Dano62
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
37 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

That widespread 1-2" won't be panning out

Lots of folks will get 0.5"-1.0" though.  Much needed.

It was pretty breezy a little while ago.  Leaf disaster

My guess is the tippers are underestimating some of this. I have 0.59" in my Davis, but 0.78" in the Stratus. I'd be interested to see the gauge comparisons from others that own both.

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

My guess is the tippers are underestimating some of this. I have 0.59" in my Davis, but 0.78" in the Stratus. I'd be interested to see the gauge comparisons from others that own both.

It is pouring drizzle right now lol.

Smallest droplet stuff that could still fall but instantly soaked outside.  It almost looks like fog in the floodlights.

40 minutes ago, dendrite said:

What do places like ORH and ORE and FIT use?  ORE might get to 1" today but they might be short  ORH looks well short  FIT splits the difference

NH jack for this one by the looks of it

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

I see that a lot. Maybe because of wind, but my Davis can be woefully low compared to my crappy Home Depot gauge on my fence. 

21 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

What do places like ORH and ORE and FIT use?  ORE might get to 1" today but they might be short  ORH looks well short  FIT splits the difference

They should be okay, but there may be a bit of undercatch in the windy spots. They all have weighing gauges and most should have wind screens. Maybe I have bird poop in my Davis cone too...I'll have to check tomorrow. But a lot of my Davis/Stratus discrepancies occur with heavier small droplet events.

Just now, dendrite said:

They should be okay, but there may be a bit of undercatch in the windy spots. They all have weighing gauges and most should have wind screens. Maybe I have bird poop in my Davis cone too...I'll have to check tomorrow. But a lot of my Davis/Stratus discrepancies occur with heavier small droplet events.

Just curious for why this may be? 

35 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

BTV up to 1.10" and over this way the ski resort is at 1.13". 

Large area of 1.5"+ across northern New York into northern Vermont (particularly Champlain Valley just north of BTV might be the New England jackpot), southern Quebec and clipping northern NH and western Maine.

18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Just curious for why this may be? 

Not really sure. My stratus should have as much undercatch as the Davis. The only difference would be splash out when the tipper tips, but rates weren't that high. I have my stratus lower too near the ground. Maybe less turbulence in my case? idk

Archived