Even if the winter blows
I'm just a weather troll

So come on baby, get in
Get in, just get in
Check out the 384 GFS

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week I won tickets on the radio for the Doobie Brothers tonight at the Great Frederick Fair and since we are off work today, we decided to make a day of it. Finished a hike up Black Rock and Annapolis Rocks and now sitting in the Flying Dog Brewery. We will hang out here until we cool off and then hit up the fairgrounds.

As always, life is good. And the nitro Fear is making it better.

IMG_0434.thumb.JPG.488fd76a6709c7f57eb4ef9664a76400.JPG

So our friends in San Juan texted back that they are ok-- no damage to their specific apartment unit. But, of course, they don't have electricity and water. They both graduated from UMD grad school, have plenty of friends still in this area, and could easily stay with any one of the friends for free, if they wanted to leave the island for awhile. I can't imagine staying put in an apartment in the tropics with two youngish kids, no electricity, no water, and no timetable for the electricity or water to come back. :(

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Winter makes us crazy. Most of us love winter more than tropical, and love makes us blind :P 

I love tropical impacts but it's so rare that getting invested on the regular isn't feasible. Sorta like the deep south and winter storms. They get a shot every few years but they certainly don't track winter storms on a regular basis. We almost always get at least some snow in the winter so it's a more rewarding game to play. 

18 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I love tropical impacts but it's so rare that getting invested on the regular isn't feasible. Sorta like the deep south and winter storms. They get a shot every few years but they certainly don't track winter storms on a regular basis. We almost always get at least some snow in the winter so it's a more rewarding game to play. 

Now you've gone and done it. No snow this winter. 

On 9/21/2017 at 1:10 PM, George BM said:

The College Park Tornado occurred on September 24th, 2001.

Ugh. I can't even blame this one on a typo. I remember the day and the event so clearly, but I can't get the date frickin' right. 

The 21st has so much significance to me -- it's my birthday date, my anniversary date, the date my daughter was born (not all the same month of course) -- so I guess that's my excuse.    

6 minutes ago, 09-10 analogy said:

Ugh. I can't even blame this one on a typo. I remember the day and the event so clearly, but I can't get the date frickin' right. 

The 21st has so much significance to me -- it's my birthday date, my anniversary date, the date my daughter was born (not all the same month of course) -- so I guess that's my excuse.    

Happy birthday and/or Anniversary to you and/or whoever!

On 9/20/2017 at 6:56 PM, Bob Chill said:

I think I figured out why the main trop thread gets on my nerves so much. It seems that some believe the more they post the higher their cred or expertise is. But in reality they simply talk too much. Pretty much the same as a good bs artist. 

:o

4 hours ago, gymengineer said:

Whoever said it was right: We're much more restrained in our model analysis for tropical stuff vs. winter stuff. There's much less of the posting/commenting on individual ensemble members, which this 12Z GFS ensemble suite sure had a few interesting ones of... 

3 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Winter makes us crazy. Most of us love winter more than tropical, and love makes us blind :P 

3 hours ago, H2O said:

i said it and I was right.  

If you are all done patting yourselves on the back I have one thing to say to you.

WINTER RULES!!!!

p.s. I don't think the posters in the main tropical thread got the memo on how restrained they are. ;) 

Why would anyone, let alone a long time contributor, quote a post from more than a day ago (by harveyleonardfan, of all people) in order to self congratulate himself?

Edited to add: It just got removed, along with the negative reaction to the post. But it was a doozie. Basically a praise of his own estimate of 130 mph landfall on PR because HarveyLeonardfan supported his view by concluding it must have been a Cat 3 landfall.

8 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

Why would anyone, let alone a long time contributor, quote a post from more than a day ago (by harveyleonardfan, of all people) in order to self congratulate himself?

Edited to add: It just got removed, along with the negative reaction to the post. But it was a doozie. Basically a praise of his own estimate of 130 mph landfall on PR because HarveyLeonardfan supported his view by concluding it must have been a Cat 3 landfall.

I see nothing wrong with that honestly. 

10 minutes ago, gymengineer said:

For me, it's the dive bomb quality that makes no sense. Not contributing to the active thread except to boast. But even when doing that, quoting from a poster with no credibility.

I thought you said they were a regular contributor?  I didn't see it, so I'm not one to judge.  I'm sure you've seen how I don't like seeing people getting called out so much.  Your comment made me feel like it wasn't so extreme.  I don't have a say.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived