Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Fiancé and I are kicking the tires on a possible move to New Hampshire. Pretty stunning how much cheaper houses and property are.

See if we can secure jobs and take it from there 

We are doing the same.  Probably next spring-summer.

8 minutes ago, Dan said:

We have a year lease for our apartment until July of next year, but I am fairly certain we could be released if the situation called for it.

Hoping to find something in my degree field. Obviously won't make the move unless I can secure a job first 

What's the allure in NH? 

Not that Mass' is any better - just wonderin'.   I've been up there many times and the people seem particularly provincial and stupid to me... Lot's a wannabe salt of the Earth types with gun racks, bad tats and weird teeth.   A.k.a, hill people... Especially Brian - hoooly smokes...

I'm kidding guys- NH be fine!  :) I really love North Conway in winter. We were there looking in on family crests; there's some story there that specializes in that sort of thing.  Anyway, we were there in early December way a back in the late 1980s .. and it was absolutely crystal clear out at sun set, with the sky tinted deep blue with failing glow from behind the Arete of some mountain range.  There was like two foot of snow on the level anyway, and the parking lot was rutted with kind of mostly snow/frozen slush kind of aftermath as though they were all of a day and a half out of a decent fresh snow fall. I remember standing there in a silent serenity of that setting in the biting cold, and just then... this whoosh of a wind gust came down the valley an momentarily filled the air with ground blizzard conditions... As quickly as that arose, it died back to calm.  Just so clear, cold, serene.. I think you get that idealized winter appeal that seems to tap deeply into the sentiment of many users here - maybe that is the allure.

First stage "Light color" status rolling across the elevations these days... I personally want a good dry stretch (like 2-3 weeks) to see the best foliage.  The cool (-2.4 JJA) summer has started things a bit early, but it has been wet as of late.  I would rather have dry, warm afternoons with crisp nights under clear/calm conditions to get the most vibrant colors.

TLiYGaf.jpg

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's rained at least a little every day since last Sunday.  Terrible.

Just awesome weather today with hours and hours of misery mist and light rain/drizzle.

f7hsQhO.jpg

Woah, the leaves are changing really fast there...repeated mornings in the upper 30s/lower 40s having an effect. That seems early even for Mt. Mansfield/Stowe area...don't those areas usually peak like Columbus Day or the week before? Those trees look like they will hit peak in 2 weeks if the cold continues...

NH is definitely cheaper but make sure you know about the property taxes...they can be a big deal especially when you just buy and first start paying your mortgage. You could literally add $700-1000 per month to your mortgage with property taxes versus more like 300-500$ on a mid priced home in MA. 

You of course will save 5% of your income versus MA due to no state income tax so that will help offset the higher property tax and no sales taxes saves a little more on the margins. Plus the houses themselves are pretty cheap as long as you aren't aiming for a trendy area like Portsmouth. But I've known people who get a little bit of sticker shock on property tax which can be a big deal when your first getting a mortgage and maybe trying to stretch your money. Just make sure you are budgeting that in your initial house search. 

12 hours ago, powderfreak said:

I agree to a point.  I think at their time they were sort of revolutionary in the microbrew world, especially Heady.  

I personally like the Crusher from Alechemist more, but Heady is what all the restaurants carry.

I agree to a point too. Is it hands down the best beer in the world, or even the country, no. But it's a damn fine beer. 

11 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Focalbanger is their best offering 

I wholeheartedly agree with Kevin. :o

11 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Fiancé and I are kicking the tires on a possible move to New Hampshire. Pretty stunning how much cheaper houses and property are.

See if we can secure jobs and take it from there 

Nice--smart move if you can do it.

9 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

NH is definitely cheaper but make sure you know about the property taxes...they can be a big deal especially when you just buy and first start paying your mortgage. You could literally add $700-1000 per month to your mortgage with property taxes versus more like 300-500$ on a mid priced home in MA. 

