Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Yep. Told him if all he ever does is pop in to deliver bad news it's unnecessary, we have plenty to do that here already. 

I just want to see posts more realistic, though I could definitely do a better job with that too.

1 hour ago, BTRWx said:

I just want to see posts more realistic, though I could definitely do a better job with that too.

He came off as always acting like he had to tell us things were going bad. We have plenty of good posters in here. We knew. It would be more acceptable if he showed up during a win also but he only ever seems to be around when things are going wrong. 

^ looks great man! I know what it takes to keep the grounds manicured. You've spent some good time + blood and sweat back there. Nice work!

I need to take a picture of the fire pit and patio I built in my woods. I planted 2 dwarf pampas 3 years ago in front of the patio where it gets good afternoon sun. They look fantastic this year with their seed stalks in full bloom. First year they've looked full and mature. Such a nice and relaxing plant to watch when it's breezy. 

2 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

^ looks great man! I know what it takes to keep the grounds manicured. You've spent some good time + blood and sweat back there. Nice work!

I need to take a picture of the fire pit and patio I built in my woods. I planted 2 dwarf pampas 3 years ago in front of the patio where it gets good afternoon sun. They look fantastic this year with their seed stalks in full bloom. First year they've looked full and mature. Such a nice and relaxing plant to watch when it's breezy. 

Thanks! It does take a lot of work but working in the yard is so rewarding. Even in my little domicile, I enjoy watching the seasons change and being outside is part of that. You should definitely take a shot of the fire pit. I could look at other people's work all day.

And regarding the pampas that you planted, I know what you mean. You can see the big stump left from the birch that I had removed in the spring, but right next to it is a new winterberry hawthorn. In a few years that should be beautiful, especially in the winter.

And if MNtransplant sees that photo, he's going to scold me for letting the pole beans climb up near the opening of the Cocorahs rain gauge.

I finally gave in and reseeded a few weeks ago. I basically had given up the last few years with all the trees, the moles, moss, and silty/sandy soil conspiring against a decent lawn. Got tired of looking at moss, thatch, dirt, and tons of dandelions though. I had been reducing the lawn area with mulched flower and plant beds. Can only go so far with that though. I found a local, and expensive (blend of 5 different) turf type tall fescues that apparently works well around here in sun and shade, and is drought tolerant. So far so good. I have another section I want to get done before fall sets in. We will see how its doing come next July.

5 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I finally gave in and reseeded a few weeks ago. I basically had given up the last few years with all the trees, the moles, moss, and silty/sandy soil conspiring against a decent lawn. Got tired of looking at moss, thatch, dirt, and tons of dandelions though. I had been reducing the lawn area with mulched flower and plant beds. Can only go so far with that though. I found a local, and expensive (blend of 5 different) turf type tall fescues that apparently works well around here in sun and shade, and is drought tolerant. So far so good. I have another section I want to get done before fall sets in. We will see how its doing come next July.

With sandy soil, moles, and eastern shore heat and humidity, you're battling a different war than me. I'm curious of the seed blend, though it's likely I haven't heard of it. I've used Pennington and Rebels in the past, but I might look into a sod farm nearby to see if they have what they grow called Duramax tall fescue. I had my sewer line replaced in the front yard this spring and covered the scar with their sod and it's been great. My front yard is pretty shady so there's a different area that needs some work. If they have the seed I'll go with that and overseed the whole front.

Just now, nw baltimore wx said:

With sandy soil, moles, and eastern shore heat and humidity, you're battling a different war than me. I'm curious of the seed blend, though it's likely I haven't heard of it. I've used Pennington and Rebels in the past, but I might look into a sod farm nearby to see if they have what they grow called Duramax tall fescue. I had my sewer line replaced in the front yard this spring and covered the scar with their sod and it's been great. My front yard is pretty shady so there's a different area that needs some work. If they have the seed I'll go with that and overseed the whole front.

I would have to look on the bag. It came from Talbot Ag, and its called Shore Supreme. Years ago when I first built the house I used Black Beauty from Jonathon Greene, mainly because its super green and does well in shade(I am totally in the woods here). My lawn looked super green and lush for a couple years, but given the conditions I described, it did not hold up over time. It is a 3 fescue blend. Burned up on the sunny side of my yard unless it was unusually wet in mid to late summer, and the moss took over in the shade areas.

2 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I'm hoping to be like y'all one day with these beautiful yards. 

