• Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yuge shallow inversion right now.

Gunstock 1348' 55F

Tilton 866' 47F

Yours Truly 614' 40.6F

Bear Brook 365' 35F

Crazy one here...over 25 degrees in less than 1,000 vertical feet.

Base of the ski area...59.5F

MVL frosty down at 700ft...33F

Can see how mixed it stayed above 1,500ft.  I'm at work now for a Saturday event and it's shorts weather and a summer morning up here while it flirts with freezing in the valley.

IMG_7089.PNG.6d122ed9ed026136b584fad4ce53535e.PNG

39 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yuge shallow inversion right now.

Gunstock 1348' 55F

Tilton 866' 47F

Yours Truly 614' 40.6F

Bear Brook 365' 35F

21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Crazy one here...over 25 degrees in less than 1,000 vertical feet.

Base of the ski area...59.5F

MVL frosty down at 700ft...33F

Can see how mixed it stayed above 1,500ft.  I'm at work now for a Saturday event and it's shorts weather and a summer morning up here while it flirts with freezing in the valley.

Just posted in the NNE thread, but we were 54 degrees on the 400 foot hill we launch the balloon from. 280 feet below it was 39 in the Royal River Valley, and at 380 feet AGL the balloon was 62 degrees. So 23 degrees in 660 feet, not bad.

We also had a little upward propagating mountain wave induced cloud cover last night. Yesterday afternoon the HRRR had it in the forecast.

G124bt_t3sat_f14.thumb.png.09644b8d1e99ac3db324c40f808f19aa.png

Sure enough the 12z GYX sounding showed a pretty big inversion around 5000 feet, with smaller inversions above that throughout the sounding. With deep NW flow above that inversion and a little upstream moisture, we got our mountain clouds.

It is pretty amazing how the hi-res models can handle stuff like this now. Even the 12km NAM had a strong signal. Check out the higher RH just downstream of the lee side omega bullseye.

Orographic.thumb.png.e63f01ac16636052c71e50cd84743276.png

That's awesome. I've almost never seen a high level mtn wave cloud from the Apps. Must have been good conditions for that. Really all it takes is a stable layer to get the wave oscillation going and then just uniform winds throughout the column above the ridgeline (uniform direction and velocity). Good stuff. Mtn waves probably are one of the biggest reasons for turbulence investigations that we do at work. Unfortunately KDEN is a United Airlines Hub so you can imagine the fun at that place. 

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

That's awesome. I've almost never seen a high level mtn wave cloud from the Apps. Must have been good conditions for that. Really all it takes is a stable layer to get the wave oscillation going and then just uniform winds throughout the column above the ridgeline (uniform direction and velocity). Good stuff. Mtn waves probably are one of the biggest reasons for turbulence investigations that we do at work. Unfortunately KDEN is a United Airlines Hub so you can imagine the fun at that place. 

Yeah, it's a pretty narrow range of conditions. Low to the northeast, ridge to the west, inversion/isothermal layer near mountain top level, unidirectional or slightly backing winds with height, plus upstream moisture.

I was long term yesterday so I wasn't really digging much into today, but someone on Facebook asked us about sky cover for watching the meteor shower last night. So I checked the HRRR real quick just to verify our forecast wasn't out to lunch. Really glad I didn't answer "clear all night!"

41 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

managed 48 at the Pit.

Heading up to ur hood today for an Anniversary party on Barnyard Rd (sp). Will be leaving here in Tee and shorts but I fear a shawl might be necessary for later on. Libations are expected to be abundant.

44 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, it's a pretty narrow range of conditions. Low to the northeast, ridge to the west, inversion/isothermal layer near mountain top level, unidirectional or slightly backing winds with height, plus upstream moisture.

I was long term yesterday so I wasn't really digging much into today, but someone on Facebook asked us about sky cover for watching the meteor shower last night. So I checked the HRRR real quick just to verify our forecast wasn't out to lunch. Really glad I didn't answer "clear all night!"

That's really cool. It's amazing how good our high resolution modeling is now. 

10 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

We could really rip on Tuesday. It's rare you see this kind of LLJ modeled with very little stability near the surface. A bit of CAPE too. 

Yeah, GFS is more or less well mixed to 900 mb on BOS forecast soundings. Some 50 knot potential there. Kevin has been dreaming of the SE gale for a long time now.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, GFS is more or less well mixed to 900 mb on BOS forecast soundings. Some 50 knot potential there. Kevin has been dreaming of the SE gale for a long time now.

The screaming southeaster we've all wanted. Unusually warm SSTs are helping.

Maybe a spinner threat near the triple point :weenie::weenie: 

1 hour ago, scoob40 said:

Heading up to ur hood today for an Anniversary party on Barnyard Rd (sp). Will be leaving here in Tee and shorts but I fear a shawl might be necessary for later on. Libations are expected to be abundant.

Bardwells Ferry?  that's where Cosby's crib is.

49 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

GFS and Euro look pretty dam windy. 

does that include GC?

13 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

Since I’m back in DC for a week and there’s not much to discuss weather wise, can somebody please let me know how the GOP can even think about floating this idea??

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/theres-talk-of-capping-401k-contributions-at-2400-per-year-2017-10-20

Take away SS benefits and limit 401k/IRA contributions. Might as well work until 65 and just die. 

Archived