Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Disco/Obs Thread

George BM

2 minutes ago, EastCoast NPZ said:

The shorter days make it somewhat more bearable, but still....  Shouldn't have to worry about 7+ days straight of mid-upper 80s this time of year.  Just terrible.  But, I knew when we were basking in upper 60s 2 weeks ago that we were going to pay dearly for it.

86 is the highest forecast temp for here, with mostly low 60s at night. Yeah the shorter days/lower sun help. As long as the dews stay relatively low this is fine for late September. I don't want this in another 3 weeks though.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
40 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

It's just too warm matty. Awful may have been too harsh. How about a little bit more uncomfortable than I would like for this time of year? Getting dry out there also. I don't think there is a rain drop it in the forecast for the next 10 days. 

After trying and failing to get some grass going in parts of my yard, I hired a company for a reasonable rate that came out and did the aeration/overseeding thing on Tuesday.  Of course it isn't going to rain again in Sept.

1 hour ago, Stormpc said:

It's just too warm matty. Awful may have been too harsh. How about a little bit more uncomfortable than I would like for this time of year? Getting dry out there also. I don't think there is a rain drop it in the forecast for the next 10 days. 

And I probably shouldn't have said you're take was "dumb." I get it though - it's a bit much for some people at this point, and that's fair enough!

1 hour ago, MN Transplant said:

After trying and failing to get some grass going in parts of my yard, I hired a company for a reasonable rate that came out and did the aeration/overseeding thing on Tuesday.  Of course it isn't going to rain again in Sept.

Same here, except I did the aeration and seeding myself (see the lawn thread). Problem is that I have some seriously thin (i.e. bald) patches where the broadleaf weeds were recently zapped by the lawn service, so it's almost like I'm completely re-seeding. I'm not worried about birds since it's the coated Scott's seed, but I have to get some straw down this weekend to make sure the seed doesn't wash away with any rain we may get and/or too much watering on my part.

1 minute ago, MN Transplant said:

It has been warm mid-day, but for those of us with inside jobs the temps haven't been bad in the morning or evenings.  A nice climo 77/60 would be excellent though.  

ha, tell that to my husband. his building has had the heat running. he had to leave early yesterday because it was 86 in his office. guess the a/c is broken, or was shut off for the year. 

1 minute ago, mappy said:

ha, tell that to my husband. his building has had the heat running. he had to leave early yesterday because it was 86 in his office. guess the a/c is broken, or was shut off for the year. 

Anyone who would shut off the AC in mid-Sept in the DC region is insane.  86 is nasty in a stale office.

End of next week looking beautiful.  Bought a new gas fire pit yesterday that I can't wait to sit around on a cool evening and enjoy some fall brews.  Anxious to use it next Friday.  Until then, miserable.  

Did not mow last week, and won't be mowing this week either it looks like.  Prone areas of the yard are browning rapidly.  A lot of leaf drop occurring locally.  I assume it's due to the drought forming here.  3.5" in the last 8 weeks, and not a drop in sight.

On 9/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, EastCoast NPZ said:

The shorter days make it somewhat more bearable, but still....  Shouldn't have to worry about 7+ days straight of mid-upper 80s this time of year.  Just terrible.  But, I knew when we were basking in upper 60s 2 weeks ago that we were going to pay dearly for it.

KOKV hasn’t had a temp above 82 since Aug 22.

This weather is perfect for growing grass. Even though its gotten dry here the past couple weeks, it was super wet before that when I started putting down seed, and now I can do controlled watering. Had that deluge a couple weeks back that came at a bad time- moved the ungerminated seed all over the place. I have overseeded since then, and its all looking good now. I have one more area to do, and hoping for no heavy rain for another week so I can get the seed germinated by watering. Need to get that established before the leaves start coming down.

31 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

This weather is perfect for growing grass. Even though its gotten dry here the past couple weeks, it was super wet before that when I started putting down seed, and now I can do controlled watering. Had that deluge a couple weeks back that came at a bad time- moved the ungerminated seed all over the place. I have overseeded since then, and its all looking good now. I have one more area to do, and hoping for no heavy rain for another week so I can get the seed germinated by watering. Need to get that established before the leaves start coming down.

Just a little advice from someone who does know a little about growing grass (if not much of anything else, lol)......mow that new grass about every 3 days.  Mowing grass makes it grow faster and that’s what you need when trying to establish it early.

Just now, WinterWxLuvr said:

Just a little advice from someone who does know a little about growing grass (if not much of anything else, lol)......mow that new grass about every 3 days.  Mowing grass makes it grow faster and that’s what you need when trying to establish it early.

I waited 3 weeks before mowing. Most "experts" said 4-5. It was 3-4 inches, so I mowed after not watering for a couple days. Its been a week since, so I will mow tomorrow. Its filling in nicely.

Just now, C.A.P.E. said:

I waited 3 weeks before mowing. Most "experts" said 4-5. It was 3-4 inches, so I mowed after not watering for a couple days. Its been a week since, so I will mow tomorrow. Its filling in nicely.

My theory has always been let it get 4” high then mow to 3” and then hit about every 3 days for about 6 mowings.  I’ve had good success with that.  Good luck with yours.

16 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

The morning dew is saving us. Did notice some browning in the grass mediums from Manassas thru Gainesville Haymarket and further west this past weekend. Immediate 95 corridor and beltway not so much yet, but suspect only a few days behind. 

It definitely helps. Plenty of soil moisture still, and with the lowered sun angle and fairly lush grass we don't get as much soil evaporation now. I watered my lawn pretty heavily last week, and having not watered this weekend the soil was still fairly moist as of yesterday evening.

31 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I was outside all day yesterday. I realized that 90 in July and 90 in late Sept are 2 very different things. Sun angle is real. 

No question about it. I mentioned how our hot days in mid- to late-September tend to be dry, and with the sun angle that heat feels nothing like it did a couple months ago.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic

Archived