Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a relatively frigid August (no, not actually frigid DIT, just relative to normal) as I'm looking at the numbers now.

As usual BTV sticks out like a sore thumb in the northern Vermont main climo sites relative to normal...but my local rule worked quite well again, with an average of around 3F in departures between BTV and the mountain valley sites.  If BTV is having a near normal month, the others will be around -3.

August departures

BTV...+0.6

MPV...-2.5

MVL...-3.0

1V4...-3.1

That's a crisp summer month when you start getting -2.5 to -3 type departures for a month when there's less deviation from normal than the winter months.

Just now, dendrite said:

Earliest "40s" in awhile. 49.9F and the wind has been near calm for a half hour.

Are you clear?

We are calm but still stuck with NW flow overcast skies.

Funny that MVL/BML/HIE are all still OVC060 with temps in the low-50s.  Not getting the big sunset drop that we do with CLR skies when you lose like 8-10F in an hour.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...totally clear. Should manage 30s easily.

I was just looping the visible before sunset and I'm a little worried about the clouds up here....that stuff really hadn't changed at all this afternoon and now evening.  Just locked into N.VT/N.NH/N.ME with the NW flow.

It should be pulling northeast but we will be starting a bit behind.  BML/HIE area may be the last to clear out. 

There are plenty of examples of fall mornings though when the areas SE of the mountains actually end up colder than to the north where the temps aloft are cooler, just because of the stratus taking forever to clear.  It may have been last fall (definitely in the past two years) but I remember we had a frost advisory, along with northern tier of NY/VT/NH/ME but the coldest temps and frost/freeze ended up in the HubbDave area up through Lakes Region and Maine foothills.  All areas that weren't in the frost advisory were low to mid 30s, while the advisory area could barely get below 40F.

12 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah...totally clear. Should manage 30s easily.

Winds are gusty here. Must be lakemixing. Down to 53. But man it dropped 10F from Andover. Another world. 

Drive sucked. Crying baby and traffic. We double are normal time. Never seen Town Docks empty on a Friday outdoors!

With MET summer over, here are the northern Vermont ASOS departures. 

How do other areas of New England compare?  If you have local data it would be interesting to see how this summer stacks up.

East of the Green Mtn Spine it was quite the coolest summer in quite a while relative to normal.  As usual, BTV is an island of its own.  The majority of the differences are related to overnight lows, especially July and August, the best radiators had the lowest departures (even though that is built into their climo normal already) as we had so many low dew air masses and drier/clear weather that led to ideal conditions most nights.

SummerDepartures.jpg.fe45e6da12ce8f648df87b04c078ba13.jpg

*BTV and 1V4 both have the longest periods of record by far, dating back to the 1800s.  MPV started in the 1950s or 60s I think, and MVL was 1980s and just recently was able to develop a 30-year normal.

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

With MET summer over, here are the northern Vermont ASOS departures. 

How do other areas of New England compare?  If you have local data it would be interesting to see how this summer stacks up.

East of the Green Mtn Spine it was quite the coolest summer in quite a while relative to normal.  As usual, BTV is an island of its own.  The majority of the differences are related to overnight lows, especially July and August, the best radiators had the lowest departures (even though that is built into their climo normal already) as we had so many low dew air masses and drier/clear weather that led to ideal conditions most nights.

SummerDepartures.jpg.fe45e6da12ce8f648df87b04c078ba13.jpg

*BTV and 1V4 both have the longest periods of record by far, dating back to the 1800s.  MPV started in the 1950s or 60s I think, and MVL was 1980s and just recently was able to develop a 30-year normal.

Love that trend line--keep it going.

Bottomed out at 40.9. 

Dipped below freezing this morning, so this weekend really does seem to portray the end of summer. 30.7 for a low. Interestingly, we had an earlier frost last year, but didn't hit 32 till Sep 12, and 28 till Sep 26th, so we're several weeks ahead of that. Also, was interesting to note that our hottest days this summer were in early summer: May 17 (89.6F) and June 12.  (88). From June 21st on, the highest recorded temp was 83.8F

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Dipped below freezing this morning, so this weekend really does seem to portray the end of summer. 30.7 for a low. Interestingly, we had an earlier frost last year, but didn't hit 32 till Sep 12, and 28 till Sep 26th, so we're several weeks ahead of that. Also, was interesting to note that our hottest days this summer were in early summer: May 17 (89.6F) and June 12.  (88). From June 21st on, the highest recorded temp was 83.8F

we've got a winner, here.  Congrats.

Archived