Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

That's why I like living where I do.  I find it a happy medium between a hilltop and being down in a valley.  I have enough elevation to help on most elevation snow events and I'm low enough to cool off at night which helps in the summer.  It also helps having a hill to my west which blocks some afternoon sun/heat in the summer as well.

Living on a hilltop is sure interesting.  Gardens going strong today.  No frost yet places 125 miles south of me had a killing frost last night.  In the winter I will almost never have the coldest readings, that is reserved to the valleys below.  Only on the windy strong cold air advection nights may I be colder than everyone else.  On the other hand I'll snow while it will rain 600-700 feet below.  I'll take that and trade in a few frosts or super cold rad. nights!

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, dendrite said:

My first April here was 2007. I'm still waiting to match that.

38F

I think you'll wait a long time, unless CNH gets an April version of the Octobomb.  Farmington's 36.1" that month is just over a foot more than in its other 124 Aprils of record.

We were just discussing snowfall at the office, and I noticed a disturbing trend in xmACIS

At GYX since I moved here the April snowfall amounts have been 0.2", 0.6", 1.2", 3.0", 5.2" and 11.0"

All about location - my totals for those years:  T, 1.4", 2.0", 5.8", 1.0", 5.3" - was too far north the past 2 Aprils.  Irony.

My April average is 5.0" but the median is 2.0".  Top 3:  37.2" (2007), 15.6" (2011), 6.2" (2000); at the bottom are 3 years (1999, 2009, 2012) with 10 "T" among them.

re: Eek's tropical - A former co-worker had a banana plant at his home a few miles west of CAR, and did the drag-in/drag-out exercise.  After several fruitless years, he left it out to its inevitable fate.  (His lemon tree produced fruit, however.)

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Living on a hilltop is sure interesting.  Gardens going strong today.  No frost yet places 125 miles south of me had a killing frost last night.  In the winter I will almost never have the coldest readings, that is reserved to the valleys below.  Only on the windy strong cold air advection nights may I be colder than everyone else.  On the other hand I'll snow while it will rain 600-700 feet below.  I'll take that and trade in a few frosts or super cold rad. nights!

Couldn’t have said it better. Fake cold for a few nights is great in the fall.. and if your Rocks get off on frost there’s that too. But elevation FTW in general 

2 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

128/I-95 in waltham/Lexington/Bedford/Burlington has been under construction for at least 2 years now. something like 10 miles of highway. unreal.

I think I-84 just east of Waterbury is finishing its 3rd year of construction delays, about as long as building the new Tappan Zee bridge (except the latter is fully open.)  At least it's not like some NNJ events back when I lived there - repainting the centerline 2-3 weeks before resurfacing the road.
Mid 20s at the frost pocket this AM, bringing down showers of leaves despite no wind.  Frost was still firm on the pickup roof when I left the house just before 9 AM.

28 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I think I-84 just east of Waterbury is finishing its 3rd year of construction delays, about as long as building the new Tappan Zee bridge (except the latter is fully open.)  At least it's not like some NNJ events back when I lived there - repainting the centerline 2-3 weeks before resurfacing the road.
Mid 20s at the frost pocket this AM, bringing down showers of leaves despite no wind.  Frost was still firm on the pickup roof when I left the house just before 9 AM.

Just a quick clarification, one span of the new bridge is open with all the traffic on that one span.  They need to remove portions of the old bridge in order to finish the second span.

46 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just a quick clarification, one span of the new bridge is open with all the traffic on that one span.  They need to remove portions of the old bridge in order to finish the second span.

Oh well, another two years for that - Waterbury might get done before that.  We crossed it headed north after our Norway trip, just a week before any civilian traffic was allowed.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Couldn’t have said it better. Fake cold for a few nights is great in the fall.. and if your Rocks get off on frost there’s that too. But elevation FTW in general 

Yeah...It helps keep you cool while a tarmac like BDL torches. Also the sleet can be less painful if it hasn't reached its terminal velocity yet.

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The best is to have a mix of both.

Elevated valleys in the 700-1200ft range get you both...or even take it to the next level at a place like Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, valley at 1,800ft.

The waterbury project has incentive to finish by aug 2019, hopefully they will but if not june 2020 is the goal. Another important project is 84 in danbury which begins in 2022 and shceduled to finish in 2028. Then, for sanity of mankind....the 95 corridor from bridgeport to stamford is planned for a major overhaul but no official word on when that project will start, the funding is still on going for it. 

There are many more projects under the massive lets go CT bill which is long overdue and much needed as the state has the worst road and rail infraustructure in the country. 

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

The best is to have a mix of both.

