ChicagoGuy
September Banter Thread

George BM

• WxUSAF pinned this topic
  • Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

So I checked out the main tropical thread for the first time tonight. And the biggest topic of discussion for a while is why it is ridiculous that they aren't doing 4 thousand mile round trip recon missions yet because Irma might hit the US in 12 days or so. 

It's truly comical. Have to weave through the crap to get any type of analysis 

49 minutes ago, MillvilleWx said:

It's truly comical. Have to weave through the crap to get any type of analysis 

Not long before the "La, la, la, we choose to ignore that thing about range and fuel limits" portion of the proceedings there was "Joe Bastardi is declaring a Cat 5 hit and this isn't being said publicly by any other met from the local weatherman to the NHC because they all are horrible at telling the public what they need to know."

I know the ignore button exists...

It's too damned BAD we get to experience the remnants of Harvey as a secondhand coastal low.

We'll be lucky to eke out a quarter of an inch of rain, or probably get none at all. Energy transfers work out for us about .000000000001 percent of the time. This one wont work out for us either.

All those unfortunates who got waterboarded so bad by Harveys rains should move here to Dale City. No one who lived in Dale City ever got flooded out since the middle 1800s. Not even the WORST of Climate Change will ever alter that.

We dont get strong winds or extreme rains here. There's a reason population is going up 3000 percent every 5 years here.

Everyone knows the Washington Metropolitan Region is THE safest place to live in the country.

It's too damned BAD we get to experience the remnants of Harvey as a secondhand coastal low.

We'll be lucky to eke out a quarter of an inch of rain, or probably get none at all. Energy transfers work out for us about .000000000001 percent of the time. This one wont work out for us either.

All those unfortunates who got waterboarded so bad by Harveys rains should move here to Dale City. No one who lived in Dale City ever got flooded out since the middle 1800s. Not even the WORST of Climate Change will ever alter that.

We dont get strong winds or extreme rains here. There's a reason population is going up 3000 percent every 5 years here.

Everyone knows the Washington Metropolitan Region is THE safest place to live in the country.

Go check the tropical thread.

Hope this isn't the time it is right. Home owner living under a 120 year old oak in a neighborhood full of mature trees. And along a creek. So I guess I dont share the hope for that kind of pain. I've been through a direct hit tornado (Nashville 1998) to my home and neighborhood and the direct line wind awfulness of "Elvis" in Memphis with more tree damage not to mention 10 days without power each time. Not to mention the derecho around here.

I'm far from the moral police, nothing we do affects weather as we talk about it, but I hope that kind of scenario doesn't happen while I live around here. The misery and devastation of southeast Texas right now...I don't want that. 

1 hour ago, North Balti Zen said:

Hope this isn't the time it is right. Home owner living under a 120 year old oak in a neighborhood full of mature trees. And along a creek. So I guess I dont share the hope for that kind of pain. I've been through a direct hit tornado (Nashville 1998) to my home and neighborhood and the direct line wind awfulness of "Elvis" in Memphis with more tree damage not to mention 10 days without power each time. Not to mention the derecho around here.

I'm far from the moral police, nothing we do affects weather as we talk about it, but I hope that kind of scenario doesn't happen while I live around here. The misery and devastation of southeast Texas right now...I don't want that. 

Come onnnnn, take one for the team ;) 

16 minutes ago, mappy said:

Come onnnnn, take one for the team ;) 

Yeah, no...Nashville in 1998, my part of the neighborhood was cordoned off, we received Salvation Army supplies and food, and then VP Gore landed and addressed people about a half a mile from my house. Wind damage and water damage? I've done that, and am full up for one lifetime.

In any event, I know the chances are small, and I get the thrill of the model chase, but, yeah, not so much for me, thanks, if that were to be reality.

