Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

It's a good conjecture point for subjectivity ...why not?  We all know 'kinda' what those three mean, and of course there's some personal bent to each (hence the subjection). 

For me, front loaded (and this can even be graded relative to its self) has to be white for the holidays.  That's just kind of a mandatory base-line requirement to get a passing grade. If it snowed 40" between t-giving and Dec 15, but then we get an Indian Summer Hades style and turn football fields into lakes for Xmas, that's a C- for me. You can take ur 40 and jam it up your practical joker bum!  hahaha.  Hell, if we get frets and starts of snow, scrap it together...then get reward by say a humdinger on the 17th of Dec that stays through the first week of January? I'd almost give that B or even B+ ...  A's though?  That's a snow event on Novie 16 or something, with proficient cold to keep it around... with refit events before the snoglober around for Xmas it's self...  Although, hmm.. I might be will to give an A- to a front characterized winter as long as you can ice skate on still rivers and town ponds on thanks-giggedy.  No snow for Xmas, ...may as well skip the final 

Yeah having brown grass and greeting family outside in t-shirts for Christmas really puts a damper on the whole idea that the first part of winter was good at all...I agree, you stamp a crappy grade on it and toss it in the trash heap. Maybe you could convince me if something really bizarre happened like a 30 inch snowstorm on November 20th, followed by currier and ives snow on Thanksgiving with a great Dec 1-15....then a horrific torch melts it for Xmas, be we immediately rebound a big snow event to have white New Years Eve festivities....yeah...in others words as Scooter once quoted, "Not happening James"....but since this is a theoretical discussion, I thought I would try.

But come to think of it, not sure I could forgive the forces that be for melting out a 30 inch snowpack before Xmas that had started on November 20th....I mean, that might be even worse than just no hope at all 1994, 2001, or 2016 style.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

I wasn't necessarily prefacing that a "front loaded winter" meant the season finished below normal...I consider 2008-2009 and 2007-2008 both front loaded winters but the seasons finished above average for snowfall...it is just they both had weak Feb/Mar combos (usually one of the two was below average enough to drag down the pair as a whole).

The term is kind of subjective admittedly. Where does the cutoff begin for a "front loaded winter" vs a "wire to wire winter" or "well rounded winter"....like 2000-2001 could fall into that gray area. You could call it a back loaded winter because the snowfall in February and March was incredible....but December and January actually produced slightly above average snowfall each month here...so do we call that a back loaded winter or a wire to wire (or well rounded) winter? Subjective terms often cause confusion like that. Feb and Mar were far superior to Dec/Jan that winter...it's not even close....yet, Dec/Jan by themselves were fine months for winter lovers.

Subjective for sure, and varying by location.  2008-09 died with March 2's underperformer after a great February (yes, there was a serious thaw that month, but 33" in 5 days healed things nicely), and March 2008 was only a bit AN for snow but followed the snowiest February I've measured anywhere, including Ft. Kent.  Maybe I should just look at my 1st-2nd half numbers, which for me divide as we go into Feb - current split is 44.0/45.2, thanks to getting 57% of last winter's snow after 2/1.

Biggest 1st-2nd differences came in consecutive winters.  2005-06 was 85% 1st half, thanks to only 7.8" Feb. 1 on.  Next year was 80% 2nd half, with the record April a big part.  Out of 19 winters, 10 have had one half with over 60% of the snow.  Six had it 1st half, and those winters averaged 83% of average for snow, with only 14-15 (127%) AN.  The four 2nd half winters averaged 120% of a normal winter, and all were AN.  Maybe it's the location, but given this SSS, I'm okay with a 2nd half winter.

Anybody have any more information on how the weather.us site is able to provide euro data for free? The euro data and map outputs are just plain awesome.

I found this post and it appears to be from either the owner of the site or and admin. It appears they are paying a small fortune to be able to distribute it.

Actually I looked up the domain owner on godaddy and Joerg Kachelmann owns the domain. 

Capture2.JPG

33 minutes ago, eyewall said:

This is from the Southeast mountain thread. This isn't my photo but snowliage in NC:
FB_IMG_1509316934831.jpg

Our storm generated an incredible northwest flow event for mountains of western NC. My friends in Asheville are blowing my feed up with snow pictures and I'm jealous.

2 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

what's that term called when you have a pattern consisting of like ridge, trough, ridge, trough, etc.  (like what is shown).  I can't think of it...zonal is west to east flow...amplified is when you have a nice deep trough but I can't think of the term I'm looking for ughh

compday.Py5dkDJngm.gif

Well the opposite of zonal flow is meridional flow...not sure if that was the term you are looking for.

1 hour ago, weatherwiz said:

what's that term called when you have a pattern consisting of like ridge, trough, ridge, trough, etc.  (like what is shown).  I can't think of it...zonal is west to east flow...amplified is when you have a nice deep trough but I can't think of the term I'm looking for ughh

compday.Py5dkDJngm.gif

I see lots of boobies in all the right places. 

26 minutes ago, snowman21 said:

Why does BOX have so many frost advisories up for tonight? Wasn't the growing season in most of those zones done 3 weeks ago?

Widespread frost anticipated,
so have hoisted a Frost Advisory for northern CT/RI and portions
of eastern MA where the growing season has not officially come
to an end. The urban heat island of downtown Boston will be the
mild spot with lows only dropping into the lower 40s.

44 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Widespread frost anticipated,
so have hoisted a Frost Advisory for northern CT/RI and portions
of eastern MA where the growing season has not officially come
to an end. The urban heat island of downtown Boston will be the
mild spot with lows only dropping into the lower 40s.

I wonder how they define "officially".  We're past the average dates for freezes so that's not it.  Most locations have had frost/freezes back around the middle of the month so that's not it.  So what is it?  Is it the fact that there are small areas that did not have freezes a few weeks ago?

1 hour ago, MetHerb said:

I wonder how they define "officially".  We're past the average dates for freezes so that's not it.  Most locations have had frost/freezes back around the middle of the month so that's not it.  So what is it?  Is it the fact that there are small areas that did not have freezes a few weeks ago?

That's what I'm wondering too. This the third time those CT zones have had a frost advisory. OKX on the other hand does not seem to issue them once you're past some amount of time after the average first date which even for GON/BDR/Stamford co-op was two weeks ago regardless of whether or not it is the first frost of the season - they simply say no headlines as frost/freeze program is over - or something to that effect.

4 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Probably they check reported data after a frost or freeze advisory to see how it verified, and if significant areas appear to have escaped, there might be another such advisory with the next cold airmass.  Just a guess.

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

First time in 13or so years since we have not done a real trick or treat with one or both kids. Our son is too old and our daughter has play rehearsal tonight.  I brought her to a few houses right at 5so she could head to rehearsal.    No other kids in sight. 

What kind of people schedule a rehearsal on Halloween night? I hope it is mostly adults in the play. Lol.

Archived