Elevated valleys in the 700-1200ft range get you both...or even take it to the next level at a place like Lake Placid in the Adirondacks, valley at 1,800ft.

It's hard to find the perfect place, at least where people can build homes.  I thought my friend Alex seemed to have found the perfect place up in Bretton Woods.  A valley at 1500 feet at the north foot of the Whites.  Since he put his weather station and cam online a year ago I watch it closely.  He gets great radiational cooling.  Good upslope snows but doesn't get the cold air damning like I do.  Also with synoptic snows, I have noticed that he misses out with downsloping.  Maybe its the upper-level south/southwest winds coming down on the north side of the Whites?  Probably PF's location at Stowe is about the best with endless days of upslope.  Downside is  the moisture content of the snow is so low it melts so much quicker than me. Also, at least the last few years VT seems to be too far NW for the big coastals.  I like my spot if I had to factor in everything New England weather has to offer as well as not being too far away from  Metro Boston and all that, that has to offer.   I was 500 feet higher up on a ridgeline and perhaps 30 miles further north into the S Whites.

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

It's hard to find the perfect place, at least where people can build homes.  I thought my friend Alex seemed to have found the perfect place up in Bretton Woods.  A valley at 1500 feet at the north foot of the Whites.  Since he put his weather station and cam online a year ago I watch it closely.  He gets great radiational cooling.  Good upslope snows but doesn't get the cold air damning like I do.  Also with synoptic snows, I have noticed that he misses out with downsloping.  Maybe its the upper-level south/southwest winds coming down on the north side of the Whites?  Probably PF's location at Stowe is about the best with endless days of upslope.  Downside is  the moisture content of the snow is so low it melts so much quicker than me. Also, at least the last few years VT seems to be too far NW for the big coastals.  I like my spot if I had to factor in everything New England weather has to offer as well as not being too far away from  Metro Boston and all that, that has to offer.   I was 500 feet higher up on a ridgeline and perhaps 30 miles further north into the S Whites.

My perfect spot would be about 2-3 miles west of where I am and 300ft higher around 1,100ft.  My 125" average would end up more like 160"...still with great rad cooling but a bump up in annual precipitation.  

The coastal storms obviously have a better chance further SE but we get plenty of synoptic snows most winters...they just may not all be big hyped up events.  We get some decent southeasterly flow upslope in synoptic events here on the east slope, so that's usually fun too.  

I generally think of this climate as getting similar synoptic snows as everyone else in NNE (say 80" worth) but the added mesoscale snows are what brings the averages up there to a couple feet above 100".  

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Southern VT to me is the real weenie spot.  They have hollows and glens that are at 2,000ft and get some very cold rad temps along with ridiculous precipitation.  

Not familiar with the region at all, but would spots in Southern N.H. max out even a bit more, due to it's location closer to the coast ?

8 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Not familiar with the region at all, but would spots in Southern N.H. max out even a bit more, due to it's location closer to the coast ?

I think the southern Greens really benefit from the moisture off the lakes and upslope snows. The Monadnocks can clean up in a coastal, but they don't get the same upslope because the Greens squeeze it all out before getting there.

7 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

I had a friend who lived in  Worcester Country west of Boston.  He lived in a town NW of Worcester called Paxton.  High elevation town for that area.  Boy did they get snow when the Boston area missed out yet close enough to the Metro area that he could commute.  

When I lived in the Boston area and was a total winter weather weenie I wanted a weekend place in NNE that got lots of snow.  My prerequisite was it had to be fairly close to Boston where I had my business so I could commute on weekends.  So I chose this location as a compromise for snowfall but also that it is 1 hour and 50 minutes to downtown Boston.  Otherwise, I would have gone further north.  Then in 2001 sold the business and moved up here.  Never looked back...

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think the southern Greens really benefit from the moisture off the lakes and upslope snows. The Monadnocks can clean up in a coastal, but they don't get the same upslope because the Greens squeeze it all out before getting there.

That is the one down side that I forgot to mention for my location.  No lake effect at all.  Everything dries up 20-30 miles to my west or north.  When upslope starts I know I can go count the individual flakes in my spotlights!  Very frustrating in that regard.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Southern VT to me is the real weenie spot.  They have hollows and glens that are at 2,000ft and get some very cold rad temps along with ridiculous precipitation.  

Truckee california is my weenie spot... Cool crisp night in summer and a ton of snow in winter... 

18 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I think southern Vermont also just has a decently higher average elevation...it's like a 2,000ft plateau with a bunch of hollows that dip down to 1,500ft (cold spots) and higher inhabited areas up to 2,400ft like in Woodford (peaks like at the ski areas above 3,000ft). 

