Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

No way... Flashing is a fantastic way to alert drivers of something coming up.

People flash each other in VT all the time that I've seen...more so than what I grew up with in NY.  If there's a cop, you get flashed and repay the favor.  People flash for deer, or anything else along the road or in the road that may lead to an incident.  It definitely causes you to "perk up" and pay attention.

I don't get why the first reaction would be "this guy is being an a**hole."  I always think another driver is trying to be helpful.

It’s the guy coming up behind you and flashing you that’s the annoyance. I’ve been on 89 passing a line of cars and had some douche in an Audi come up behind me flashing is lights at me like I’m in his way. I’m alreadybxoing 75-80 passing a line of cars, where the hell does he think I’m going? 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No way... Flashing is a fantastic way to alert drivers of something coming up.

People flash each other in VT all the time that I've seen...more so than what I grew up with in NY.  If there's a cop, you get flashed and repay the favor.  People flash for deer, or anything else along the road or in the road that may lead to an incident.  It definitely causes you to "perk up" and pay attention.

I don't get why the first reaction would be "this guy is being an a**hole."  I always think another driver is trying to be helpful.

Sometimes police don't appreciate it, and will cite you for faulty equipment.  I have no problem with people flashing to alert you or even one polite flash when approaching on a multi lane highway from behind.  They do it in Europe, but not aggressively 

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

It’s the guy coming up behind you and flashing you that’s the annoyance. I’ve been on 89 passing a line of cars and had some douche in an Audi come up behind me flashing is lights at me like I’m in his way. I’m alreadybxoing 75-80 passing a line of cars, where the hell does he think I’m going? 

Yes, this

That's a pretty fantastic Nor'easter for the NP of Michigan... 

Was just drooling vicariously via their NWS pages and the obs up that way. I gotta say, their haulin' mass! 55 mph + wind gusts pretty routine from the NNE and wave heights to 25' sending white wash probably all the way to wood-lines where the beaches term to pine forest. They're also with unusually high Lake water levels (Superior) too so it's gotta be a sight to behold where there may be roads and piers adorning the gray cast'.  Wave spray lifting up, love that affect.

I remember that sort of scene living in Rockport Massachusets actually. May be the ocean versus a veritable inland sea, but the affecting is identical. The only sounds, other than the wind stuffing your hearing, is the irregular elevation and decay of white noise from the surf. Occasionally the high pitch cackle of a seagull that stealthily hovered up near-by as though it figured so long as you're out there, it'd try for that fragment of pretzel.  Seriously, they seem to do that... not matter what the cost or weather, they stealthily hover right next to your head in the off chance that despite the laminar 45 mph wind toting sideways moving rain sheets and parachutes of beach foam ...you might just have that bagel chunk in your pocket. 

It's funny, but come hell or high water, there will be a seagull their to sound off a single wale to let you know that it wants that bagel! 

Anyway, one thing I am noticing about the behavior of the atmosphere, pervasively, is that that streams are tending to phase with more proficiency early on. Who's to say that will last deeper into the nascent ensuing cold season, but for the time being, we seem to be seeing better phasing in the virtual, with less timing, as well as less destructive wind velocities as events have been modeled. Here we are in the Lakes with a decent verification of such, and we just over recent days witness the evolution of a whopper N. Atlantic beast (not the Ireland deal..) that was an exquisite two stream bomb between NF and Greenland.

It may not stand for much?  However, ...sometimes these tenors get established early on, and whatever planetary modes and/or modalities may physically be responsible (as perhaps not yet defined by science) aside, it's why some years are prolific thunder years, ...or tornadoes, or it seems (increasingly rarefied, I know - ) like it just can't not snow. In this case, something about the music of the circulation et al, is less "inharmonic" like we've seen ... pretty much at all times since the 2015 weirdo February ( which I don't even think was a very prolific phasing era per se, but rather just a northern stream of overwhelming power).  I mean it's early, so we could lose that panache, but for storm enthusiasts, you should like where that is going at least presently.    

In the meantime, this pattern we see about to usurp the eastern ridge may or may not succeed in permanently doing so (we'll see..) but I suspect it goes down as a great look, perhaps about a month too soon.  Give that another month, and someone, somewhere, probably ends up with a huge synoptic event or two out of that evolution over the next ten days.  

So is anyone checking this out ..

http://sneweatherconf.org/2017Agenda.pdf

Looks like it's a bit dry in content ... but just wonderin'     

Looks like some of the local media heads will be doing a panel chat to close out the day - the topic just says media; I'm assuming they'll be commiserating the travails of being in the public spotlight of ridicule and unfair scrutiny ..heh.  Just kidding Ryan... 

I wish someone would be doing something that is relevant to the ensuing cold season antics of New England. I like the severe stuff, ...in June. 

Also, funny - "Capturing Glaciers" ... a discussion hosted by Adam LeWINTER  ...  really?

21 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

66F with showers and a steady, warm SW breeze.  Feels tropical, hopefully this is the last day of this nonsense and we flip to more seasonable long term pattern. 

I agree this is getting ridiculous. I'm really feeling under the weather today too. Hopefully it cools down.

2 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

So is anyone checking this out ..

http://sneweatherconf.org/2017Agenda.pdf

Looks like it's a bit dry in content ... but just wonderin'     

Looks like some of the local media heads will be doing a panel chat to close out the day - the topic just says media; I'm assuming they'll be commiserating the travails of being in the public spotlight of ridicule and unfair scrutiny ..heh.  Just kidding Ryan... 

I wish someone would be doing something that is relevant to the ensuing cold season antics of New England. I like the severe stuff, ...in June. 

Also, funny - "Capturing Glaciers" ... a discussion hosted by Adam LeWINTER  ...  really?

I'm going for the 4th or 5th time.  I'm just a weather enthusiast with a few meteorology courses in college (back in the dark ages), but I look forward to it every year.  Good information and good fun.

14 hours ago, mreaves said:

Look up the WRX. World rally champ in the right hands. 

Forgot about that model.  There's a rally held on the woods roads NW of Rangeley, and the Subies do quite well.  However, I don't meet many, if any, of that type of rig in my daily commute.

Flashing light to the oncoming driver is, as noted above, a good way to warn about potentially hazardous road conditions.  Flashing the car you're following can be a major irritant, though for 1st responders it's sometimes the only way to alert someone who's in the ay and just numbing it.

meh... I've actually seen this several times in my life in early December with one of those Lake cutter/southern gale jobs.  Temps in the 68 to 72 range, while wind swept mist and white noise through the trees...

Then a ribben echo squall sinuously swipes it all out to sea and it's suddenly calm and in the mid 50s just before the CAA kicks in... It may only be in the 40s two days later, and we're tracking the season's first winter storm chance for later that weekend...

I know that's a nice little story (haha) but... those proportions are essentially not that uncommon around here.  Being that it's just October -

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

meh... I've actually seen this several times in my life in early December with one of those Lake cutter/southern gale jobs.  Temps in the 68 to 72 range, while wind swept mist and white noise through the trees...

Then a ribben echo squall sinuously swipes it all out to sea and it's suddenly calm and in the mid 50s just before the CAA kicks in... It may only be in the 40s two days later, and we're tracking the season's first winter storm chance for later that weekend...

I know that's a nice little story (haha) but... those proportions are essentially not that uncommon around here.  Being that it's just October -

One warm sectoring system is one thing. This entire month has been a warm sector. :lol:

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

One warm sectoring system is one thing. This entire month has been a warm sector. :lol:

Yeeah... I did figure someone would pop back with that...  But, in and of its self it's not the big of deal to me.

The stuff about the month on whole is a different discussion, and one I'm happy to have - it's been extraordinary sure...  

Archived