Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

35" difference in only 2-3 miles and 300 feet?  Holy cow!

Another bit to this is just look at JSpin and me...I'm higher by a couple few hundred feet but he usually finishes about 40" more on a season.  He is the next town to the south but it's all about proximity to the actual crest.  The precipitation gradients here are insane....like 50" annual precip at my house and 75" annual precip at the mountain.  Really think about that if your town a few miles away had a spot get two more feet of water per year than you do.

6 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

But you can get clobbered in coastals. Not as often as synoptic events. When you do get nailed (1978, 2015) they are epic

Oh I was just getting a kick out of the elevation talk. Ideally I would level the Blue Hills Observatory and build my house there. However, I imagine I may be met with some resistance. 

16 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Fall of '10 if I remember right. I was traumatized when I heard Eastern was shutting down.

Damn it.  I know there would have been sounding posted for June 5th and 6th, 2010.  I can get soundings from the University of Wyoming  page but they only have official stations and 0z and 12z.  I’m looking for RUC soundings.  Wish the bufkit archive went back further 

2 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Looks to be about 0.4" of rain thus far.  Hoping this moves out soon.  Wedding to go to.

Have not paid attention to you guys down there.   Just a perfect day up here for Oct 14th.  Sunshine few Cu  72/51F at 230pm light breeze.  Can't get better than that!

17 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Baking out. Was at a pumpkin picking farm with the wife and kid, we were attacked by bees. Left without a pumpkin. 

Ha, we just got back from doing the same thing. I saw 1 pumpkin with at least 2 dozen yellow jackets on it. I was being attacked the entire time. Kids were definitely not a fan. Even the bees are angry about how warm it has been.

66/63 - Occasional Light Drizzle now after a good soaking rain this morning.

.74 since rain began at 7:45am.

Because of all the rain the past month - lack of sun - and high humidity, there is green mold and mildew growing on just about everything outside. 

6 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Ha, we just got back from doing the same thing. I saw 1 pumpkin with at least 2 dozen yellow jackets on it. I was being attacked the entire time. Kids were definitely not a fan. Even the bees are angry about how warm it has been.

It's great and brutal at the same time. We can delay the true cold for winter and still enjoy outdoor activities, the warm kind, but I enjoy the changing of the seasons. Picking pumpkins in shorts and flip flops just didn't feel right. Even the homeboss commented, a non weather nerd noticed it.    

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Out west has had a ridiculous amount of early season snow from late September through now.

Jackson hole has a 24" snow depth above mid-mountain with 30" on the season so far.

Last night they got hit with a nice little October storm.

Y7oCCut.jpg

g8sAVil.jpg

WvC9Bwi.jpg

Nice.

Warm and sunny all day at the Pit.  Glad we don't live in eastern Mass.

On 10/13/2017 at 4:58 PM, powderfreak said:

The best is to have a mix of both.

Elevated valleys in the 700-1200ft range get you both...or even take it to the next level at a place like Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, valley at 1,800ft.

Exactly.  I average about 60" which is much better than the CT River Valley and is not appreciably lower than a 1K hill to my south along with radiational cooling which helps lower temperatures which helps with snow retention.  There's some nice 1K low spots surrounded by 1.2-1.3K hills in other parts of the area that would be better but I'm happy where I am.

Archived