Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Banter Thread

George BM

• Replies 716
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

Just wait until they turn, oh, say 13!  No more laughter at corny jokes, just an embarrassed roll of the eyes (ask me how I know, hahaha!)!

oh but thats when the fun starts.  Make them the worst jokes ever and watch them cringe.  especially out in public.

1 minute ago, H2O said:

oh but thats when the fun starts.  Make them the worst jokes ever and watch them cringe.  especially out in public.

Heh!  Yeah, I usually just snarkily reply that it's my job as a parent to embarrass her with stupid jokes now and then...just like it was my parents' job to do the same to me...and on and on every generation!

Why do some authorities preemptively cut electricity, and even cell service before major storms? 

I presume to prevent damage to infrastructure and save $ in fuse expenses, but it just seems rude to do to your people who are about to get slammed hours beforehand. If it's that dire the infrastructure is going to get shredded anyways.  I think that it's also so the Darwinians won't electrocute themselves, but then that is offset by some not being able to call 911, or get emergency info. Maybe power can be restored sooner, but we have all been in major storms where we thought we would lose power, yet amazing, we didn't.  Would you want your power cut a few hours before the next big storm hits your backyard?  Hell no.  Seeing how long power holds on is part of the fun living in our vast array of largely above ground electrical service.

Electricity is our link to the outside world. We are seeing videos from St Martens starting to take it on the chin, and maybe those videos broadcast will save lives later as others see damn, they got flooded and it didn't even start raining. Let's bug out.

End Rant.

4 minutes ago, RandyHolt said:

Why do some authorities preemptively cut electricity, and even cell service before major storms? 

I presume to prevent damage to infrastructure and save $ in fuse expenses, but it just seems rude to do to your people who are about to get slammed hours beforehand. If it's that dire the infrastructure is going to get shredded anyways.  I think that it's also so the Darwinians won't electrocute themselves, but then that is offset by some not being able to call 911, or get emergency info. Maybe power can be restored sooner, but we have all been in major storms where we thought we would lose power, yet amazing, we didn't.  Would you want your power cut a few hours before the next big storm hits your backyard?  Hell no.  Seeing how long power holds on is part of the fun living in our vast array of largely above ground electrical service.

Electricity is our link to the outside world. We are seeing videos from St Martens starting to take it on the chin, and maybe those videos broadcast will save lives later as others see damn, they got flooded and it didn't even start raining. Let's bug out.

End Rant.

Those small islands are pretty unique compared to here.  I mean, you are only talking about 10s of thousands of people in most cases.  I lived in Vieques, PR for almost 2 years and not only would they shut down the power, they would also cut water off as well from the main island.  It was my understanding that with potential for live wires to be down and that their infrastrure is not comparable to ours, it makes clean up both safer and cheaper.  I think emergency officials are not worried about being rude when it comes to safety.

2 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Moron. More money than sense in this case.

My first thought was the taped up windows and the beds next to those windows...

I rode out a typhoon and had to jump over the back of a couch, when the slider door glass suddenly flexed and bowed into the room. Scary sh*t!

1 hour ago, MiddleRvrwx said:

My first thought was the taped up windows and the beds next to those windows...

I rode out a typhoon and had to jump over the back of a couch, when the slider door glass suddenly flexed and bowed into the room. Scary sh*t!

Exactly my thinking re: the windows. Crazy.

This from a new poster making their first post in the main thread on the tropics forum is either an exquisite troll or performance art:

Newbie here.  My first post actually.   I appreciate all of the knowledge that I've come across during Harvey and now Irma.

I was on another message board and someone said: 

"The biggest danger would be if Jose overtakes Irma and the two combine into one big hurricane. It would likely be around a Category 8. Not 10 as both storms would lose some efficiency."

Is this a potential outcome?  If so, how likely?

Thank you.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived