SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

ORH finished OCtober at +8.0F      Brutal

Broke 1947 and 1920 record for warmest October. Now we're going for the latest freeze on record, but I don't think we will make it. 1977 and 1916 had Nov 11th. Late next week looks pretty cold right now...though things could change.

9 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

San Francisco gets Jimmy G, and we get Hoyer...and a 2nd round pick in 2018...

Not sure how I feel about that.

I am a jets fan but respect the pats, somewhat, but it’s a good move. You were gonna lose Jimbo unless you franchised him for double digit millions after the season. Willing to do that for a couple years until Tom the nasty decides to hang it up? Pats are one of the most money savvy franchises and they always one step ahead with their roster compared to the league. You will be just fine.

Pats waited until the last available time to send Jimmy G off while they still could get something for him, And folks were worried who would back up TB12....lol, Pats always have a plan, That's why he went to the 49'ers, It was reported that Hoyer was going to be part of the deal anyways, So the intentions were to sign him once released, He knows the system, And has two weeks to get back in it with the bye week.

1 hour ago, #NoPoles said:

San Francisco gets Jimmy G, and we get Hoyer...and a 2nd round pick in 2018...

Not sure how I feel about that.

I'm not sure what 49ers are trying to do there. They have a culture and management problems, which I think is setting up Jimmy G to fail there.

My Rams were in the same position until they got rid of Fisher. It's them and Seahawks to finish the year battling for NFC West.

33 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

I'm not sure what 49ers are trying to do there. They have a culture and management problems, which I think is setting up Jimmy G to fail there.

My Rams were in the same position until they got rid of Fisher. It's them and Seahawks to finish the year battling for NFC West.

I won't disagree with this, Not much of a supporting cast for him there.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I won't disagree with this, Not much of a supporting cast for him there.

At least he'll make off with a decent pay and a starting job he wanted for a long time. However, instead of waiting the season out and grabbing large contract from a desperate team (think Brock Osweiler), he's being forced to prove himself and risk earning less next year. Can't imagine he's thrilled about that part.

48 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

At least he'll make off with a decent pay and a starting job he wanted for a long time. However, instead of waiting the season out and grabbing large contract from a desperate team (think Brock Osweiler), he's being forced to prove himself and risk earning less next year. Can't imagine he's thrilled about that part.

If you’re good at what you do and believe in yourself, that’s not a concern. If you’re mentally inept to handle the spotlight like so many have before, then yes....you worry about the quick money, try to get it, and then become a 3rd stringer until your retire. 

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Pats waited until the last available time to send Jimmy G off while they still could get something for him, And folks were worried who would back up TB12....lol, Pats always have a plan, That's why he went to the 49'ers, It was reported that Hoyer was going to be part of the deal anyways, So the intentions were to sign him once released, He knows the system, And has two weeks to get back in it with the bye week.

You potentially gave away your future for what...a 2nd pic and maybe 2-3 yrs of winning?  Something happened between Spring and now. Jimmy definitely did not want to be on the bench. Anyways, this is not a sports forum.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Broke 1947 and 1920 record for warmest October. Now we're going for the latest freeze on record, but I don't think we will make it. 1977 and 1916 had Nov 11th. Late next week looks pretty cold right now...though things could change.

It is amusing to see your temps on par with ours here in Georgia :)

But I do selfishly hope that the snow waits until late next week, as in Saturday+, after I head back home (work has me flying up to your neck of the woods every few weeks, which is why I'm lurking in these forums).  The Maine coworkers can just wait til my next visit to abuse their Southern teammate about "this isn't COLD, nope ..." while I am parka-shopping ...

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

You potentially gave away your future for what...a 2nd pic and maybe 2-3 yrs of winning?  Something happened between Spring and now. Jimmy definitely did not want to be on the bench. Anyways, this is not a sports forum.

Was Jimmy that highly thought of within the inner circle? he looked ok filling in last season but nothing special, though it takes time to develop at the position. but nowadays its instant success or your out. I thought they got a good deal for someone they were going to lose in a few months anyway. Can’t pay your backup next season $15 mill. 

Yes, back to winter banter. We don’t want to talk about Boston sports for too long. 

Is this correct?

I got a problem wrong and I guess the saturation vapor pressure (es?) at 21C is 25mb...but I am not sure on how exactly to know that but I think I might have gotten it.

Since I don't know and can't find the equation to find it I went to a skew T and went to the 21C contour at 1000mb.  From there I just rose isothermally to the 622mb level...it kind of looked like I ended up at the 25 g/kg mixing ratio line...and that is just changed to mb.  Is this right?

Completed my damage tour today.  Pretty sad to see many of my most favorite trees gone.  The monstrous rubber tree at the corner of Eaton and Williams is just a stump.  Many banyans are gone. 

The West Martello gardens are almost unrecognizable- it's now an open sunny space instead of a dense jungle.  The main banyon that grew over the walls and archways uprooted, destroying damn near everything.  The lower half of the garden ended up underwater and had to be replanted from scratch. 

The Gardens Hotel also suffered a pretty insane amount of loss, however this morning there was a huge truck unloading an entire nursery worth of plants and trees there.

On the bright side, some of the royal poincianas that are re-leafing are currently in full bloom.  I've never actually gotten to see one in full bloom before- no wonder they are called flame trees.

Just now, eekuasepinniW said:

Completed my damage tour today.  Pretty sad to see many of my most favorite trees gone.  The monstrous rubber tree at the corner of Eaton and Williams is just a stump.  Many banyans are gone. 

The West Martello gardens are almost unrecognizable- it's now an open sunny space instead of a dense jungle.  The main banyon that grew over the walls and archways uprooted, destroying damn near everything.  The lower half of the garden ended up underwater and had to be replanted from scratch. 

The Gardens Hotel also suffered a pretty insane amount of loss, however this morning there was a huge truck unloading an entire nursery worth of plants and trees there.

On the bright side, some of the royal poincianas that are re-leafing are currently in full bloom.  I've never actually gotten to see one in full bloom before- no wonder they are called flame trees.

A picless tour, how sad

Archived