1 minute ago, North Balti Zen said:

Yeah, no...Nashville in 1998, my part of the neighborhood was cordoned off, we received Salvation Army supplies and food, and then VP Gore landed and addressed people about a half a mile from my house. Wind damage and water damage? I've done that, and am full up for one lifetime.

In any event, I know the chances are small, and I get the thrill of the model chase, but, yeah, not so much for me, thanks, if that were to be reality.

I was kidding, friend. Wouldn't wish that on anyone. Besides, we know damn well the chances of a hurricane straight up the bay, are tiny. 

8 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Yeah, the main tropical thread on Irma has convinced me that subforums are the way to go for even tropical discussion. 

Gave up on the main thread after wading through it during Harvey. Did glance quickly early this morning and decided I made a wise decision on staying out of the thread and staying regional.

I find that if you treat it as a source of info, such as the Cat 6 blog on Wunderground or the tropical weather subreddit on Reddit (shoutout some posters here who post there) and not gospel, it's totally fine. Each has a variety of talented posters who know what they are doing, and others who don't. Just gotta dig around a little bit. I don't like avoiding potential areas of info, but maybe that's just me.

2 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I find that if you treat it as a source of info, such as the Cat 6 blog on Wunderground or the tropical weather subreddit on Reddit (shoutout some posters here who post there) and not gospel, it's totally fine. Each has a variety of talented posters who know what they are doing, and others who don't. Just gotta dig around a little bit. I don't like avoiding potential areas of info, but maybe that's just me.

I totally agree. The only problem I'm finding in the main thread here is there is constant skeet shooting of exceptionally bad posts making the good ones too hard to find. I'd love a dedicated red tag thread that is read only for the rest of us. Sure, it may be a slow posting thread but every single post would be worth reading. 

I totally agree. The only problem I'm finding in the main thread here is there is constant skeet shooting of exceptionally bad posts making the good ones too hard to find. I'd love a dedicated red tag thread that is read only for the rest of us. Sure, it may be a slow posting thread but every single post would be worth reading. 

Certainly wouldn't mind a filtered forum, but as you noted, a red tag only would exclude people like you or WW07, who certainly have things to contribute. And honestly, I feel that I've learned by making mistakes by posting incorrect things and learning to stay quiet. Heck, just yesterday I called the GFS a fish too early.

But yeah, I agree. Getting long-winded. Certainly wouldn't mind a "qualified posters only" discussion along with a more casual one.

6 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Certainly wouldn't mind a filtered forum, but as you noted, a red tag only would exclude people like you or WW07, who certainly have things to contribute. And honestly, I feel that I've learned by making mistakes by posting incorrect things and learning to stay quiet. Heck, just yesterday I called the GFS a fish too early.

But yeah, I agree. Getting long-winded. Certainly wouldn't mind a "qualified posters only" discussion along with a more casual one.

I like staying in the MA subforum because for me it's always backyard sport. I don't think there shouldn't be free for all thread in tropical. Everyone should be able to participate. But it would be really nice for a clean consolidated thread of just mets. It would probably encourage more to participate. The way the main thread operates I can hardly blame any met for not wanting to participate. 

Outside of a few hours looking thru the main Harvey thread Sunday, I stay right here.  Backyard sport it is. Learned that years ago before subgroups, following EURO PBP that meant little or nothing to me in my region. Some guy from Boston would scream it was showing a huge East Coast snow storm, but what he really meant was from New Jersey through New England. That would drive me nuts. 

There are lots of contributors, just tossed out two names off the top of my head. Yoda and EJ have been doing excellent work in there as well, sure others here have done good work there. I'm on a plane right now, I certainty appreciate Yoda's play-by-play at the moment. I fully agree with the above post, and I don't want to clog up the banter thread anymore.

In random news I had a dream early yesterday morning of a strong gust front from a line of severe thunderstorms moving to the SE at 50 mph. There were several dusty gustnadoes along the gust front with a black shelf overhead. When it passed I found out that the main line of storms to the northwest had gusted out and we're fizzling out.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived