Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, LoveSN+ said:

Core punching is not something I would generally suggest. Not sure about you, but I really don't want baseballs (or bigger) coming down on my vehicle, which has glass windows. Additionally, if you are in the hail, you won't be seeing the potentially amazing structure of the supercell itself.

I wouldn't want to have my car in baseball hail but I would love to see it.  What I would do is probably bring a canopy with me and if I was going to position to be in front of a monster hail producer I would set it up over my car.  

I want to both core punch and see the structure lol.  

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

I wouldn't want to have my car in baseball hail but I would love to see it.  What I would do is probably bring a canopy with me and if I was going to position to be in front of a monster hail producer I would set it up over my car.  

These storms will be magnitudes more severe than anything you've likely experienced. Core punching is a lot more dangerous out there than it is around here when you might only reasonably expected some 1" hail.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Wiz chasing in the plains guarantees a F3/4 in Windsor Locks area that week.

This is also true.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

These storms will be magnitudes more severe than anything you've likely experienced. Core punching is a lot more dangerous out there than it is around here when you might only reasonably expected some 1" hail.

This is also true.

2 or 3 years back I was less than a 1/4 mile away from 1.75'' to 2'' hail in PA.  I was so pissed.  I did get 1''+ hail where I was though!!!  I got upset when I saw the LSR and saw the location of the 1.75-2'' hail

Just now, weatherwiz said:

2 or 3 years back I was less than a 1/4 mile away from 1.75'' to 2'' hail in PA.  I was so pissed.  I did get 1''+ hail where I was though!!!  I got upset when I saw the LSR and saw the location of the 1.75-2'' hail

I've never seen 1" hail. But I have accidentally core punched a few storms. And even blinding rain, penny size hail, and 60 mph winds is pretty scary when the TOR comes across the weather radio and you can't see a thing.

I like being able to see the structure so I know what is going on with the storm. Being blind in the bear's cage does nothing for me. And most of those core punch videos you see aren't intentional in the sense that they are only trying to get big hail. They are usually trying to get ahead of the storm and through is the only way to do it. 

Just now, OceanStWx said:

I've never seen 1" hail. But I have accidentally core punched a few storms. And even blinding rain, penny size hail, and 60 mph winds is pretty scary when the TOR comes across the weather radio and you can't see a thing.

I like being able to see the structure so I know what is going on with the storm. Being blind in the bear's cage does nothing for me. And most of those core punch videos you see aren't intentional in the sense that they are only trying to get big hail. They are usually trying to get ahead of the storm and through is the only way to do it. 

I've seen 1'' hail several times.  I've actually been really blessed with hail.  The first time I ever saw hail was 05/31/98.  Then I didn't see any again until 2000 and then I saw hail at least once (but no more than twice) from every year through 2009 I think it was.  

When I chase with my friend around here we have like different views...he loves looking at the structures (which I don't...I really love it too) but I also want to get in the middle and worst of it.  Now perhaps one day if that happens I might change my stance but I want to be in that core where baseball hail is falling and winds are knocking down limbs and trees.  If I were to see a tornado I would want to be far away and have it over an open field.  

If I was truly, truly smart enough I would love to have instruments and such to bring in the middle of these storms to really understand mesoscale/microscale impacts further

7 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

I'm no severe weather expert, but I can tell you for a fact that a canopy won't do squat to protect your car from baseball-sized hail. not to mention the wind would blow it away in a second.

Just now, dendrite said:

Warm snowcover in July. I think that would affect my gardening.

Although imagine it as a mulch. Water slowly seeps into the ground. Snow blocks the weeds and pests. Open up some holes in the pack to plant your seedlings in. Maybe it would work.

Although if you're raising the melting point to 70F we'll be an ice cap within a couple of years.

11 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

What's a good amount of money to have to storm chase in the Plains for like a week?  What would be a comfortable amount to bring?  I wouldn't go alone...probably 3-4 people.  Would $1000 per person be sufficient?  

11 hours ago, LoveSN+ said:

I've been two years in a row for two weeks and I usually end up spending about 300-500 on food, and roughly 60 a night for a hotel. Seems like 1000 would be fine as long as you aren't fine dining every night, staying at expensive hotels, or driving a hummer up and down the plains.

11 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

May want to avoid OK and their watered down beer then. 

Though I would avoid OK anyway. Chaser convergence is not my idea of a good time.

Agree on $1000-1200 per person in group of 3-4. Try to have emergency funds just in case something happens.

I went this past May and saw four tornadoes in Oklahoma and Texas. I didn't think chaser convergence was that awful when we're out there on days with a PDS moderate risk day and a high risk in Oklahoma, but we also respected our storms and stayed a little further than most people. Heard it was bad closer to tornadoes we saw, however.

Don't be afraid to chase days with 2-5% tornado risk. Some of more underrated chases happen on those days and you can see amazing structure on some of these storms. It was a lot less stressful chasing LP supercells in New Mexico on 5/22, knowing that we're likely to not see a tornado, than chasing messy storms during 5/18 high risk and lucking into Seiling/Waynoka tornado on a fluke route we took to get there. We also found ourselves in middle of a cell merger with a tornado warning. I wouldn't recommend doing that... at all...

Archived