Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

A picless tour, how sad

I don't have before pictures handy, so posting pictures of things that are gone doesn't really work.

But I guess this one works.  They stood the banyon back up after it fell, but the house is going to be demolished.  Supposedly, this is not even the first time this has happened with this particular tree.  

20171101_171834.jpg

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I don't have before pictures handy, so posting pictures of things that are gone doesn't really work.

But I guess this one works.  They stood the banyon back up after it fell, but the house is going to be demolished.  Supposedly, this is not even the first time this has happened with this particular tree.  

20171101_171834.jpg

Holy ****

3 hours ago, dendrite said:

55F

Bring that up here

Summer was  800 feet away.  While it was in the mid 50's today and socked in with fog and still winds I grabbed the drone and flew straight up.  Busted into sunshine with a high wind banner on my drone app.  I just bought a cheapy digital thermometer that records highs and lows so I can get quick and dirty temp readings as to what is going on overhead...

53 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

Completed my damage tour today.  Pretty sad to see many of my most favorite trees gone.  The monstrous rubber tree at the corner of Eaton and Williams is just a stump.  Many banyans are gone. 

The West Martello gardens are almost unrecognizable- it's now an open sunny space instead of a dense jungle.  The main banyon that grew over the walls and archways uprooted, destroying damn near everything.  The lower half of the garden ended up underwater and had to be replanted from scratch. 

The Gardens Hotel also suffered a pretty insane amount of loss, however this morning there was a huge truck unloading an entire nursery worth of plants and trees there.

On the bright side, some of the royal poincianas that are re-leafing are currently in full bloom.  I've never actually gotten to see one in full bloom before- no wonder they are called flame trees.

Dominica got basically wiped out by Maria.  That island was known for large mature tropical rain forests. Much was mowed down.  What trees remained were stripped bare of any leaves.  This guy down there has a drone and has been flying it every few days and posting on Utube.  It is amazing how fast the forest canopy  (what's left of it) is turning green.  Big trees can't be replaced but it's nice to see how fast the tropics grow back.  I'm sure the same thing is happening on all the islands...

10 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nothing wrong with that idea if it works out!! That sounds great!!   

Hope it starts early too...especially in Maine.   Hoping N. Aroostook gets the goods by Xmas this year like they did last year....got a New Sled to pick up in Caribou on 12/26, and would love to be able to break her in that week while I'm up there!!   

What did you get, an 850?  I have a new to us 600 ACE for my wife and may pick up another for my son. Between us, we’ve probably ginxed all of NNE for the winter. 

22 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Nothing wrong with that idea if it works out!! That sounds great!!   

Hope it starts early too...especially in Maine.   Hoping N. Aroostook gets the goods by Xmas this year like they did last year....got a New Sled to pick up in Caribou on 12/26, and would love to be able to break her in that week while I'm up there!!   

They were broadcasting live from the WFO at GYX, What did you pick up for a sled?

10 minutes ago, mreaves said:

What did you get, an 850?  I have a new to us 600 ACE for my wife and may pick up another for my son. Between us, we’ve probably ginxed all of NNE for the winter. 

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

What did you pick up for a sled?

Snow checked a "2018 Yamaha Sidewinder Turbo RTX-50th anniversary Edition."  Can't wait to pick it up and ride it!!  

Lol...I guess we all just Ginxed NNE now with these new sleds we want to ride.  

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

Snow checked a "2018 Yamaha Sidewinder Turbo RTX-50th anniversary Edition."  Can't wait to pick it up and ride it!!  

Nice looking sled, Nice price tag too............lol

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I have a friend who got a Sidewinder,Orange and Black  “Motoski” edition last year. He loves it.  The YamaCats have been pretty successful. 

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/11/02/understaffed-weather-service-has-eliminated-balloon-launches-that-collect-vital-forecast-data/?utm_term=.c9fbab31387b

Obviously recruiting and retaining people for some of these AK jobs is tough, but sometimes we just shoot ourselves in the foot with this stuff. That's not an area we want to be cutting balloon launches from. Time and time again we see how critical that region is for forecasting East Coast events.

Also they slip in the paragraph at the end about WPC ending mesoscale precip discussions overnight, because flash flooding is never a concern overnight.

It's also tiresome to hear high level management continue to say they aggressively filling position or new hires are in the queue. In the queue just means they've announced the job as vacant. It doesn't mean they are actively trying to fill the position. We're one of the lucky WFOs (for now anyway), but even then we have had two intern spots vacant for over a year each. It's not like we aren't graduating enough qualified college kids every year.

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Great choice by the way.

Yeah, I rented one in Quebec last March and since my son was too young to ride on his own up there I had him on back the whole time. I was a bit worried that it would be underpowered but it handeled both of us pretty well so I figured it would make a great sled for my wife. The one I picked up is a 2011 with 2100 miles. It’s a Grand Touring but she won’t have the back seat on so it will be like a Renegade. I got a decent deal on it and we keep them a long time. I just saw one on Craig’s List down in Loudon, NH with 6000 miles on it that they want $3600 for. I may take a ride this weekend to check it out. 

28 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Not sure if anyone has seen this yet: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/11/02/understaffed-weather-service-has-eliminated-balloon-launches-that-collect-vital-forecast-data/?utm_term=.c9fbab31387b

Obviously recruiting and retaining people for some of these AK jobs is tough, but sometimes we just shoot ourselves in the foot with this stuff. That's not an area we want to be cutting balloon launches from. Time and time again we see how critical that region is for forecasting East Coast events.

Also they slip in the paragraph at the end about WPC ending mesoscale precip discussions overnight, because flash flooding is never a concern overnight.

It's also tiresome to hear high level management continue to say they aggressively filling position or new hires are in the queue. In the queue just means they've announced the job as vacant. It doesn't mean they are actively trying to fill the position. We're one of the lucky WFOs (for now anyway), but even then we have had two intern spots vacant for over a year each. It's not like we aren't graduating enough qualified college kids every year.

Great place for DIT, happy birthday Kevin by the way

15 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Two weeks to go before leaving my job in Boston and............I total my car on Rt. 2 out near 495.  Totally sucks!!  I nor the folks in either of the other two cars got hurt, forutnatley.  But, two of us needed to  get towed away.  I did NOT want to get a new car at this point....ugh.

Yikes .. glad you ok. What happened?

18 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

Two weeks to go before leaving my job in Boston and............I total my car on Rt. 2 out near 495.  Totally sucks!!  I nor the folks in either of the other two cars got hurt, forutnatley.  But, two of us needed to  get towed away.  I did NOT want to get a new car at this point....ugh.

Glad you are OK. Enjoy the mew Mercedes.

Archived