Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Those and next Spring  and next spring I am buying a box of praying mantis egg cases.   A friend of mine swears by them as long as you don't mind praying mantis is in your garden.

I had one try to snatch a hummingbird off of my hummingbird feeder before. I'll let them hang around, but they better keep praying because my chickens will consider them lunch.

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I think you'll freeze before 11/11 or are you talking about since you've lived there?

Latest freeze at ORH is 11/12 in 1977 and 1916. Models right now look like we won't make it...they like November 8th at the moment.

13 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Those and next Spring  and next spring I am buying a box of praying mantis egg cases.   A friend of mine swears by them as long as you don't mind praying mantis is in your garden.

Never heard of the praying mantis, I like it. But a friend of mine swears by the tubes. He noticed a huge difference this year. Still had a few but it was because he thinks he did not put enough tubes out. 2 acre perimeter is a lot to cover. 

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Never heard of the praying mantis, I like it. But a friend of mine swears by the tubes. He noticed a huge difference this year. Still had a few but it was because he thinks he did not put enough tubes out. 2 acre perimeter is a lot to cover. 

I have looked into them, from what I have read they seem to be really effective but have a lag time and probably wouldn't notice a huge difference for almost a year. We have cedar oil sprayed every 6-8 weeks and has been quite effective. I actually think the spike in ticks was from all of the leaves being blown into our yard from the woods. With all of the rain, the ticks were probably using the leaves as flotation devices and rescue rafts.

Just now, Spanks45 said:

The sky actually has "that" look to it. 34.8 atm, with a low of 29.8. I finally broke down and bought the Davis replacement sensor suite, so I am confident that the temperature is pretty accurate.

The new SHT31 temp/hum sensor or the entire ISS? FARS?

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

The new SHT31 temp/hum sensor or the entire ISS? FARS?

I got the entire ISS from Ambient Weather. Davis was going to charge me $170 to refurbish my 12 year old unit and ship it back, plus the cost to ship it to CA. I picked up the brand new ISS for only $100 more, so figured it was a better option.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Latest freeze at ORH is 11/12 in 1977 and 1916. Models right now look like we won't make it...they like November 8th at the moment.

That's a record I don't want to break. Its nice to feel normally cool daytime temps. Nights are still on the "milder" side... but bring on the frost

1 minute ago, Spanks45 said:

I got the entire ISS from Ambient Weather. Davis was going to charge me $170 to refurbish my 12 year old unit and ship it back, plus the cost to ship it to CA. I picked up the brand new ISS for only $100 more, so figured it was a better option.

Nice. Did that come with the new style rain gauge cone?

5 minutes ago, BrianW said:

Anyone think you can make a poor man's version of these. They seem really expensive. Premethrin seems to be the active ingredient. Cardboard tube with cotton soaked premethrin?

I have actually been saving toilet paper tubes for a while now, just for this reason....it is essentially the same thing

https://organicdailypost.com/make-tick-tubes/

2 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I have actually been saving toilet paper tubes for a while now, just for this reason....it is essentially the same thing

https://organicdailypost.com/make-tick-tubes/

Hope your septic system is in good shape. 

I’ll take a look at the homemade tubes cuz I agree the retail ones are costly esp if you have a nice sized lot. 

7 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice. Did that come with the new style rain gauge cone?

Yeah, it is a nice improvement over the old one. I failed to order the wireless transmitter for my anemometer, so for now it is located roughly 20 ft off the gound. I like that my temperature and dewpoint can be close to each other now, before making the adjustments frequently would only get them to be within a few degrees of eachother no matter how soupy it was outside.

Resized_Screenshot_20171101-095537.jpeg

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hope your septic system is in good shape. 

I’ll take a look at the homemade tubes cuz I agree the retail ones are costly esp if you have a nice sized lot. 

Multiple kids help with the increased tp usage, lucky or unlucky enough to be on the town's sewer line so that is one thing I don't have to worry about.

Archived