• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

With my focus on the the hurricanes, I hadn't noticed how cold the first week of September has been relative to normal.  This doesn't look to change in the next few days.  Departures on this scale, at this time of year aren't *that* easy to come by.

MPV... -5.3

BTV... -5.4

MMNV1... -6.1

MVL... -7.0

1V4... -7.7

Sept_6_2017_7DayTempDepartures.png.3b93dbc4d1423ab872e87cfb0874a9bf.png

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

With my focus on the the hurricanes, I hadn't noticed how cold the first week of September has been relative to normal.  This doesn't look to change in the next few days.  Departures on this scale, at this time of year aren't *that* easy to come by.

MPV... -5.3

BTV... -5.4

MMNV1... -6.1

MVL... -7.0

1V4... -7.7

ORH -5.1F.    We chilly

18 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Nice valley fog this morning with low 40s showing up.  It was nice leaving my house and going down the hill into fog.  I always like that this time of year.  It happened a couple of times last month too but it's nice being September and seeing it.

Got hit with that big gusty downpour last night around 7:30. Came out of nowhere. 

2 hours ago, MetHerb said:

Nice valley fog this morning with low 40s showing up.  It was nice leaving my house and going down the hill into fog.  I always like that this time of year.  It happened a couple of times last month too but it's nice being September and seeing it.

"Seasons of mist and mellow fruitfulness"

John Keats.  "Ode to Autumn"

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Another rainy morning up here.  Don't mind orographic lift when it's snow but with rain it could shut it off.

53F and raw at the office.  This has been like Oct climo the past week with these departures.

IMG_6700.GIF.600802a7f332ba1e21998c592c3a09af.GIF

Yeah wonder if that stuff makes it down here with fropa. Been hovering 70-71.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah wonder if that stuff makes it down here with fropa. Been hovering 70-71.

This radar is just classic fall to me...popcorn instability showers from the upper trough and cold pool, with heaviest concentration in NY downwind of the lakes.  

Another few weeks the p-type radars will start lighting those up blue over the high terrain with graupel and wet flakes in the heavier cores.  

The stuff where if you run out and measure fast enough you can get your first 0.1/0.2" off the snowboard as they coat the ground and then melt 15 minutes later lol.

IMG_6701.GIF.8d6363b5e3cd406c6b28157f6ff43363.GIF

Low topped CB's visible around down here...

Looking at radar ... tis a nice homage to how this pattern f'ed summer enthusiasts out of a swoon ending... Only to vacate once the penis-butt inspector commences his routine for winter folk soon enough.

heh...seriously, in another month these are grapple in the cores down this way with easily 'chutes' up there 2,000+  A month after that? virga smeared nimbi with squalls and bursty flurries...  It's unusual but... the schits been on the wall for this since May really -   :axe:

18 hours ago, powderfreak said:

MPV... -5.3

BTV... -5.4

MMNV1... -6.1

MVL... -7.0

1V4... -7.7

-4.9 at my place.  The 11 days Aug. 24 thru Sept. 3 ran -8.7, quite the BN streak for this time of year.  Just a tenth or two BN since then.

5 hours ago, tamarack said:

-4.9 at my place.  The 11 days Aug. 24 thru Sept. 3 ran -8.7, quite the BN streak for this time of year.  Just a tenth or two BN since then.

That's crazy when you are getting 11 days of -8.7 this time of year when the larger departures are hard to come by.  -2 to -4 is big this time of year for any period of time, much less the widespread -6 to -8 that's been happening.

Getting excited for winter but that may be the Sip of Sunshine and Heady Topper talking.  Went out to see a friend play music at the always-packed local pizza place and it was raining steadily when we went in and pouring when we came out a couple hours later. 

Upslope rain sucks because its rain, and who needs constant rains?...but once we get into the fall months, you can't help but start imagining the upslope snowfalls that should be coming.  The band playing as part of Stowe Jazz Fest was called "The Upslopers."  This town is obsessed with upslope, haha.  The skiers know where the white gold comes from.

Stowe Hollow leading the way with 0.64"... can't wait for November when this set-up might be good advisory snows.

*Mansfield's Chin is causing a cool mesoscale break in the precip.

September_8.gif.b75180d85992367e626f3ad3f4b20075.gif

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Getting excited for winter but that may be the Sip of Sunshine and Heady Topper talking.  Went out to see a friend play music at the always-packed local pizza place and it was raining steadily when we went in and pouring when we came out a couple hours later. 

Upslope rain sucks because its rain, and who needs constant rains?...but once we get into the fall months, you can't help but start imagining the upslope snowfalls that should be coming.  The band playing as part of Stowe Jazz Fest was called "The Upslopers."  This town is obsessed with upslope, haha.  The skiers know where the white gold comes from.

Stowe Hollow leading the way with 0.64"... can't wait for November when this set-up might be good advisory snows.

:cry:

As Irma churns 1000's of miles away, we sit here at the start of a true COC fall weekend.  Today's progged high of 62* sounds awesome. 

Regardless of our 'glad we don't live there' comments, we are really fortunate to be where we are.  We are overwhelmingly spared of all types of extreme weather.  Tropics and extreme severe are rare.  Instead, we get to excitedly clamor for our monster snow storms (and minor ones!).  While the worst of those can bring some damage (and worse for some drivers), they are by and large benign.

Glad we live here.

49.8 vs. 48.8

September_8.gif.b75180d85992367e626f3ad3f4b20075.gif

Heading to Stowe mountain Lodge for two nights end of month. Good restaurant suggestions? Any open on the mountain?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Archived