Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

50 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Fascinating.

This is the 925mb temps at the same time as the EURO 850 temps I posted above.

So what is causing those H85 temps to be so weird looking?  Is that upslope/downslope related at the 850mb level but with cold low levels no surface mixing?

Edit... Yes answered my own question with the sounding and you can see the downslope warming even at 700mb downwind of the mountains.  Just doesn't get mixed all the way to the surface.

925.jpg.5c2895aca7d790a0444cb687f907d736.jpg

I've never noticed it like that. A downslope component not felt at the surface as much as you would think just by looking at 850. It's also why you would not expect so much cold with 528 thicknesses over us. This is a true shallow arctic airmass. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I've never noticed it like that. A downslope component not felt at the surface as much as you would think just by looking at 850. It's also why you would not expect so much cold with 528 thicknesses over us. This is a true shallow arctic airmass. 

Seems even more pronounced on the 12z ECM too.

-19C over like HIE while it's -10C over North Conway.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I am sure they are  painstakingly calculated for all members.

wind advisories up across all of New England except NVT gusts near 60 in elevated areas of NNE ASOUT

Near Phils Condo at Loon

Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a temperature falling to around 10 by 10am. Wind chill values as low as -14. Windy, with a northwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

wind advisories up across all of New England except NVT gusts near 60 in elevated areas of NNE ASOUT

Near Phils Condo at Loon

Mostly cloudy, then gradually becoming sunny, with a temperature falling to around 10 by 10am. Wind chill values as low as -14. Windy, with a northwest wind around 35 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph.

Elevated. Nobody doubts high spots. 

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Near Phils Condo at Loon

A "situational" advisory from GYX, due to residual damage from last week.  N.Maine had a somewhat similar WAA for "up to 2 inches" of snow - first accum and possibly in squalls.

While true wind advisory criteria may only be met
briefly and locally, there are many partially broken trees and
branches in precarious positions near roadways and other areas
that could easily be knocked down by wind gusts around 40 MPH.
Scattered power outages are expected. Therefore, a wind advisory
is in effect for Friday.

9 minutes ago, tamarack said:

A "situational" advisory from GYX, due to residual damage from last week.  N.Maine had a somewhat similar WAA for "up to 2 inches" of snow - first accum and possibly in squalls.

is in effect for Friday.

Sounds like 60+ in the interior.

4 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Sounds like 60+ in the interior.

Sultan of Snark can't read

you are going to bust my balls over 5-10 miles an hour and act like I am some kid reading wind gusts maps?. The original intent of the post was to ask why GYX had no advisory when EPS had a strong signal of a very strong isobaric couplet with wind gusts up to 60 MPH in interior elevated Maine ,and as far as your mixing comment, seems NWS begs to differ

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Sultan of Snark can't read

you are going to bust my balls over 5-10 miles an hour and act like I am some kid reading wind gusts maps?. The original intent of the post was to ask why GYX had no advisory when EPS had a strong signal of a very strong isobaric couplet with wind gusts up to 60 MPH in interior elevated Maine ,and as far as your mixing comment, seems NWS begs to differ

Maybe my reading composition suffers, but 40 mph gusts with true advisory speeds only briefly and locally doesn't tell me that GYX expects 60 (which I might label as "warning criteria briefly and locally.")

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Maybe my reading composition suffers, but 40 mph gusts with true advisory speeds only briefly and locally doesn't tell me that GYX expects 60 (which I might label as "warning criteria briefly and locally.")

Point and click at elevation in their NH zones, I didn't make the grids

Got home from work and threw the frisbee for the dog while it was still light out and found a dead falcon in the front yard with what appeared to be a broken neck. 
It was in the middle of the yard, not really close to any trees and I'm wondering what in the world could have happened?   Fenced in area so no predators would have dropped it there. 

43 minutes ago, tamarack said:

is in effect for Friday.

That's actually a very good point by GYX.  

Theres a ton of widowmakers and broken tree trunks just resting on nearby trees.  I have even seen some hanging over power lines.  Maybe we get power outages from 20kts haha.

36 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Got home from work and threw the frisbee for the dog while it was still light out and found a dead falcon in the front yard with what appeared to be a broken neck. 
It was in the middle of the yard, not really close to any trees and I'm wondering what in the world could have happened?   Fenced in area so no predators would have dropped it there. 

Drone blade as he came in for a kill....

Archived