Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

That is how you do it....supplement player development with a signing here or there. Not vice versa.  When you acquire a player, you also acquire a state of mind, which is largely modulated by the stage they are at in their career. This, in addition to physical decline is why player development is so crucial to success and sustainability.

Well the good news is that we start to change the pattern this coming week. 

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yep. We step down. It's coming. 

It seems like some are hedging towards a +EPO, PAC jet dominated winter because of the October pattern....I really do not get that.

I mean, it could happen....but I don't see what October has to do with it. If anything, I think November is more important in that regard.

Tuesday looking real 

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

It seems like some are hedging towards a +EPO, PAC jet dominated winter because of the October pattern....I really do not get that.

I mean, it could happen....but I don't see what October had to do with it. If anything, I think November is more important in that regard.

I haven't had much time to look long-range and probably won't but it does appear that at least the stratosphere is shaping up to perhaps be in a favorable state, unlike the past few years.  I also think we'll see much more influences by the MJO this winter which will yield positives and negatives but the key is just to cash in on those patterns which are favorable 

24 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I mean, it could happen....but I don't see what October has to do with it. If anything, I think November is more important in that regard.

I feel like everyone thinks they're Houdini all of the sudden and can predict the winter. :lol:   I don't see anything really that screams torch Pac Jet at this time. 

11 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

If you're given information that a sample of air is saturated at a given temperature at a given pressure level, how would you go about calculating the mixing ratio?  That is the only variable I think I would need assuming I'm using the correct equation.  I'm playing through several different possibilities here including one that involves knowing its saturated so the RH must be 100% but I'm trying to get mixing ratio but I would need to know saturation mixing ratio and vapor pressure.  

This is simplified a bit because the sample is saturated. So if you find the vapor pressure (which is saturation vapor pressure in this example) you should have everything you need to calculate the saturation mixing ratio (which is the mixing ratio of a sample at saturation).

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

This is simplified a bit because the sample is saturated. So if you find the vapor pressure (which is saturation vapor pressure in this example) you should have everything you need to calculate the saturation mixing ratio (which is the mixing ratio of a sample at saturation).

what I ended up doing was just looking at a skew-t to get the mixing ratio lol.  But saturation vapor pressure...that's what is getting me.  There is an equation for that so I bet once I look it up I would come out with 0.008 

1 hour ago, CT Rain said:

The GFS/NAM both argue for a pretty substantial wind event Tuesday night and early Wednesday AM. A bit of CAPE and very little inversion near the surface. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.31.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-22 at 10.32.30 AM.png

yeah I'm a bit intrigued by this.  Not very often we see a setup like this with the lack of an inversion.  In fact, I wonder if we could see two potential rounds of strong convection?  Afternoon then overnight?

Man the upper elevations are taking the brunt of the torch relative to normal.

At least in the valley we have been able to get down to the low to mid 30s at night (35F last night) but up at the picnic tables its been in the 50s and 60s.

Last night's low at 4,000ft was 53F and its already up to 64F.  No mixing power this time of year, otherwise it would be 78-83 in the valleys right now.

It's been summer level temperatures at the picnic tables...crazy it snowed up there just a week ago.

15 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

That was an awful storm. There were an incredible number of tornadoes that day in NJ and NY. I believe there were about 15 fatalities region wide including the 9 kids in Newburgh. 

2 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

That was an awful storm. There were an incredible number of tornadoes that day in NJ and NY. I believe there were about 15 fatalities region wide including the 9 kids in Newburgh. 

Think there might have been like 17 tornadoes between the two states if I'm remembering correctly?  It was something crazy high

Archived