Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SJonesWX said:

i just want them to finish paving I-93 once and for all. the traffic is a disaster. the best is the people that have been slowing down for the "bump" that they left when the grinded down the pavement.

Agreed.  Its been sitting that way for at least a few weeks now.  Just get it done.  it looks like they are doing work on the sides right now.  Replacing the curbs on the north side of the rotary.  Hope this helps when its done.  Although I am bit skeptical that it helps much.  

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:

Why do road projects take forever? They'll finish it after a couple years, then like a year later you'll start seeing orange cones again and they are digging up some of the new pavement and it starts all over again.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I have no idea, I see other states and other countries not having this issue.  But around here, its just awful.  495 is notorious for constantly ripping up and replacing pavement over and over again.  The other thing that is annoying is when they rip up the pavement in late spring, but then don't pave it back over for many months afterward and there is no visible reason why they are waiting.   I have seen other states, where they are ripping up the pavement, sweeping and cleaning the rough pavement and then repaving it all at the same time.

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Agreed.  Its been sitting that way for at least a few weeks now.  Just get it done.  it looks like they are doing work on the sides right now.  Replacing the curbs on the north side of the rotary.  Hope this helps when its done.  Although I am bit skeptical that it helps much.  

I have no idea, I see other states and other countries not having this issue.  But around here, its just awful.  495 is notorious for constantly ripping up and replacing pavement over and over again.  The other thing that is annoying is when they rip up the pavement in late spring, but then don't pave it back over for many months afterward and there is no visible reason why they are waiting.   I have seen other states, where they are ripping up the pavement, sweeping and cleaning the rough pavement and then repaving it all at the same time.

Unions FTL.

6 minutes ago, Dan said:

Taxachusetts FTL. Does 495 get a lot of truck traffic? Pavement does not hold up well to that which is why NY uses concrete which is much more durable but also a lot harder to fix/replace than pavement. We have sections of 95 in southwestern CT that are milled and repaved every 2-3 years - takes about a week or two for them to do just a few miles across all lanes.

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Looks like 32° here on one of my sensors but the online one is reading 33°...still frosty.

I just noticed a new station in Union at 1K at 36°.

32° was low with lots of frost.  That's 8 days past my average first 32° reading.  My car thermometer dropped a couple of degrees as usual going down the hill with everything covered down there as well as river fog.  Nice signs of the times!

3 hours ago, snowman21 said:

Taxachusetts FTL. Does 495 get a lot of truck traffic? Pavement does not hold up well to that which is why NY uses concrete which is much more durable but also a lot harder to fix/replace than pavement. We have sections of 95 in southwestern CT that are milled and repaved every 2-3 years - takes about a week or two for them to do just a few miles across all lanes.

NYS uses concrete because they're stupid, plus the concrete industry used to be controlled by people that knew how to pull strings.   Concrete is the worst in a cold climate, the joints break and you get big sharp transverse holes.  I'm biased because I ride a bicycle, but if you're riding roads like Route 9 north of Schroon or something it is bang - bang - bang - bang until your fillings fall out.  

That doesn't beat the genius plan they did locally, one of the big hills up off the river on a state road was all broken up so they spent a summer ripping it out, replacing the road bed and paving it.  It was great, smooth as glass - until about a month later when they came to finish adding the rip rap to where they excavated the bank out a little.  They dumped it on the road and used a bobcat to shove it into place, gouging the hell out of the road surface.  And left it that way so it's like climbing one of the cobbled bergs in Belgium according to my pal that's from there.  

Weather related content - you guys that have been paying attention to this longer than I have, is the path of Hurricane Ophelia and the strength it looks to hit Ireland with a little unusual? 

4 hours ago, Dan said:

128/I-95 in waltham/Lexington/Bedford/Burlington has been under construction for at least 2 years now. something like 10 miles of highway. unreal.

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

35F.   Those lakes help you.  My elevation helps me.  Plants live yet another day...

I have a love/hate relationship with hillside living as far as temps go. Never can make claim to coldest morning, except on windy days/nights. Yet, first frost is much later than surrounding valleys and other areas in NE. Coldest morning so far was yesterday at 39.1F.

45 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

I have a love/hate relationship with hillside living as far as temps go. Never can make claim to coldest morning, except on windy days/nights. Yet, first frost is much later than surrounding valleys and other areas in NE. Coldest morning so far was yesterday at 39.1F.

That's why I like living where I do.  I find it a happy medium between a hilltop and being down in a valley.  I have enough elevation to help on most elevation snow events and I'm low enough to cool off at night which helps in the summer.  It also helps having a hill to my west which blocks some afternoon sun/heat in the summer as well.

Archived