Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

45 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

haha. I knew the jokes would come but she swears by it and actually told me to “go ask your nerd forum”.

OK she was probably trippin I guess. 

Not trippin. I'm pretty sure frozen precip has been reported in Tolland in the 60s before. CT can be a special place.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Slight risk from SPC for a good chunk of western areas. 

Def possibility for a spin up if sufficient instability can be realized.  Always the possibility in these setups so they’re tough to forecast but with the lack of an inversion than enhances the likelihood of getting robust enough updrafts to utilize the shear aloft.  

17 hours ago, NorEastermass128 said:

A pretty horrible proposal for most Americans. There’s also talk of doing away with the mortgage interest deduction too in order to pay for the ultra rich’s tax cuts??  Oy vey

No shame. 

Yeah from what I read that one seems safe, but SALT (state and local taxes) seems at risk. Bad for high tax states like RI. 

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

lol.

I had to fib and give some cokamame scientific reason. Otherwise if I told her how this “locker room talk” went, I would not be allowed to attend a gtg....or possibly even post anymore. Thanks for nothing, “boys”. 

Tell her we said to get back in the kitchen.

16 hours ago, powderfreak said:

What's more crazy is how you get precipitation to fall with all stations reporting CLR skies in CT over the past several hours.

Only thing I can think of is kids crushing up ice cubes and throwing them off a bridge on I-84 based on satellite/radar/obs.

Condensation of exhaust from the construction equipment east of city center?  That I-84 rebuild has been going on since shortly after Henry Ford patented his first automobile.

33 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Condensation of exhaust from the construction equipment east of city center?  That I-84 rebuild has been going on since shortly after Henry Ford patented his first automobile.

I'm not very fond of I-84 in Connecticut (especially west of Hartford). Seriously one of scariest interstates I've driven on.

2 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

I'm not very fond of I-84 in Connecticut. Seriously one of scariest interstates I've driven on.

I don't understand the issues with this road as opposed to other shi*y, poorly designed roads.  I think what fascinates me the most about most traffic accidents is that they seem to occur because people are too anxious and need to travel 1 or 2 car lengths behind the person in front of them.  And then if you do not do that, the person behind you lays on the horn because you are so far behind the car (maybe 5 car lengths), thus delaying his ride.  I am not saying that is your issue with the road, or that the road has issues because of people driving bumper to bumper, but it seems more times than not that bumper to bumper idiots are a major cause of congestion/ accidents on interstates. 

Is odd that people are so impatient when driving as it is one of the most dangerous things most of us do on a daily basis.

11 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I don't understand the issues with this road as opposed to other shi*y, poorly designed roads.  I think what fascinates me the most about most traffic accidents is that they seem to occur because people are too anxious and need to travel 1 or 2 car lengths behind the person in front of them.  And then if you do not do that, the person behind you lays on the horn because you are so far behind the car (maybe 5 car lengths), thus delaying his ride.  I am not saying that is your issue with the road, or that the road has issues because of people driving bumper to bumper, but it seems more times than not that bumper to bumper idiots are a major cause of congestion/ accidents on interstates. 

Is odd that people are so impatient when driving as it is one of the most dangerous things most of us do on a daily basis.

I think it's both the road and drivers, but I-84 is awfully narrow for the volume of drivers and can be very clogged during rush hours. That's why y'all see many anxious drivers on I-84, which can lead to more aggressive driving by idiots. Road is a lot better once you're past Hartford heading toward Massachusetts, though. It's the Danbury to Hartford section I have an issue with.

6 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

I think it's both the road and drivers, but I-84 is awfully narrow for the volume of drivers and can be very clogged during rush hours. That's why y'all see many anxious drivers on I-84, which can lead to more aggressive driving by idiots. Road is a lot better once you're past Hartford heading toward Massachusetts, though. It's the Danbury to Hartford section I have an issue with.

We Tolland

19 minutes ago, WxBlue said:

Speed is another issue.  The speed limit is 50-55 for a large portion, though it does go up west of Waterbury.  Despite a 55MPH speed limit, cars routinely want to drive 70. 

I've driven in every state and I've never understand the mentality I see around urban areas.  I can drive 10 miles over the speed limit in rural areas and pass 90% of the traffic but as you approach an urban area and the density of traffic increases, you're passed by 90% of the traffic when you still going 10 over.  You'd think that the higher density would lead to more cautious driving but it's the opposite.

16 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Speed is another issue.  The speed limit is 50-55 for a large portion, though it does go up west of Waterbury.  Despite a 55MPH speed limit, cars routinely want to drive 70. 

I've driven in every state and I've never understand the mentality I see around urban areas.  I can drive 10 miles over the speed limit in rural areas and pass 90% of the traffic but as you approach an urban area and the density of traffic increases, you're passed by 90% of the traffic when you still going 10 over.  You'd think that the higher density would lead to more cautious driving but it's the opposite.

I'm not going to lie...I usually do around 70 mph.  I probably average around 70-73 mph but part of that is mainly due to the fact that I drive in the left lane and people start riding my ass.  I get annoyed when people continue to do it even when I'm pushing 75 mph.  I know I could easily switch lanes but I prefer to get in the left lane and stay there and for a few reasons; 1) when I'm traveling back to Danbury I avoid merging traffic from New Britain just past exit 36 is it?  2) When you get towards Waterbury and everything shifts from 4 lanes to 2 I'm already in the left lane and don't have to worry and I don't have to worry about merging traffic from people coming in from the on ramps.  2) When I'm going back to west Hartford my exit is a left exit.  

One area that always has horrendous accidents is between exits 30-32 on I-84, both west bound and east bound and that just boggles me b/c it's a straight-a-way...there's no turns or curves or anything.  Seems like there's at least one accident on that stretch every other day. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

If you are driving slower than the cars behind you.. GET OVER. Nothing worse than those morons holding up traffic. It’s the law. It’s the passing lane . It’s not meant to Sunday drive along at 70mph

If I'm doing 70+ and they're going any faster they can move over.  I'm not moving out of the way b/c some clown isn't satisfied with my already going 15-20 mph over the speed limit.  

Archived