Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Stay right, pass left....regardless of speed. Thanks.

"Keep right except to pass" signs aren't all that infrequent along the interstates.

What sometimes bugs me, most commonly on 495 in Mass where I'm often in the middle lane of 3 due to occasional slowpokes in the right, is folks who - when the choice is equal - pass on my right.  I think it's about 4 of 5, especially from Lowell north.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, tamarack said:

"Keep right except to pass" signs aren't all that infrequent along the interstates.

What sometimes bugs me, most commonly on 495 in Mass where I'm often in the middle lane of 3 due to occasional slowpokes in the right, is folks who - when the choice is equal - pass on my right.  I think it's about 4 of 5, especially from Lowell north.

We were coming home on 495 yesterday evening. Our 16 year old son was driving on his permit. He may have been going over the speed limit a bit...;)

Anyway, he was passed on both sides simultaneously.  He was not a fan of that 

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I think it is illegal to flash...

It probably depends on the state. Here in NY, you can even flash to warn about speed traps which I believe they take issue with elsewhere. I don't think it's all that helpful of a suggestion regardless of legality, much more likely to cause confusion or animosity than anything else.

2 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It probably depends on the state. Here in NY, you can even flash to warn about speed traps which I believe they take issue with elsewhere. I don't think it's all that helpful of a suggestion regardless of legality, much more likely to cause confusion or animosity than anything else.

Harvey?.....

14 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

This is what I was taught to do in driver's ed when you want to let someone know you're trying to pass. I've rarely done it, but it's not always a malicious gesture or sign of road rage.

Yea. People think its malicious but it’s actually part of drivers ed. It supposed to be used when you’re in an absolute rush only: ie, wife’s water broke in the back seat, etc. And not because your late for dinner with a girl you just met on Tinder.

5 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Yea. People think its malicious but it’s actually part of drivers ed. It supposed to be used when you’re in an absolute rush only: ie, wife’s water broke in the back seat, etc. And not because your late for dinner with a girl you just met on Tinder.

Agreed.  In a situation with limited ways to communicate, you can flash.  Not being obnoxious--just informing.

Similarly, I was driving to Boston at 5:00a.m. yesterday and a car had flipped over on Rt. 2 in Erving.  For you easterners, Rt. 2 becomes on lane in each direction from Orange on west.  The speed limit where she flipped was 45--I'm not sure how she managed it.  Huge mess.  It had to have been just a minute or two before I got there.  After confirming with the other driver who had already stopped that the driver was okay, I went on my way.  I was flashing to warn cars of the accident.  They had no idea what I was flashing about, but it did give them notice they should be alert for something.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing worse then those people in their suped up Subaru's with 6" exhaust that really magnifies their 130Hp 4-cylinder engine and substitutes for inadequacies in the crotch area,  Tokyo drifting all over the lanes.

I'm with Kevin, all we ask is to move out of way.

I cannot like this comment enough.

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing worse then those people in their suped up Subaru's with 6" exhaust that really magnifies their 130Hp 4-cylinder engine and substitutes for inadequacies in the crotch area,  Tokyo drifting all over the lanes.

I also don't get the redneck trucks with the 8" exhausts that are blowing coal...don't understand how those pass inspections 

25 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Well he’s 24 but only has been driving about a year or so, so in driving years he’s still about 17.. so he doesn’t know or fully understand the rules of the road yet . 

Wizzy is that guy in a beater sporting a ponytail smoking a cig going 65 in the left lane on 84 not realizing theres 20 cars behind waiting for him to move over.

50 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Don't forget the huge rear spoiler to keep them from flying off the ground like an Indycar.

37 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Wizzy is that guy in a beater sporting a ponytail smoking a cig going 65 in the left lane on 84 not realizing theres 20 cars behind waiting for him to move over.

Some dude passes him on the right screaming out his window while flipping him the bird and Wizzy just keeps his head straight forward, unaware of it, with his eyes on the road and his hands at 10 and 2 while listening to his Miley Cyrus casette.

55 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I actually died reading this. Amazing synopsis of some early 20s white males.

We have azzhats here who think the passing lane was created specifically and only for their vehicle. They just putt along oblivious to everyone trying to get by. Drives me bat crap crazy. I'm not a road rage'r but it's on my bucket list to pit manoeuvre one of these fools into the ditch and let me quote Joe Pesci "Hopefully about the same time they recover from there injuries, I'll be getting out of jail. And if they are in the way, I'll pit them into the ditch again".

We have azzhats here who think the passing lane was created specifically and only for their vehicle. They just putt along oblivious to everyone trying to get by. Drives me bat crap crazy. I'm not a road rage'r but it's on my bucket list to pit manoeuvre one of these fools into the ditch and let me quote Joe Pesci "Hopefully about the same time they recover from there injuries, I'll be getting out of jail. And if they are in the way, I'll pit them into the ditch again".

We go to Cape Breton every summer (wife's family) and I've seen the worst accidents ever along the highways of NB and NS. Usually motor homes or campers just destroyed. Between the speeding Mass drivers and fully loaded tandem logging trucks, it can be sketchy

45 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Hahah I feel you man. It’s blunt but I like It

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yeah, but there's nothing saying there can't be multiple kinds of idiots behind the wheel.

I mean, if I'm doing 9 or 10 over, I'm as much a speeder as the guy going 90 in a 65, so it's not really my place to decide what's appropriate or not. Just let them go by and let the cops figure out who to light up. I talk to so many people who think it's their duty to slow down the super speeders by going AOB the limit in the left lane.

90 mph jerks cause more accidents fuk them

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

lol, but Subaru is about the last brand I'd expect to see tricked out like that - a rather dull but practical machine for places where it snows a lot.  Irony?

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

lol, but Subaru is about the last brand I'd expect to see tricked out like that - a rather dull but practical machine for places where it snows a lot.  Irony?

They are the most tricked out car around. I'm not sure why. 

It's funny thinking about tricked out cars. Those crappy Subarus could not hold a candle to cars like the Buick Grand National. I still have never been in a car that pinned me to the seat like that car did. That was an engineering marvel.

7 hours ago, WxBlue said:

I think it's both the road and drivers, but I-84 is awfully narrow for the volume of drivers and can be very clogged during rush hours. That's why y'all see many anxious drivers on I-84, which can lead to more aggressive driving by idiots. Road is a lot better once you're past Hartford heading toward Massachusetts, though. It's the Danbury to Hartford section I have an issue with.

Waterbury is awful

4 hours ago, tamarack said:

I don't know why getting passed on the right doesn't bother me that much... to me its a sign I should be even further over into the far right lane. 

I think the tactic is they think a State Trooper won't be aiming his radar gun at the far right lane but they'll get you regardless of what lane you are in if they are looking for speeders and want to initiate a traffic stop.

4 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

No way... Flashing is a fantastic way to alert drivers of something coming up.

People flash each other in VT all the time that I've seen...more so than what I grew up with in NY.  If there's a cop, you get flashed and repay the favor.  People flash for deer, or anything else along the road or in the road that may lead to an incident.  It definitely causes you to "perk up" and pay attention.

I don't get why the first reaction would be "this guy is being an a**hole."  I always think another driver is trying to be helpful.

Archived