• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

What's interesting to me with the BTV data is that I think we all have realized there's something there that has led to much hotter temperatures in the past 10-20 years.  They crush warm records like its their job.

But back in 1895 it hit 87F on September 23rd (yesterday).  So over 120 years ago, it got up to 87F this time of year.  I have to wonder if that temperature back then, would be similar to today's 91F once you factor in the urban heat island effect.

For Burlington, here are the latest in the year dates for reaching
specific temperature thresholds

90F or higher:  9/16/1939
88F or higher:  9/22/1965
87F or higher:  9/23/1895
86F or higher:  9/23/1895 (was 87F that day)

BTV even mentioned the urban heat island effect in their overnight lows tonight:

Otherwise...did tweak our overnight low temps
here up several degrees due to the urban heat island effect.
Thinking lows range from near 60f mountain valleys to around 70f
locally here in the CPV.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, powderfreak said:

What's interesting to me with the BTV data is that I think we all have realized there's something there that has led to much hotter temperatures in the past 10-20 years.  They crush warm records like its their job.

But back in 1895 it hit 87F on September 23rd (yesterday).  So over 120 years ago, it got up to 87F this time of year.  I have to wonder if that temperature back then, would be similar to today's 91F once you factor in the urban heat island effect.

For Burlington, here are the latest in the year dates for reaching
specific temperature thresholds

90F or higher:  9/16/1939
88F or higher:  9/22/1965
87F or higher:  9/23/1895
86F or higher:  9/23/1895 (was 87F that day)

BTV even mentioned the urban heat island effect in their overnight lows tonight:

Otherwise...did tweak our overnight low temps
here up several degrees due to the urban heat island effect.
Thinking lows range from near 60f mountain valleys to around 70f
locally here in the CPV.

I have the AC cranking. It sucks here tonight LOL.

42 minutes ago, eyewall said:

I have the AC cranking. It sucks here tonight LOL.

BTV, South Burlington, Winooski, etc are rough in the warm season.  Just doesn't cool off at night and get hotter during the day.  Living in a top floor apartment in BTV was brutal with little ventilation back during college.  It really is a different world in BTV vs. the mountain valleys.

Not bad here now that it's in the 60s... these obs are up to an hour old, but the areas that are usually well mixed like BTV and ORH are staying up while the mountain valleys (like in the Berkshires, up here and NNH) are able to drop.  The coastal regions get the ocean A/C.  Funny how MVY is the coldest ASOS in New England and close to the MWN temperature at 6,200ft.

Most of these evening temperatures are still much higher than the average high temp for this date, except for the coastal regions.

gqVn0jL.jpg

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

You deinstalled and are pissed

High much?

I've stated the opposite for the past week or so...In fact I never installed this season at all.  My apartment is nice and insulated.  No idea what my ex wife has done at the house.  Normally install in June and ex-tall in early Sept., or at least shut down.

28 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

High much?

I've stated the opposite for the past week or so...In fact I never installed this season at all.  My apartment is nice and insulated.  No idea what my ex wife has done at the house.  Normally install in June and ex-tall in early Sept., or at least shut down.

Jeezus, had no idea you got divorced. Hope things are ok.

36 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

High much?

Missed it, enjoy .Glad things are working out for you. 

17 hours ago, Hoth said:

Tough to go wrong with any of them. Several college friends went to DA and loved it (though as a Choatie I'm required to wrinkle my nose). My aunt went to Northfield. The campus is so big you get bussed between classes. Might I also suggest Taft or Hotchkiss? My brother went to Taft and considers his four years there the best of his life to date. Both schools are an easy drive from GC.  

I wasn't wowed by PA.  Maybe it was just to hot out that way today.  I like Deerfield a lot more.  I'd like to see Hotchkiss (I've been there for other purposes over the years; potential parent though was not the reason for the visit so my lens will be very different.  My daughter would like to see Choate.  We'll see...

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

That's awesome!  Can you slow it down and repost?

Yesterday's 84 sucked.  Needless to say, I used the fan last night.  In fact, I suspect this may be the warmest night in a couple years; the low so far is 67.2*.  Looks like a high launch pad for Monday.

Does NMH still do the immersive English language academy for kids from overseas?  You meet a lot of really interesting people from quite varied backgrounds.  They consolidated a few years back so the Northfield campus and the buses are gone.  I might be biased but I'd give that school a hard look if the academics are still any good.

On 9/23/2017 at 9:03 PM, HoarfrostHubb said:

CT Blizz, Powderfreak, Hippievalley, or any of the other beer folk...

Ever try Hill Farmstead out of Vermont?   Ate dinner at Armsby Abbey in Worcester and they had a few of their beers on tap.  Really good stuff.  They had Trillium and Medusa among tons of others.  Their Trillium kegs had kicked so no luck there...

Hill Farmstead does some awesome stuff. I've had Edward, Susan, Abner, and one of the Self-Reliance series. I kind of did my own little tasting at the Prohibition Pig one day. 

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Pics or it didn't happen.

The epic bear climb and we missed it!   Similar thing happen to us a couple of years ago.  Heard very loud noises one evening.  Turned on the spot light and saw a large bear sharpening his claws on our cedar shake siding.  Bears don't bother me.  The large coyote that took down a fawn in our pasture last month did.    

1 minute ago, wxeyeNH said:

Brian,  that worked.  He got really high up in the tree.   That's a pear tree?  Guess pears are ripe and good for eating?

The pears are way past ripeness. There was large, good ones on the back tree, but the front tree was loaded with small, unedible ones. The tree needs some major pruning. There were a few left up there, but 90% of them had already fallen by last night. The apple tree is at peak though, but that isn't in view.

And for mpm and others...if you need to slow it down for now try right clicking the video and playing it at half speed.

Archived