They have their benefits for sure. We bought our house specifically due to the yard and pool. Inside is outdated but we could update that overtime, but the yard space...it's awesome.

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I want a space where I can

1) put up a wx station 
2) play with the babies

A good yard increases the chances I can get them into football or weather. 

It's wonderful. Put up my station within the first year. Got the kiddo a nice play set. We have tons of space to entertain. Wouldn't change it. 

37 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

^^^^

Looking good! Really glad you're getting a break from watering with the showers today. Not sure if you're on a well, but I had family living over on the shore and I couldn't believe how expensive utilities were, including water.

I am on a well. And that is the septic system drain field in that photo lol. I haven't noticed the utilities being overly expensive here. I did get lucky as it was quite wet leading up to and for the first week or so after seeding, so germination happened quickly. Been watering the past 10 days as it has been pretty dry. Yes got some nice showers today however.

I wish there were some way to get a webcam on PR during the hurricane.

I want to watch those waves dash everything to pieces! I want to lovingly watch that water rise! I want to watch those devastating mudslides! I want to HEAR the ROAR, that hellish ROAR, of Cat 5 winds! There is nothing more satisfying, than getting to watch pieces of sheet metal propelled on 190 mph gusts in a Cat 5 hurricane, smashing thru windows!!!! Absolute destruction is engrossing!

I realize now, with the pattern we have, that I will never get to savor even one drop of tropical rain this season. It was just not meant to be. Late 2017 will be called the Indian Summer With No End in the Mid Atlantic. I'll be dry from now on into late January when I will get much rain while Maryland gets buried alive beneath Day After Tomorrow amounts of wind driven snow.

Its going to go on 82/69 for the next three months in Dale City. We will be in the 80s for highs, and 60s for lows, for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks. That's because we have this unbelievable ridge, that nothing can move, and it will not budge, until about Jan 20 2018, when winter suddenly descends on Dale City with 30s weather and sheets of wind driven rain from noreaster after noreaster. By late Feb I will have had 36 inches of rain spread over weeks, while Maryland and northeast will be buried under incredible amounts of snow, well into April 2018.

What on earth am i going to do while I agonizingly wait for approximately 15 weeks until this damned ridge from Hell finally budges, and I get some cold rain?

6 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Here is my back yard 3 weeks after reseeding. Should have taken a before photo. Can sort of see in the foreground to the right the mossy area I haven't touched yet.

grass.JPG.01c83c51185765ea6f1a11dda5e6b81e.JPG

Love the yard surrounded by trees. Always a fight with the lawn though with the low sun and shade from the trees which I deal with as well. Over the years I found the best blend seemed to be the Penn State blend. Held up well in shade, partial sun and direct sun. Also seemed to tolerate wet springs and dry summers fairly well as well. Not sure how it would handle your soil and climo though.

2 hours ago, showmethesnow said:

Love the yard surrounded by trees. Always a fight with the lawn though with the low sun and shade from the trees which I deal with as well. Over the years I found the best blend seemed to be the Penn State blend. Held up well in shade, partial sun and direct sun. Also seemed to tolerate wet springs and dry summers fairly well as well. Not sure how it would handle your soil and climo though.

That sounds a lot like the blend I am using now. In general a turf type tall fescue blend does well in much of the MA. Soil is a well drained silt/sand loam here. Slightly acidic. Glad to have it because its suitable for growing a variety of plants, and a lot of places on the mid and upper shore have more of a heavy clay/silt soil. That stuff does not drain well. Thats why you see water lying on the surface in places during rainy periods, especially in wintertime. Water table has broken the surface.

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

With the honeybee crisis my goal is to let anything grow and not bother with all these damn lawn fertilizers.  Let the clover go nuts.  

I felt a little guilty killing off my dandelion farm before reseeding. They always come back though. Very versatile- the whole plant is useful and healthy. But they are ugly af when they take over your yard as the grass has withered in the dry heat. They get huge.

7 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

I felt a little guilty killing off my dandelion farm before reseeding. They always come back though. Very versatile- the whole plant is useful and healthy. But they are ugly af when they take over your yard as the grass has withered in the dry heat. They get huge.

Dandelions I will go and dig up by hand.  Crabgrass i let go.  Its green, it has grass in the name and its better than other weeds

we have a ton of clover in the yard too, that we do nothing about.

i do however have a massive black eyed susan population of flowers around my deck. i guess the last few years we kept pulling them as they came up, not realizing what they were. this year we didn't and they have taken over. very pretty, but a bit overgrown. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived