Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Saw video of the Northeast Kingdom of VT and Fall colors advancing nicely. The next two weeks look warm, but seems like an early season.

I think we are early but only a week or two.  I think normal peak for the NEK is about the last week of September so that would make sense.  It should be interesting to see what a mild stretch will do.  We've been regularly in the 40s at night a couple of mornings in the 30s not too long ago but it looks like we'll just have lows in the 50s.

56 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Saw video of the Northeast Kingdom of VT and Fall colors advancing nicely. The next two weeks look warm, but seems like an early season.

I'd say we are a week ahead, which is really pretty much all you can probably get.  It does seem that regardless of weather it'll all average out in the end as far as timing of foliage.  Hard for it to be like a month early or late, haha.

I will say this morning we went to the top of the Gondola on ATVs and it felt more like a summer morning than anything we've had in weeks.  Temps in the mid-50s with almost a mild breeze (while Town was in the 40s) and full sun...it has that hazy sunshine look and feel of warmth as opposed to the cloudy NW wind 41F we had for days on end last week.  

Decent launching point when it's 55F up here so early in the morning.  

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm surprised how quickly things are turning here.  There has actually been a lot of leaf fall already with some trees going right to faded yellow and brown.  Probably something to do with the dry conditions?

20 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

My Bay Area friends were all worked up about this but is this really that unusual?  I assumed SF got their share of T-Storms?

sounds like media hype to me. 

http://www.sfgate.com/local/article/Bay-Area-thunder-lightning-rain-storm-weather-SF-12189916.php?asd

Nah that is rare. There has been a plume of instability in the region from SE flow...but that is rare for SFO.

33 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I'm surprised how quickly things are turning here.  There has actually been a lot of leaf fall already with some trees going right to faded yellow and brown.  Probably something to do with the dry conditions?

I think our foliage will suck here locally. Between the very dry 6 weeks and a fungus hitting maples hard...we brown.

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nah that is rare. There has been a plume of instability in the region from SE flow...but that is rare for SFO.

Is the rarity of t-storms because the stability of the marine layer kills convection? A more dramatic version of the severe thunderstorm graveyard of SE New England?

49 minutes ago, WNash said:

Is the rarity of t-storms because the stability of the marine layer kills convection? A more dramatic version of the severe thunderstorm graveyard of SE New England?

Marine layer and dryness. The mtns can get storms off in the Sierra with monsoon flow. SFO has a better shot of convection in winter when those big Pac lows plow into the region.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Marine layer and dryness. The mtns can get storms off in the Sierra with monsoon flow. SFO has a better shot of convection in winter when those big Pac lows plow into the region.

The 8 years I lived in SoCal I can only remember getting thunder and lightning once or twice...it was during winter with a big Pac LP.   It may only been one time, but it was house shaker for sure. 

The National Weather Service reported Tuesday morning that 1,200 cloud-to-ground strikes and 5,800 in-cloud strikes hit the Bay Area Monday night.

"You can see both," says Scott Rowe, a meteorologist with the National Weather Service office in Monterey. "Both are just as dangerous."

If you live in a cloud?

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

The 8 years I lived in SoCal I can only remember getting thunder and lightning once or twice...it was during winter with a big Pac LP.   It may only been one time, but it was house shaker for sure. 

15 years for me-plenty of summer thunder but rarely rain.  The summer is the desert monsoon season. 

8 minutes ago, weathafella said:

15 years for me-plenty of summer thunder but rarely rain.  The summer is the desert monsoon season. 

I honestly cant recall summer thunder, even during monsoon season.  Maybe my memory is foggy as Im sure there were some storms inland and over the high Elevations in the Laguna and Cuyamaca ranges in eastern San Diego County later in the season.  I lived about 2 blocks from the water, remember May Gray and June Gloom though pretty vividly.

Just now, backedgeapproaching said:

I honestly cant recall summer thunder, even during monsoon season.  Maybe my memory is foggy as Im sure there were some storms inland and over the high Elevations in the Laguna and Cuyamaca ranges in eastern San Diego County later in the season.  I lived about 2 blocks from the water, remember May Gray and June Gloom though pretty vividly.

That was so awful!  Like backdoor season but 25 degrees warmer.

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

78.5F max here. Warm, but not too hot. Pretty much a perfect day.

Not much in the way of low level lapse rates today...got to 67F at the summit and only upper 70s to near 80F for the valleys.  BTV is the warmest at 80F.  

Mid-summer, if the summit hits 67F, that's mid-80s for BTV and low-80s at MVL/MPV.  Low level lapse rates a bit less today as everyone in the 300-1,500ft range seemed to be a uniform at 78-80F.  

4 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

@tamarackI'm about halfway through the book that you recommended, "Thirty-Eight:The Hurricane That Transformed New England".  Its a very interesting read for sure, thanks for mentioning it.

Very glad you are enjoying it; that's all the thanks I need.  The book offers a picture of some things usually not covered by accounts of that storm, especially as read by foresters.  Having worked in a lot of 1938-origin spruce-pine stands in the country north and west of Rangeley, I was slightly disappointed that nothing was said about that region (which includes adjacent NH.)  Of course, when I noted that to the book's author this past January, I added that almost nobody lived there at the time, and so could understand the omission. 

Archived