Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Playing a little golf around Wachusett today. It's really my first time in the Route 2 area. There be dragons here is right. 

You playing at Wachusett CC in West Boylston or actually up near the mountain (think there's a course in Westminster pretty close)?

Fun terrain to play in.

9 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Pretty sure that's the one.

Wachusett CC is actually prob like 10 miles SE of the mountain. But it's a fun course. It was our home course when playing on my high school golf team. There's some decent terrain and elevated tees on a few holes.

Better score well on 10 (easy par 5) because 11 is the worst hole of all time...nasty par 4 with an awful green (it's always hard and it slopes) and it's long uphill dog leg left. I think I've probably made par on that hole once in about 100 rounds. The front 9 is def easier than the back...in fact, there's prob no good excuse not to be only a couple over par (or better) after 4 or 5 holes even if you are a bogey golfer.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Wachusett CC is actually prob like 10 miles SE of the mountain. But it's a fun course. It was our home course when playing on my high school golf team. There's some decent terrain and elevated tees on a few holes.

Better score well on 10 (easy par 5) because 11 is the worst hole of all time...nasty par 4 with an awful green (it's always hard and it slopes) and it's long uphill dog leg left. I think I've probably made par on that hole once in about 100 rounds. The front 9 is def easier than the back...in fact, there's prob no good excuse not to be only a couple over par (or better) after 4 or 5 holes even if you are a bogey golfer.

Well 2 over after 4 because of an ugly double on 3.

It's a pretty course though.

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Well 2 over after 4 because of an ugly double on 3.

It's a pretty course though.

Oh man...you doubled the short par 4 up the hill. That oen can be tricky if you mess the drive up or have a putting disaster on the multi-tiered green. Better make hay on the next 3 holes because 8 and 9 are not that easy (longish) and then you get the tougher back 9 after an easy 10th hole.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Oh man...you doubled the short par 4 up the hill. That oen can be tricky if you mess the drive up or have a putting disaster on the multi-tiered green. Better make hay on the next 3 holes because 8 and 9 are not that easy (longish) and then you get the tougher back 9 after an easy 10th hole.

Disaster. Snapped one off the tee on 6 and tripled it. Just about to hit the tough 11th. 

I need Hubb Dave's microbrews.

Love that!

just has a pixel shower that was really heavy...  Trees started swaying like literally just over my immediate section of town and there was open sky with cu fragments and blue regions visible in all directions while it happened...  

That sort of micro-convective display is fascinating.  With those wind gusts, ...like a weak tiny wet microburst... 

If you're computing the specific energy change (J/KG) for the heating of dry air at a constant volume from 0C to 10C would I use one of the forms of the 1st law of thermodynamics?  I'm a little confused in how to start this.  I was thinking of using w = integral from a 1 to a 2 of p da (a = alpha) or maybe something involving dh/dT since I can equal that to cv and my final equation would be du = cvdT?  my dT would be 10C but not sure what I would use as a number for "constant volume

10 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

If you're computing the specific energy change (J/KG) for the heating of dry air at a constant volume from 0C to 10C would I use one of the forms of the 1st law of thermodynamics?  I'm a little confused in how to start this.  I was thinking of using w = integral from a 1 to a 2 of p da (a = alpha) or maybe something involving dh/dT since I can equal that to cv and my final equation would be du = cvdT?  my dT would be 10C but not sure what I would use as a number for "constant volume

Just found something...the specific heat for dry air at SLP is 1000 J/KG.  so would I just do du = (1000 J/KG) (10C)?  That seems way too easy for this type of problem

49 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Snow at Red Lodge, MT this morning.

Saw a bunch of western resorts saw snow, Alta, Crested Butte, Telluride, etc.

IMG_6770.thumb.JPG.6d77d4482d0fb428e529e851d75bf9ac.JPG

Pretty big trough setting up next week for the mountain west....gonna be a lot of snow reports I'd think. Prob some pretty big totals in the northern rockies in spots. Yellowstone area looks like a good spot.

Archived