Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

U50s and sheet drizzle now. At least we had some good rains earlier. Almost .75" now. Lawn needed it.

So much different up here the past few days lol...high diurnal ranges in clear skies.  

Haven't seen a cloud in days...hit at least 78F this afternoon off the crisp 40F low.  Hoping we got to 80F between obs for the 40-degree range.

Just saw some spots in NE VT were down in the mid-30s this morning...Averill and Island Pond Airport with a 36F.  Surprised it could get that cold with these 850s.

Some solid record heat coming up.

We'll get our hottest days up here since the early June heat when we hit 89F.  After that it failed to get above 84F until now in mid/late September.

So many years it seems our hottest weather is very early in the season or very late, lol.

315 PM EDT Friday...12z guidance doesn't indicate anything different than what we've had for days. Hot and dry. 925mb temperatures will be 22-23c. We should easily soar well into the 80s, with some valley locations around 90f not out of the question. Ran hysplit to determine trajectories of where our airmass for Sunday currently is. The answer is Illinois/Iowa/ Missouri region. Guess what, they've got temperatures in the low 90s and dewpoints in the upper 60s. So I can't see why we won't set high temperature records all over the place. Probably most noticeable will be an increase in humidity, and when combined with the hot temperatures, we will have heat index values in the 90-95f range. You'll need to take it slow outside, especially if doing something active. Temperatures even at the summits will be in the 70s.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I've got family driving through Yellowstone right now...

This was what they found yesterday along the highway.

21617981_10155986952277494_9172917423912

Been in Northern Idaho for a few weeks for my mother in laws passing; amazing change in weather as we went from 80 and smoky to frost and sleet. Looking forward to being back home on Sunday, looks like a missed an amazing stretch of weather!

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Possible record highs coming up...funny how 2007 also saw some good heat around this time given all the talk about that winter in the winter thread.  Also 2010 had some heat around this time asthe Massena records show....both Nina years.  

IMG_6841.JPG.57c39383047d220ddef331242233802f.JPG

Some 100F temperatures were recorded in that 1895 heat wave around NYC. I believe Central Park had an official high of 97F. Probably the most significant heat wave in September besides the 1953 heat wave when 100F was recorded early in the month and there were like 13 straight days above 90F. But 1895 may be more impressive because it was much later in the month and in a much colder climate. Hitting upper 90s on 9/1 is way different than hitting upper 90s on 9/25.

Looks like another sunny and warm day to kick off the weekend in GC.  So much better than the crap we've been having in Boston.

Speaking of Boston, the days of my horrible commute are numbered.  I finish up there on Nov. 17th.  I will not miss that car time in the least.  Nor the 2:50 wake-up call.

Not sure what's next.......perhaps back into consulting.

7 hours ago, heavy_wx said:

I drove to the Cape from PA today; low 80s and sun until hitting eastern CT. Then it clouded up to light/moderate rain down 495 and route 6.

Of course I had to stop at Tree House being on the way and just off of I-84.

What time were you there? I was there around 2:30..That was Mayhem yesterday

Archived