Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

4 hours ago, weathafella said:

OT but I was in Chicago all of last week.   Heavy rain Tuesday late through the night with light stuff Wednesday.  Dank Thursday with a decent Friday followed by a deluge Saturday into Saturday night with lots of lightning.  It’s amazing my flight back Saturday night was. Close to on time.

no such thing as OT in a banter thread. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Oh it has been a while my friend.  Good to see you again.

ysRcfIx.jpg

I was up on the summit at sunset yesterday in shorts at 60F and a warm south breeze... now down into the upper 20s and spitting snow this morning.

October_16b.jpg.19764af3c047798a5ef65655eae33a22.jpg

Nice!

bottomed out at 47 at the pit.  up to 50 at 12:30.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, eyewall said:

Nice! Too bad I am in NC or I would be on my way to Bolton. I am back at the end of the month though.

I saw posts of snow at the Bolton parking lots. 

Hiking through snow dusted trees on the Hazelton today is reminding me of why I love winter so much.  Wait all summer for this first return of winter.

-SN and 29F at Mansfield Ski Patrol HQ now.

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who cares. Nov has that dark, cold look and feel and the anticipation of the ensuing winter so it’s alwsys thought of and thought of as a cold month. Whereas Morch is high sun angle, warm cars, high sun angle and spring . 

LOL, what a weenie. 

16 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Who cares. Nov has that dark, cold look and feel and the anticipation of the ensuing winter so it’s alwsys thought of and thought of as a cold month. Whereas Morch is high sun angle, warm cars, high sun angle and spring . 

And plenty of 20+ snowstorms but who's counting.

If it snows in November(and not just flurries) and accumulates...it's a bonus for the area/SNE.  Back in November of 12, we had a decent event just after Election day that year...it was a good lil event for the area.  But more times than not...November is not very wintry for the most part...especially the first 3/4 of it on average.  Yes it can be grey...no doubt, and it gets dark early, but if it's mild and or wet...not a whole lot of fun.  

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I kinda feel you on this. It's a mental thing though.

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nothing says winter like sunburned napes ,mud, birds chirping , and the sound of leaf blowers  blowing the last few months of debris off lawns . But hey at least light!

Spring skiing into late March, April, even May is 100 x better than early November skiing...cuz it doesn't happen around here

1 minute ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Spring skiing into late March, April, even May is 100 x better than early November skiing...cuz it doesn't happen around here

Not all of us define winter based on skiing. You're comparing depth to wintry appeal.

Mood wise I've just about had it with snow in March...obviously not that I can control it...

I enjoy a good March or April snowstorm, but by the equinox I just want warmth, UV on my skin, and to start my seedlings. In Novie I'm getting the snow board ready and feeling the holiday spirit with the hope of a snowy winter.

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I kinda feel you on this. It's a mental thing though.

And I Can too...but as you stated it's a mental thing, and as I stated it's a Perceived thing/notion...that most times is just not really all that accurate.  But I guess if it gives a good feeling to one inside...then that's what matters to them.  

8 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Both are not common.

But more common 3/23 probably by a good margin.  There have been multiple 6+ events around that March date but they are few and far between in November-even late November at least in Tolland, CT.   But hey-maybe this is the year!  I'd rather it then vs March.   I'm heading to FL this year 12/25-29-actually looking forward to it.

Every winter weenie wants snow for Thanksgiving, but we know it's not that easy to get unless you live way up in Maine or in a hut at 1800 feet in the Greens. This seems more like a discussion of "what we want" vs "what is actually more common"...yeah, I think we'd all want 6"+ storms around Thanksgiving to be more common than the current rate of them in mid-March, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way....we have to "use" the low sun angle in October/November to cool the atmosphere down from the summer.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Every winter weenie wants snow for Thanksgiving, but we know it's not that easy to get unless you live way up in Maine or in a hut at 1800 feet in the Greens. This seems more like a discussion of "what we want" vs "what is actually more common"...yeah, I think we'd all want 6"+ storms around Thanksgiving to be more common than the current rate of them in mid-March, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way....we have to "use" the low sun angle in October/November to cool the atmosphere down from the summer.

It would be great if today's afternoon temperatures could stay around.  Feel of autumn today.

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But more common 3/23 probably by a good margin.  There have been multiple 6+ events around that March date but they are few and far between in November-even late November at least in Tolland, CT.   But hey-maybe this is the year!  I'd rather it then vs March.   I'm heading to FL this year 12/25-29-actually looking forward to it.

Of course the original post was "Nov is a cold month" not which month would you rather have snow, although seems to me Nov snow retention is usually meh, why, because its warm

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It would be great if today's afternoon temperatures could stay around.  Feel of autumn today.

Yes it does feel very much like Autumn today..quite cool to be honest...almost early November like since we've been talking about November so much.  Although, I found yesterday's mild temps to be fine too.   

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Of course the original post was "Nov is a cold month" not which month would you rather have snow, although seems to me Nov snow retention is usually meh, why, because its warm

If you can actually get some cold temps in November, the retention would be great with the low sun angle...but yeah, too often after November snow, you have a day or two near 50F within the next week (because November isn't a cold month), so it rarely lasts more than a few days. There are exceptions of course.

Archived