters, hypers, bring it all. 

1 minute ago, LoveSN+ said:

I can't wait until we get a big storm. I love watching how hyped up the New England threads get. Mods have to come in and say serious talk only and stuff. I remember browsing through a couple times back when I still lived in the Midwest and just was in awe. I'm on the kind of weenie level that a lot of ya'll in the Northeast are and it's just not the same in the Midwest. Can't wait for meltdowns, wishcasters, hypers, bring it all. 

Welcome to the land of real snow storms. LOL, J/K. However, we do snowstorms well compared to similar low elevation spots in the country. You may not have strong winds in Albany, but you can get clobbered by a slow moving cstl hugger. Unfortunately, that usually means rain and/or dryslot here. LOL.

14 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That period from late Fall 2011 and through Jan 2013 was literally the worst period for winter wx that I can recall. It was one bone job after another...topped off with 12/29/12 where somehow I was raining with a pocket of marine taint over my fanny...but in every direction...N,W,S it was snowing. Then Will calls me up telling me how it flipped to snow as he came out of the Pru tunnel. That was a good meltdown from me. 

The best part of winter 2011-12 was the multiple 3am drunken rants from that guy snowNH or something...where he'd write paragraphs that were one long run on sentence about how he's going to go crazy if he sees it snowing in northern VT one more time.  

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Welcome to the land of real snow storms. LOL, J/K. However, we do snowstorms well compared to similar low elevation spots in the country. You may not have strong winds in Albany, but you can get clobbered by a slow moving cstl hugger. Unfortunately, that usually means rain and/or dryslot here. LOL.

The overrunning events are usually good for all of us...and clippers for smaller events. But yeah, when it's a coastal, some of us usually need to do poorly for ALB to do well. Though a lot of interior New England will often do well when Albany does well...and sometimes the occasionally coastal will hit all of us...I think the Feb 9 event this past winter got all of us...it was progressive which didn't let a lot of warm air in. Even codfishsnowman was doing backflips. 

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

The overrunning events are usually good for all of us...and clippers for smaller events. But yeah, when it's a coastal, some of us usually need to do poorly for ALB to do well. Though a lot of interior New England will often do well when Albany does well...and sometimes the occasionally coastal will hit all of us...I think the Feb 9 event this past winter got all of us...it was progressive which didn't let a lot of warm air in. Even codfishsnowman was doing backflips. 

Yeah I was thinking the bigger events...storms that the Midwest can have trouble seeing as frequently as we do. Obviously they do happen there..but am thinking more the frequency of 8" or greater events. 

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

I generally look at ORH as the dividing line (what else is new? Lol) in a lot of systems.  

Coastals that jack ORH east or coastals that jack ORH westward.  But ORH usually comes out ok in both situations.  

Archived