You of course will save 5% of your income versus MA due to no state income tax so that will help offset the higher property tax and no sales taxes saves a little more on the margins. Plus the houses themselves are pretty cheap as long as you aren't aiming for a trendy area like Portsmouth. But I've known people who get a little bit of sticker shock on property tax which can be a big deal when your first getting a mortgage and maybe trying to stretch your money. Just make sure you are budgeting that in your initial house search. 

Obviously, you need to look at taxes with any purchase.  Frankly, you can find some great places in NH (size/quality of property)with taxes that are better than what you pay in MA.  Plus, Mass taxes across the board are higher across the board..  Beginning with income tax.......  Don't get me started on the property tax at Pit 2.  Ugh!

Live free or die!

12 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

We have a year lease for our apartment until July of next year, but I am fairly certain we could be released if the situation called for it.

Hoping to find something in my degree field. Obviously won't make the move unless I can secure a job first 

Research the town. I say this as a biased m***hole, but some towns are just trash. It's interesting how they differ from literally one town to the other..but even srn NH has a lot of those places. 

You're gonna observe, and depending on your own echelon, encounters with riffraff provincials everywhere. I often wonder over the stories there - tedious and weird as they are.  Whatever's pinning them down in the country version of the dregs,  they must be so dejected in their lives that they are like bottom feeders in the ocean ...unknown to biologist.  In this case, the proletariat echelon above them (completing the metaphor) doesn't realize or forgets they are there.

Ha.  I have a friend living in a nice neighborhood outside Belchertown in western Mass .. The ride out there is a pass down two lane roads with plenty of homes where just the look of the front yard facades make you wonder, 'what goes on in there.'   Creepola.  Then you slow through a thoroughfare of what is the equivalent of any down town crossing in route, and it's 33 year-old tat cladded shirtless men with pop-bellies over torn stained jean's shorts, riding BMX bicycles... with one hand, while the other cradles a six pack of Schlits gold.  

Funny thing is?  That sort of ambience and setting is quite common in every state, ...and country, of the world. It's just the "economic hierarchical structure" of Humanity. There's that ...and, some sociological grad-student probably has identified specific methods/reasons/causes for groupings ...  Whatever those feed-back re-inforcers are aside it really seems to boil down to:  if one gets away from the achievers... they enter the kingdom of the settlers.  The latter has a broad range of those that range between hard workers, who perpetuate a delusion that god will ever take his cosmic dildo out of their 'life-butt' long enough to climb out, to those that are disconnected enough to not even realize they are disenfranchised - it's about cheap highs and complete disregard or awareness over self-dignity. Ignorance is plague. 

NH has 'em... Massachusetts has 'em.  When I travel to see old family in Michigan...they're around there too..  There's lots on the Del Marva Peninsula and southern NJ ..mid Atlantic brand of riffraff traveling to see family in Va Beach. Enough evenly dispersed that ...it's life and reality of society in my mind.  I mean, not everyone can be sophisticated and rich... Not everyone can be even middle class and reasonably unfettered with idiosyncrasies. Interesting. 

Where in NH would you go Brett?   If you're just going to be a Boston long commuter it's a tough life.  Otherwise try renting a place for a year to make sure it's a good match for you.  Lots of friends in NH and what you save in taxes you make up in property tax.   I love NH and would go country vs exurb if I lived there.

"The Kingdom of the Settlers." James, are you reading? That is the title of a novel. Some almost Nabokovian imagery in there, Tip, just needs a little synesthetic salt and a sprinkle of caustic mordantcy. As an aside, I'd also posit that most rich people are unsophisticated, or rather that they mistakenly equate a NetJets subscription, a black card in their wallet (or valise?), and a $500 bottle of wine at dinner with sophistication. The population of real sophisticates would fit on the head of a pin. 

15 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Then you slow through a thoroughfare of what is the equivalent of any down town crossing in route, and it's 33 year-old tat cladded shirtless men with pop-bellies over torn stained jean's shorts, riding BMX bicycles... with one hand, while the other cradles a six pack of Schlits gold.  

Ha this made me laugh because we can all picture it. 

