Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter & General Discussion/Observations

CapturedNature

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was wondering because we had a min of 33F at 4kft....now up to 35F but there was a thick above freezing layer to get flakes even to 2,500ft.

Guess dry air could do it.

I'm sure it wasn't pretty, whatever it was. MWN had the SG this morning, so there were ice crystals to be had. 

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

until persistence knocks over... this is 1995 autumn to me.. 

We'll get dying frets of heat ...but latitudes that flip onto the polarward side of the westerlies are going to be (similarly) hopeless to go back. 

That was 1995 incarnate.  

how wsx the following winter?

7 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I don't rule it out, that place is a different world. I was in the HIE area two weekends ago and that felt far away. And Pittsburg is still like 50 miles north of there.

They tend to track pretty similarly to here at the ski resort base.  The climate is very similar from what I've seen in terms of temps. 

27 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It likely was mangled crap flakes as Chris said.

This time of year even graupel counts as snow.  I could see it in a very light shower with dry air under the cloud bases.  

The sky here definitely had that snow grains look to it...like you half expected some small mostly evaporated pellets or something to fall. 

It's an anomalously cool air mass ...  Ha, the way this summer has unfolded with that persistence thing, it's not even clear if this is actually 'early' or just inevitable relative to. 

But it is early of course... This is a shot across the bow with panache and stank put on it. 

Get a load of the 12z GFS transitioning Irma into a full on CCB pasty cake snow bomb for the lower Maritimes....  I'm like, whaaaa -   the fact that any snow happened last night now the models has that. i mean holy schit 

Very winter like day with high winds gusting over 50mph out of the NW putting the Gondola on Wind Hold.  Wind hold is almost unheard of in the warmer season operations but today's CAA push has mixed down some strong winds.  Sustained NW flow at 30-50kts is hard to get in the warm season.

First time wearing hats and gloves this season...everyone out in their winter gear above 2,000ft.  

Funny how say mid-30s with wind chills in the 20s feels like Siberia this time of year.  Where in March, 37F on the mountain islike t-shirt weather in the sun.

3 hours ago, OceanStWx said:

Glad I hiked Katahdin last weekend...

Probably would want crampons today. 
Not too unusual for there.  When I hiked the Knife Edge (Aug. 6, 1973) I met a family who had been there the same week in 1972, and had to do most of their walking a few yards down on the south side, to avoid the windblown sleet.

3 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This time of year even graupel counts as snow.  I could see it in a very light shower with dry air under the cloud bases.  

The sky here definitely had that snow grains look to it...like you half expected some small mostly evaporated pellets or something to fall. 

Is the picnic table cam turned on?

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Probably would want crampons today. 
Not too unusual for there.  When I hiked the Knife Edge (Aug. 6, 1973) I met a family who had been there the same week in 1972, and had to do most of their walking a few yards down on the south side, to avoid the windblown sleet.

It was probably 45ish when I went up two weekends ago. I'd say a good 15ish degrees colder today, not to mention socked in with clouds.

Honestly even a mid 50s day on the summit might've felt awfully hot after that hike.

1 minute ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Wish I had!  It's cold here at Baxter today.  Wind was almost producing whitecaps on Basin Ponds

As grueling as it can be, safe to say I'm hooked now. Both on Baxter and getting into that 4000 footer list. I'm trying to think of which to hit next, and something that maybe my wife wouldn't hate. The Osceolas sound decent and could be nice as the foliage turns.

Just now, OceanStWx said:

As grueling as it can be, safe to say I'm hooked now. Both on Baxter and getting into that 4000 footer list. I'm trying to think of which to hit next, and something that maybe my wife wouldn't hate. The Osceolas sound decent and could be nice as the foliage turns.

Baxter will spoil you - nothing in the Whites compares.  As for the 48, I'm not into the list.  A fair number of them offer no views, and I'm kinda a view snob.  Many sub-4k peaks are much better in that department.  I'd suggest taking the mrs to Chocorua up the Champney Falls Trail.  Not a 4k, but fairly easy grades and stupendous views.  If she isn't hooked then, let her go.  LOL!

Just now, MaineJayhawk said:

Baxter will spoil you - nothing in the Whites compares.  As for the 48, I'm not into the list.  A fair number of them offer no views, and I'm kinda a view snob.  Many sub-4k peaks are much better in that department.  I'd suggest taking the mrs to Chocorua up the Champney Falls Trail.  Not a 4k, but fairly easy grades and stupendous views.  If she isn't hooked then, let her go.  LOL!

I am in it for the views myself, but now that I have gotten that list into my head it will gnaw at me if I don't complete it. I think the prospect of a relatively short (distance and height) Chocorua would be an easy sell though.

4 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

For Maine 4Ks outside of Baxter that offer views, I'd cite Bigelow, Sugarloaf, Abraham, and Saddleback including the Horn.  The others are pretty fuzzy on top.

Archived