Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

5 hours ago, dendrite said:

I think the foliage will be ok. I feel like every year we poopoo it early and it ends up at least normal. 

I know we do but I think something happened in the mountains this season.  The North Country isn't anything like my past years photos on this date for late September.  Tons of leaf drop and even bare trees in the Village mixed with green and brown.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I have some DDH Fort Point at home actually. That sounds like a good place to start tonight.

Next step is Tree House though, I may just bite the bullet and drive out of my way on the next trip home to see the parents.

How you haven't gone there yet is just mind boggling. Few hour drive 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

VD-07 had meat on its bones - BTV's 25.7" had 1.94" LE and came with temps in the singles.  Jan. 2-3, 2010 brought them 35.3" on just 0.91" LE (high end ratio for LES!) and had temps 20s and teens.  It built a 5" pack to 26", but 4 days later (w/o rain or temps above 26) it had shrunk to 15"..The 2007 event lifted depth from 6" to 30", and a week later (with 0.6" dusting on 2/18) BTV still had 23" OG.  I'm sure 2 days of watching feathers was fun for the weenies, but the earlier storm probably had 10X the impact.

Yeah Valentines Day required bucket loaders to clear the snow...you could leaf blow the other one haha.  

Though even still that 2010 liquid seems low.

The difference in the impact was that it was only BTV into the west slopes.  Stowe had like 6" and JSpin even had much less than BTV.  It was like right over the Lake where the persistent orographic and set up due to extreme blocking.  

I did enjoy the 2010 storm from my girlfriends in BTV.  Because the forecast was for 4-8" or something.  I remember waking up and being like no f'in way...there was 20" on the table outside and still dumping.  Anything proved for 4-8" that brings feet is a fun storm regardless of what happens days after haha.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah Valentines Day required bucket loaders to clear the snow...you could leaf blow the other one haha.  

Though even still that 2010 liquid seems low.

The difference in the impact was that it was only BTV into the west slopes.  Stowe had like 6" and JSpin even had much less than BTV.  It was like right over the Lake where the persistent orographic and set up due to extreme blocking.  

I did enjoy the 2010 storm from my girlfriends in BTV.  Because the forecast was for 4-8" or something.  I remember waking up and being like no f'in way...there was 20" on the table outside and still dumping.  Anything proved for 4-8" that brings feet is a fun storm regardless of what happens days after haha.

If it's ASOS, I think we know why.  Elsewhere, I've seen 80:1 ratios from that data source.   Maybe about 1.5" would have been more reasonable, still almost 25:1.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

If it's ASOS, I think we know why.  Elsewhere, I've seen 80:1 ratios from that data source.   Maybe about 1.5" would have been more reasonable, still almost 25:1.

Yeah it was certainly meso-scale fluff but that does seem more reasonable.  It was similar to snow you find in a nor'easter deform band when it's cranking silver dollars.

This is interesting from BTV... 19 days and counting without measurable precipitation.  

MVL had a whopping 0.02 this morning with the FROPA soon more streak there...but MPV is still going at 21 days.

The record dry stretch in 1903 is insane though for BTV.  52 days without measurable precip...what a spring that must've been.
.CLIMATE...
Several spots across the area now have one of the driest
stretches on record with no measurable precipitation or
precipitation at all:

For Burlington, based on records back to January 1884 here are
the 10 longest stretches on record with no measurable
precipitation:

1. 52 days from April 17 - June 7, 1903
2. 25 days from October 9 - November 2, 1924
3. 23 days from August 13 - September 4, 1894
4. 22 days from February 9 - March 2, 1978
4. 22 days from December 16, 1917 - January 6, 1918
4. 22 days from February 17 - March 10, 1901
7. 20 days from October 5 - 31, 1963
8. 19 days from October 9-27, 1947
8. 19 days from March 25 - April 12, 1941

***19 days currently from September 10, 2017 through September
 28, 2017. Last date of any precipitation at BTV was September
 9, 2017 with 0.01 inch.
For Montpelier, this is the second longest stretch without
measurable precipitation dating back to June 1, 1948. The
current stretch of 21 days started September 8th through today.
Only January 2-February 1, 2003 at 31 days had a longer stretch
with no measurable precipitation officially recorded.

6 hours ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I graduated a long time ago.  Just went back for some refresher classes.  

Double Dry Hopped Fort Point Ale

Double Dry Hopped Summer Street

Vicinity DIPA

Mettle DIPA

Scaled Up DIPA

Farnsworth Street DIPA

So I tried the Farnsworth and Fort Point.  I must say the Farnsworth was noticeably better.  Much more fruity and aromatic and the flavors popped.  Enjoyed that from 1st to last sip.  The Fort Point was good but the aroma was of alcohol which carried into the taste.  Can is dated the 14th of Sept.  I'll pass judgement till I have another but the hype may be less than warranted.

First mention of snow of the season in the BTV AFD...lol that 4-5000ft band really only applies to a few peaks in the Adirondacks...BTV still great at discussing the peaks more than the lower elevations if that's where the interesting weather is, ha:

Also interesting are the temperature profiles. The latest 00z guidance indicates that 850mb temperatures will be hovering close to 0c overnight across the northern half of the area. That would support a snow level down to about 4000 feet, with any opportunity for accumulation generally above 4500 feet. When overlaying those snow levels with where the bulk of the precipitation is expected to fall, we come up with the possibility of a little snow accumulation (<1") on the highest peaks of the Adirondacks (eg: Mt Marcy and whiteface). For where people live, lows will be in the 40s, and close to 50f adjacent to Lake Champlain.

19 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Considering GFS warm bias, deformation, and lifting in DGZ...I could see that on top of Ossipees for example. 

gfs_2017092906_030_43.5--71.75.png

Ahh ok gotcha.  I thought you were talking verbatim and am on the phone so just saw the crude maps.  Just looked warm but there is some mid-level fronto north of the low.

Did not check the thermometer this morning, but noted the frozen dew on the pickup roof. 
Mean temp yesterday was 12F less warm than the day before, still +5.6.  Sept. 13-28 has run +9.5, by far the most impressive 10+ day AN period I've recorded in 20 Septembers, and that following the -8.7 for Aug 24-Sept 3, most impressive 10+ day BN run in summer.  The month will finish about +3, and nearly a dead heat with 2015 for 2nd mildest Sept., 1.3F behind 1999.

7 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Ahh ok gotcha.  I thought you were talking verbatim and am on the phone so just saw the crude maps.  Just looked warm but there is some mid-level fronto north of the low.

Yeah, I mean it's sort of thinking out loud here...and we'll never know given nobody is there at 3K..LOL. But..it's not impossible. That's why I said close to snow. Had to make some educated assumptions.

Archived