Vermont has it too but when I drive to Albany, there is a subtle change between rural VT and rural NY.  Seems to be a lot more cars and tires in the front yards in upstate NY than VT...or at least in VT they are in the backyard, ha.  But Whitehall and Ft Ann, NY are interesting places, state prison and all.  

I do think that rural VT though per capita is more "put together" in appearances than what I see in NY.  Like you cross the boarder and the houses are the same but the lawns are mowed tight, the gardens look tended to, etc. It's weird.  

But everywhere has it and I'm with Dendrite, once the opioids run out in some of these communities, it's going to get interesting.

14 hours ago, Dan said:

I love New Hampshire! I'm yet another one of the people who moved from Mass to NH. It's good to embrace the low taxes, less regulation, etc. of New Hampshire. Of course, there can be less services but a balanced budget is a terrific thing. :)

Oh, and the weather's pretty nice. Here in the Monadnock hill towns we usually get a pretty decent amount of snow each year.

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

"The Kingdom of the Settlers." James, are you reading? That is the title of a novel. Some almost Nabokovian imagery in there, Tip, just needs a little synesthetic salt and a sprinkle of caustic mordantcy. As an aside, I'd also posit that most rich people are unsophisticated, or rather that they mistakenly equate a NetJets subscription, a black card in their wallet (or valise?), and a $500 bottle of wine at dinner with sophistication. The population of real sophisticates would fit on the head of a pin. 

Oh yeah... that irony did cross the mind when weaving those words together ..but, I wasn't going for a Nabokov novel either :lol:  ...  The difference is education (btw).  I am high enough in confidence to assure you that is not just merely my opinion, either.  Very poor people with broadly scoped intelligence ...don't tend to stay poor for very long? No. However, they are for that present station, 'sophisticated' in every sense of the word.  With intelligence, particularly broad in perspectives, that is thus 'worldly' about a great many things, cultured and polite ;)..  And that distinction of character doesn't really require anything having to do with one's wealth legacy. 

Then you get wealthy, worldly people ... better yet, wealth, worldly, good looking people: then you're really pissed!  ahahaha.

Anyway, for the purpose of that blurb take on societal dales... using  'rich sophistication' resonates well enough.  And, I should have wrote: "...once one leaves the realm of the achievers, they enter the kingdom of the settlers..." Ah well..  As far as the mordancy - really? in this arena?   no way man.. I'm constantly turning phrases in here that incense readers (probably because they know it reflects them and they get pissed..), so I try to find a friendly way of conveying 'imagery' while avoiding the caustic nature of incisive observation - sorry, people in here are the public, and my own failing is that I allow myself to get sucked into their outrage when you pluck their ... call them, atonal nerves of inharmonious functionality - you end up with 'un' intended synesthetic response. 

Long words for being diplomatic..  Save it for the novels...

We're all suckers for the superficial world of consumption...but we are just at different levels of both admitting it and how far suckered down the rabbit hole we've gone. There's never really a big reason for any of us to feel offended about the topic.

Having a science hobby like weather though is a nice escape from that grind...I can probably say that for a lot of us. 

13 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

We're all suckers for the superficial world of consumption...but we are just at different levels of both admitting it and how far suckered down the rabbit hole we've gone. There's never really a big reason for any of us to feel offended about the topic.

Having a science hobby like weather though is a nice escape from that grind...I can probably say that for a lot of us. 

But is that a choice thing?  Or ...is that 'people' of subsequent generations just being 'captive participators..' -

I mean, if they are born into this society, ..perhaps a couple three or more generations down the line for good measure, the individual is just doing what Human instinct instructs them to do: 'hopefully' fitting into a cooperative scheme as a pack-oriented species. It just so happens to be that in western cultures, capitalism bases value systems on things that poets recognize as superficial, and the rest of us comprehend in private frustration -

We're no different than a Wolf pack through it all.. We have a hierarchical command structure (fringed by pariahs - but that's why there exists a word for those types) but by and large,  we echelon that structure based upon wealth. It is just a vastly more sophisticated paradigm of a very similar built in instinct for organization of the group, just like the Wolf pack.

Archived