Welcome to American Weather
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MetHerb

Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

2,373 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

noon time temp of 56 at the pit.  nice bresk in the public garden now.  all the sunny benches taken with those in the shade sitting vacant.  total reversal of yesterday.

CAR just slipped back to 48 as a sprinkle rolled through.

8B0 at 46 this hour.

:shiver:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jeez this is impressive.

MVL is 52/34 at noon on Sept 1st, with no rain or anything to keep temps down.

This is just pure cold airmass.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

:weenie:

But given the cool temps this morning and dews in the 30s, a pocket of drier air aloft could certainly have squeezed out a few mangled flakes.

It was from someone there, but apparently the guy is legit so who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was wondering because we had a min of 33F at 4kft....now up to 35F but there was a thick above freezing layer to get flakes even to 2,500ft.

Guess dry air could do it.

I'm sure it wasn't pretty, whatever it was. MWN had the SG this morning, so there were ice crystals to be had. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

CAR just slipped back to 48 as a sprinkle rolled through.

8B0 at 46 this hour.

:shiver:

47F right now at the office and base village here.  Anything above 1,200ft is in the 40s around here. Low 50s for 500-1,200ft.

Windy too.  

35F top of Gondola at 3,600ft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CoastalWx said:

It was from someone there, but apparently the guy is legit so who knows. 

I don't rule it out, that place is a different world. I was in the HIE area two weekends ago and that felt far away. And Pittsburg is still like 50 miles north of there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

47F right now at the office and base village here.  Anything above 1,200ft is in the 40s.

Windy too.  

35F top of Gondola at 3,600ft.

Glad I hiked Katahdin last weekend...

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OceanStWx said:

I don't rule it out, that place is a different world. I was in the HIE area two weekends ago and that felt far away. And Pittsburg is still like 50 miles north of there.

And they always seem like 5F cooler than modeled from 900-850 LOL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

until persistence knocks over... this is 1995 autumn to me.. 

We'll get dying frets of heat ...but latitudes that flip onto the polarward side of the westerlies are going to be (similarly) hopeless to go back. 

That was 1995 incarnate.  

how wsx the following winter?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't rule it out, that place is a different world. I was in the HIE area two weekends ago and that felt far away. And Pittsburg is still like 50 miles north of there.

They tend to track pretty similarly to here at the ski resort base.  The climate is very similar from what I've seen in terms of temps. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It likely was mangled crap flakes as Chris said.

This time of year even graupel counts as snow.  I could see it in a very light shower with dry air under the cloud bases.  

The sky here definitely had that snow grains look to it...like you half expected some small mostly evaporated pellets or something to fall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's an anomalously cool air mass ...  Ha, the way this summer has unfolded with that persistence thing, it's not even clear if this is actually 'early' or just inevitable relative to. 

But it is early of course... This is a shot across the bow with panache and stank put on it. 

Get a load of the 12z GFS transitioning Irma into a full on CCB pasty cake snow bomb for the lower Maritimes....  I'm like, whaaaa -   the fact that any snow happened last night now the models has that. i mean holy schit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very winter like day with high winds gusting over 50mph out of the NW putting the Gondola on Wind Hold.  Wind hold is almost unheard of in the warmer season operations but today's CAA push has mixed down some strong winds.  Sustained NW flow at 30-50kts is hard to get in the warm season.

First time wearing hats and gloves this season...everyone out in their winter gear above 2,000ft.  

Funny how say mid-30s with wind chills in the 20s feels like Siberia this time of year.  Where in March, 37F on the mountain islike t-shirt weather in the sun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Glad I hiked Katahdin last weekend...

Probably would want crampons today. 
Not too unusual for there.  When I hiked the Knife Edge (Aug. 6, 1973) I met a family who had been there the same week in 1972, and had to do most of their walking a few yards down on the south side, to avoid the windblown sleet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This time of year even graupel counts as snow.  I could see it in a very light shower with dry air under the cloud bases.  

The sky here definitely had that snow grains look to it...like you half expected some small mostly evaporated pellets or something to fall. 

Is the picnic table cam turned on?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Probably would want crampons today. 
Not too unusual for there.  When I hiked the Knife Edge (Aug. 6, 1973) I met a family who had been there the same week in 1972, and had to do most of their walking a few yards down on the south side, to avoid the windblown sleet.

It was probably 45ish when I went up two weekends ago. I'd say a good 15ish degrees colder today, not to mention socked in with clouds.

Honestly even a mid 50s day on the summit might've felt awfully hot after that hike.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wish I had!  It's cold here at Baxter today.  Wind was almost producing whitecaps on Basin Ponds

As grueling as it can be, safe to say I'm hooked now. Both on Baxter and getting into that 4000 footer list. I'm trying to think of which to hit next, and something that maybe my wife wouldn't hate. The Osceolas sound decent and could be nice as the foliage turns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, OceanStWx said:

As grueling as it can be, safe to say I'm hooked now. Both on Baxter and getting into that 4000 footer list. I'm trying to think of which to hit next, and something that maybe my wife wouldn't hate. The Osceolas sound decent and could be nice as the foliage turns.

Baxter will spoil you - nothing in the Whites compares.  As for the 48, I'm not into the list.  A fair number of them offer no views, and I'm kinda a view snob.  Many sub-4k peaks are much better in that department.  I'd suggest taking the mrs to Chocorua up the Champney Falls Trail.  Not a 4k, but fairly easy grades and stupendous views.  If she isn't hooked then, let her go.  LOL!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

Baxter will spoil you - nothing in the Whites compares.  As for the 48, I'm not into the list.  A fair number of them offer no views, and I'm kinda a view snob.  Many sub-4k peaks are much better in that department.  I'd suggest taking the mrs to Chocorua up the Champney Falls Trail.  Not a 4k, but fairly easy grades and stupendous views.  If she isn't hooked then, let her go.  LOL!

I am in it for the views myself, but now that I have gotten that list into my head it will gnaw at me if I don't complete it. I think the prospect of a relatively short (distance and height) Chocorua would be an easy sell though.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Baxter will spoil you - nothing in the Whites compares.  As for the 48, I'm not into the list.  A fair number of them offer no views, and I'm kinda a view snob.  Many sub-4k peaks are much better in that department.  I'd suggest taking the mrs to Chocorua up the Champney Falls Trail.  Not a 4k, but fairly easy grades and stupendous views.  If she isn't hooked then, let her go.  LOL!

For Maine 4Ks outside of Baxter that offer views, I'd cite Bigelow, Sugarloaf, Abraham, and Saddleback including the Horn.  The others are pretty fuzzy on top.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Holy crap it's a different world in the Lakes region. We chilly. 

Welcome. Hope the traffic wasn't too bad for you. It was getting there when I snuck out early at noon. 

Down to 54F with a brisk wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0