Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Going to be a hot one today for sure.

My weather station hit 89 yesterday and KHVN reported a high of 88. Pretty impressive for the CT shoreline this time of the year.

I bet BDL pulls a 95 today. Temps ran way higher yesterday than forecasted highs.

Some fog this morning in Southeast Massachusetts, and locally dense fog on the Cape and Islands, but this will thin and lift during the morning.

Sunny skies will heat the air mass and bring very warm temperatures to most of the region. Light wind will allow a sea breeze to develop, and that sea breeze will hold back temperatures near the coast from getting quite as warm.

Record high temperatures are possible today in some places. Here are the historical values...compare them with the forecast values on the map. Also check the min temperatures for tonight.

Record high values for today... Boston 90 in 1959, Worcester 85 in 2010, Hartford 89 in 1959, Providence 87 in 1959.

21951014_1492180327543000_8085547088219480824_o.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Otherwise, another very warm day across the region with a good
chance of record highs being met at multiple locations, ranging
from the 80s at the coast to the lower 90s across the interior.
Readings were several degrees above MOS on Saturday and will
continue that trend. See the climate section below for records.

Record High Temperature          Forecast High Temperature
-----------------------------    -------------------------
Central Park........89 (1959)    91
LaGuardia...........89 (1959)    90
Kennedy.............88 (1970)    88
Islip...............83 (2009)    85
Newark..............92 (1959)    93
Bridgeport..........87 (1959)    86

NWS Boston

Full sun will mean deep mixing, with the layer expected to reach to
at least the 850 mb pressure level. The models have been known to
underestimate this depth, so mixing above that level is a reasonable
scenario, and would mean surface temperatures warmer than our
estimates. Both the GFS and ECMWF project 850 mb temps of 17-19C,
the NAM and GGEM 18-19C. This suggests inland areas will reach max
sfc temps in the upper 80s and lower 90s. Light wind under the high
pressure will allow sea breezes to develop later this morning. This
will buffer temps, so expect lower max temps in Eastern Mass and RI
especially along the coast.

Interior climate sites are expected to reach max temps at or near
record levels. The sea breeze at Boston should keep Logan Airport
below its record.

7 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Putting the fact it's a nice little town aside, I'm glad I don't live there.  Not summer, relatively crappy snow in the winter.

My wife is from Vermont and I lived there from 2004-2008. Don't have the stats to pull up but I remember it being quite snowy and cold back then. We lived in Richmond in 2007 and the valentines day storm has been unrivaled since for epic snowfall. We would move back in a heartbeat if only the jobs paid more up there...

First statement like this all warm season...

Special Statement

Expires 6:00 AM EDT on September 25, 2017
Statement as of 4:26 am EDT on September 24, 2017

... Extended period of high heat index values... 

An extended period of high heat index values will begin today and
continue right through Tuesday across northern New York and 
Vermont. The heat index is a measure of how hot it really feels 
when relative humidity is factored in with the air temperature. 
Values are expected to be in the upper 80s to lower 90s during the
afternoon hours today through Tuesday due to record breaking heat
expected during this time period. This will create a greater 
likelihood of heat related illnesses... especially when prolonged 
exposure or strenuous activity takes place in these conditions.

Anyone with outdoor activities planned today through Tuesday may
be more susceptible to heat related illnesses... especially if you
will be outdoors for an extended period of time or taking part in
strenuous activity. Stay hydrated and take breaks in the 
shade... check on elderly family or friends who may not have air 
conditioning... and do not leave kids or pets unattended in 
vehicles. 

3 hours ago, BrianW said:

Going to be a hot one today for sure.

My weather station hit 89 yesterday and KHVN reported a high of 88. Pretty impressive for the CT shoreline this time of the year.

I bet BDL pulls a 95 today. Temps ran way higher yesterday than forecasted highs.

Some fog this morning in Southeast Massachusetts, and locally dense fog on the Cape and Islands, but this will thin and lift during the morning.

Sunny skies will heat the air mass and bring very warm temperatures to most of the region. Light wind will allow a sea breeze to develop, and that sea breeze will hold back temperatures near the coast from getting quite as warm.

Record high temperatures are possible today in some places. Here are the historical values...compare them with the forecast values on the map. Also check the min temperatures for tonight.

Record high values for today... Boston 90 in 1959, Worcester 85 in 2010, Hartford 89 in 1959, Providence 87 in 1959.

21951014_1492180327543000_8085547088219480824_o.png

Yikes at Death Valley!  

Unbelievable.  September is the new August.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Awesome. It's a beautiful campus. I also recall from competing there the chow was not bad by Founders League standards. PA and Deerfield win in that department. You considering any other prep schools?

Looking at a few.  We visited Deerfield last weekend--I love that, and it's close to here so she could be a day student.  She's currently at Stoneleigh, so that's a possibility (she wants to leave).  NMH is nearby, too.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Wow I didn't know your pimp hand is way strong out there in GC. 

I work up the road from there. You can stop by and get a weenie tour. :lol:

LOL.

You can explain to me why I'm not going to get any qpf.

hmm... Yet the 00z NAM MOS products backed down a couple ticks.  i'm wondering if there's some climo contaminating those numbers ...even in this shorter range, too.  usually that's more of a factor beyond D3 but ... in this case, there is no reason to assess less ..yet the NAM keeps shaving.. Now has 86 at KFIT, which should be favored for winning the heat race in a set up like this.  interesting... gotta figure the GFS' 91 is closer to reality out this way.

we bottomed out at 54 ... we were 70 already an hour ago, now 77.  one of the more impressive diurnal recoveries i can remember actually.  interesting under the radar Met statistic about this is the rate and total recovery aspect. 

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This morning's low of 61F on the summit is already hotter than the average high for the date. 

Already up to 68F up at the picnic tables.  

Today looks to be the hottest day here (exceeding 84F at MVL) since early June.

WOW...just saw MOS put up a string of 90, 91, 91 the next 3 days at MVL. I wonder what the latest heat wave on record is there.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Could tickle 90F here today.  Doubting I hit it but will be toasty.  I've been lazy and have not shut down the pool.  Still paying the electricity and chemicals...but might be fun to use in late September. 

Cranked up the heater this morning...water should be at around 83-84 by noon...solar panels providing free electricity for 140000 btu heat pump is a beautiful thing.  

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I'll answer my own question. BTV's latest 90+ is apparently 92F on 9/16/39. So this would be a shattering for MVL.

Yeah I'd assume it would crush it.  I doubt we do heat wave but would be something to get 90F as even in June it only got to 89F during that real hot stretch.  

MVL has a pretty short POR though...like 1987 or something.

26 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Looking at a few.  We visited Deerfield last weekend--I love that, and it's close to here so she could be a day student.  She's currently at Stoneleigh, so that's a possibility (she wants to leave).  NMH is nearby, too.

LOL.

You can explain to me why I'm not going to get any qpf.

Tough to go wrong with any of them. Several college friends went to DA and loved it (though as a Choatie I'm required to wrinkle my nose). My aunt went to Northfield. The campus is so big you get bussed between classes. Might I also suggest Taft or Hotchkiss? My brother went to Taft and considers his four years there the best of his life to date. Both schools are an easy drive from GC.  

Archived