Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If you can actually get some cold temps in November, the retention would be great with the low sun angle...but yeah, too often after November snow, you have a day or two near 50F within the next week (because November isn't a cold month), so it rarely lasts more than a few days. There are exceptions of course.

even the best of seasons Nov, 2002, it still doesn't come close to the amount of snow OTG persistently in most March's

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

even the best of seasons Nov, 2002, it still doesn't come close to the amount of snow OTG persistently in most March's

Yeah, March definitely has more snow cover days...it is often helped by the fact that we go into March with deep snowpack on a fairly regular basis and it's usually a high water content pack. But even without that, you'd still get way more snow cover days. Last year is a good example...we melted out our entire pack by March 1st with that torch in late Feb. But we still had like 22 days of snow cover because once snow fell again on 3/9 (and then again on 3/14), it never melted until April. You'd hardly ever see that happen in November.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing says winter like sunburned napes ,mud, birds chirping , and the sound of leaf blowers  blowing the last few months of debris off lawns . But hey at least light!

I hate to tell you but it's not a winter month.  It's a spring month.  The trees are equally bare but snow is more prevalent than November and you have maple sugaring.  I don't think of anything you're talking about until the end of the season in April.  Before that it's snow, freezing lines (despite the sun angle) and trying to warm up by the evaporator.  You're thinking more late April than March.

13 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I hate to tell you but it's not a winter month.  It's a spring month.  The trees are equally bare but snow is more prevalent than November and you have maple sugaring.  I don't think of anything you're talking about until the end of the season in April.  Before that it's snow, freezing lines (despite the sun angle) and trying to warm up by the evaporator.  You're thinking more late April than March.

Other than ORH in winter and BDL in summer, it's DCA in March. You know his reference points!

In the South, especially outside Appalachians, November is a transition month when it's obvious we're going from hot to cold. Anytime before is summer-like, period. March is another transition month when both cold and hot are possible, but it's not until April we're 100% out of winter and trees are becoming green again. Therefore, I'd imagine May is your "spring" month up north. To me, in the South, May to October is 100% summer with December to March as winter... although our winters are a joke. April is our "spring" month, while November is our "autumn" month. Just my take on this debate from a southern point of view. 

So far, living here, it does feel like "fall" started for me in early September thanks to that fluke cold period with few drops of summer weather later that month and into October.

1 hour ago, WxBlue said:

In the South, especially outside Appalachians, November is a transition month when it's obvious we're going from hot to cold. Anytime before is summer-like, period. March is another transition month when both cold and hot are possible, but it's not until April we're 100% out of winter and trees are becoming green again. Therefore, I'd imagine May is your "spring" month up north. To me, in the South, May to October is 100% summer with December to March as winter... although our winters are a joke. April is our "spring" month, while November is our "autumn" month. Just my take on this debate from a southern point of view. 

So far, living here, it does feel like "fall" started for me in early September thanks to that fluke cold period with few drops of summer weather later that month and into October.

And you are living through a furnace October that is very rare LOL. I hope you have a good winter, man. That's going to feel incredible coming from NC..although at least you had some interior help with elevation.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

And you are living through a furnace October that is very rare LOL. I hope you have a good winter, man. That's going to feel incredible coming from NC..although at least you had some interior help with elevation.

We need to get him a Jan 04 cold shot to see what he’d made of. 

This is one of the more incredible 24 hour changes in a little while.

Yesterday afternoon saw a high of 74F at MVL (and low 70s lingered well into the evening).

This afternoon's high is 43F and its 41F now at 6pm. 

31 degree difference in afternoon highs between yesterday and today.  Of course at midnight we had a cheap "high" so the daily won't capture it... but sensible weather difference that is a huge change from one afternoon to another.

25 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We need to get him a Jan 04 cold shot to see what he’d made of. 

Or we can just freeze him to death slowly...ala Feb 2015. No insane record outbreaks that month, but just consistent double digit negative departures.

Is this not the definition of a cheap midnight high temp or what?

lol...this is the Stowe base area where the temp was 60F at midnight. 

The temperature dipped into the upper 30s at 5am and stayed in the 30s for the entire daylight hours today.  But the high will be 60F despite a cold and windy day spitting rain and snow.

What a change though...still mind-blowing how yesterday was shorts and t-shirt with temps in the 60s/70s while this afternoon was in the 30s above 1,200ft and in the low 40s at 700ft.

October_16_basearea.thumb.jpg.c4274aa3201f3efb3783be8296023eaf.jpg

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

Is this not the definition of a cheap midnight high temp or what?

lol...this is the Stowe base area where the temp was 60F at midnight. 

The temperature dipped into the upper 30s at 5am and stayed in the 30s for the entire daylight hours today.  But the high will be 60F despite a cold and windy day spitting rain and snow.

October_16_basearea.thumb.jpg.c4274aa3201f3efb3783be8296023eaf.jpg

yep, today might go down as like a +6 or something depending on how fast we drop tonight.  Very deceiving.

Just now, radarman said:

yep, today might go down as like a +6 or something depending on how fast we drop tonight.  Very deceiving.

Yeah its like one of those January cold fronts after a warm sector thaw...where the daily high temperature is over 20 degrees warmer than temperatures during the daylight hours.

4 hours ago, dendrite said:

Not all of us define winter based on skiing. You're comparing depth to wintry appeal.

Mood wise I've just about had it with snow in March...obviously not that I can control it...

I enjoy a good March or April snowstorm, but by the equinox I just want warmth, UV on my skin, and to start my seedlings. In Novie I'm getting the snow board ready and feeling the holiday spirit with the hope of a snowy winter.

November is good to start thinking about snow and maybe catching a small event or two

March can produce some big events that are great meteorologicaly speaking. 

The latter part of March things can start melting a bit. It's not like the mud is fun to frolic in.

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like SLK has the first official -SN ob from an ASOS in the northeast this season.

KSLK 162121Z AUTO VRB03KT 5SM -SN BR SCT019 BKN025 OVC033 02/01 A3010 RMK AO2 SNB16 P0000 T00220006

Beat FVE by minutes.

METAR KFVE 162153Z AUTO 32005KT 9SM FEW018 BKN032 OVC046 01/M01 A2999 RMK AO2 RAE04B29E35SNB35E51 SLP164 P0001 T00111006 =

Cool thing this time of year is seeing the rain/snow line in the passing orographic showers moving through the area.

Here's a brief shower that rolled off Mansfield out over Stowe Village this afternoon, guess where the snow line is? 

Quite the snow squall going on 2,000ft above the village, with the Worecester Mountain Range in the background on the eastern side of town.

HLcbVAb.jpg

Archived