They get a ton of precipitation as there's no real direction that'll be bad for low level flow.  Southeast flow synoptic event... upslope.  Westerly flow, say clipper system...upslope. 

vt_topo_burlington.gif

New England annual precipitation...they do really well in an overlap between cold climate and moisture.  Thunderstorms unload over them too...coming out of the flats of eastern NY they can be a severe magnet in the summer.

NE_precip_normals_1981-2010.png

16 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

I had a friend who lived in  Worcester Country west of Boston.  He lived in a town NW of Worcester called Paxton.  High elevation town for that area.  Boy did they get snow when the Boston area missed out yet close enough to the Metro area that he could commute.  

When I lived in the Boston area and was a total winter weather weenie I wanted a weekend place in NNE that got lots of snow.  My prerequisite was it had to be fairly close to Boston where I had my business so I could commute on weekends.  So I chose this location as a compromise for snowfall but also that it is 1 hour and 50 minutes to downtown Boston.  Otherwise, I would have gone further north.  Then in 2001 sold the business and moved up here.  Never looked back...

You made a good choice.  Every spot has its pros and cons.  Some like to be closer to restaurants, stores, and other stuff like that...others like to be out in the middle of the woods where you need to drive 15-20 minutes just to get groceries.

Regardless of your location, your property and views are pretty amazing from your photos and webcam images you post.  That's worth a lot aside from any weather considerations.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

You made a good choice.  Every spot has its pros and cons.  Some like to be closer to restaurants, stores, and other stuff like that...others like to be out in the middle of the woods where you need to drive 15-20 minutes just to get groceries.

Regardless of your location, your property and views are pretty amazing from your photos and webcam images you post.  That's worth a lot aside from any weather considerations.

PF, interesting precip map you posted.  SE Grafton County where I am is actually in a 50-60 precip brown shading.  I'm surprised since I miss the lake effect.   Yeah,  I'm very happy with my spot.  Besides the weather, I live in one of the lower taxed NH towns.  Also 1 mile from one of the cleanest large lakes in the Northeast.  I have a historical house with acreage and a 40 miles view.   Very low crime in my town of 1000 to the point I don't lock our doors and leave the keys and wallet in the car.  (Shuushh, don't tell).  Feel pretty blessed all and all.... now lets get this winter on..  Good night...

8 hours ago, SJonesWX said:

128/I-95 in waltham/Lexington/Bedford/Burlington has been under construction for at least 2 years now. something like 10 miles of highway. unreal.

Then there's China:

This would have taken many weeks around here.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

My perfect spot would be about 2-3 miles west of where I am and 300ft higher around 1,100ft.  My 125" average would end up more like 160"...still with great rad cooling but a bump up in annual precipitation.  

The coastal storms obviously have a better chance further SE but we get plenty of synoptic snows most winters...they just may not all be big hyped up events.  We get some decent southeasterly flow upslope in synoptic events here on the east slope, so that's usually fun too.  

I generally think of this climate as getting similar synoptic snows as everyone else in NNE (say 80" worth) but the added mesoscale snows are what brings the averages up there to a couple feet above 100".  

35" difference in only 2-3 miles and 300 feet?  Holy cow!

57 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I like that you can see little bullseyes near Dendrite, IZG, and Rumford, ME. 

50 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

PF, interesting precip map you posted.  SE Grafton County where I am is actually in a 50-60 precip brown shading.  I'm surprised since I miss the lake effect.   Yeah,  I'm very happy with my spot.  Besides the weather, I live in one of the lower taxed NH towns.  Also 1 mile from one of the cleanest large lakes in the Northeast.  I have a historical house with acreage and a 40 miles view.   Very low crime in my town of 1000 to the point I don't lock our doors and leave the keys and wallet in the car.  (Shuushh, don't tell).  Feel pretty blessed all and all.... now lets get this winter on..  Good night...

Wagons north for the next GTG???

39 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

35" difference in only 2-3 miles and 300 feet?  Holy cow!

The base area of the ski resort at 1,500ft probably averages 175-180", that's 50-60" more than here and it's only a few more miles away.  Just think, from the base of the ski area to the upper mountain snowstake (the 3,000ft one, where it's about a mile away between the two) the average goes from 180" to 310".  The elevation is one thing but that's a big difference, it's proximity to the actual mountain crest on a crazy gradient.

On 10/11/2017 at 5:45 AM, dendrite said:

http://mtarchive.geol.iastate.edu/2017/10/11/bufkit/

navigate back through the directory to get to a previous year. I think it goes back to 2010.

ughhh this blows...apparently the archive begins December 30th, 2010 :(

this throws a wrench into my presentation.  

16 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Also, makes for much more comfortable summer days while everyone else is complaining about HHH.

Archived