• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Banter 2017 (September, October, November)

Carvers Gap

Labor Day weekend is almost here!!!  On this last day of August just put a pot roast in the crock pot...will cook-up some wild rice, green beans, and dinner rolls for later.  Seemed like a good combo on this rainy, cool last day of August.  This is the anit-August when compared to last year.  Harvey's remnants are slowly movin- in...been a great August.  Hoping fall follows the same path.  The sycamores along the river are already beginning to change.

29 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

NHC has parts of Tennessee in the tropical storm cone. I recommend fully restocking beer coolers and liquor cabinets before Monday Night Football. Temperatures will be OK if a power outage, but we cannot face an adult beverage crisis!

For sure.  After Tennessee's brush w GT last Monday night, those supplies are surely running low....very, very low.

Unfortunately Eric Berry is out for the season with the ruptured Achilles. However I am so thrilled the Chiefs won at New England. I kept dreading a NE come-back; instead, KC pulled ahead. Shock and awe 75 yard touchdowns tend to open up the running game well!

When Irma gets to the Tennessee Valley I am going to give it the finger for causing so much misery and human suffering.

22 hours ago, nrgjeff said:

Hope Houston goes to the WS. Cleveland is better than any AL East vermin. Oh, that NL West looks powerful...

Will be interesting to see if Dodgers can regain any momentum heading into the postseason. If so, I still like them to win the NL. If not, I give the edge to Arizona. Can't count out my Cubs just yet, but this year has been a hell of a disappointment. Injuries and a piss poor bullpen are not great indicators of success. 

My AL pick to start the season was Cleveland, and I think I'll stick with them at this point. Tito is working his magic again.

On 9/17/2017 at 1:20 AM, John1122 said:

Butch must go. Completely clueless inside the 10 yardline today, multiple times. Cost the team the game.

As a neutral observer, I find his ability to call plays sorely lacking. Vols found success with the ground game, yet he leaned on a shaky passing game inside the red zone. 

Guy can recruit but good god he is lacking game management skills. 

I give Butch all the credit in the world for building the Vols back up and recruiting so well the last few years.  He has (and should have) gotten paid well to do this!  That said, he is sorely lacking in the game management department and I always feel like he's playing checkers while the opposing coaches are playing chess.  (though Florida's coach was also playing checkers Saturday).  I think we are seeing what he will always be.  After 5 years, he's a great marketer and recruiter and a VERY mediocre coach.  That's probably not going to get it done at UT.

This zone forecast for Southern Puerto Rico may be the most extreme wind gust forecast you'll ever see.

hurricane conditions expected. Showers and scattered thunderstorms. Highs 82 lower elevations ranging to 74 higher elevations. Northwest winds 125 to 135 mph with gusts to around 190 mph becoming south and decreasing to 95 to 105 mph with gusts to around 150 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 100 percent.

• 2 weeks later...

Eastman Chemical Co. has had a series of powerful explosions at their large Kingsport Plant. Appears to have been a failure or malfunction in the coal gasification facility.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/eastman-chemical-plant-kingsport-tennessee-explosion-reported/

Hopefully no hazardous chemical storage has been compromised or a release of particulates into the atmosphere has occured, but residents have been advised to stay indoors and turn off air conditioning until otherwise cleared.

1 hour ago, Windspeed said:

Eastman Chemical Co. has had a series of powerful explosions at their large Kingsport Plant. Appears to have been a failure or malfunction in the coal gasification facility.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/eastman-chemical-plant-kingsport-tennessee-explosion-reported/

Hopefully no hazardous chemical storage has been compromised or a release of particulates into the atmosphere has occured, but residents have been advised to stay indoors and turn off air conditioning until otherwise cleared.

Just informed that the shelter in place alert in areas surrounding the plant has been lifted except for a 1/2 mile area surrounding the intersection of John B Dennis Highway and Moreland Drive, as well as within all of Eastman Chemical. Thankfully, there was a fire call at 9am inside the plant and Eastman evacuated the area that experienced the explosion around 10am so currently it is believed there have been no injuries. 

City of Kingsport schools which were also under a shelter in place alert have returned to normal activity. 

Edited to add: Interestingly, today is the 57th anniversary of the 1960 explosion inside the plant that claimed the lives of 16 employees.

http://www.timesnews.net/News/2015/08/29/Eastman-safety-expert-details-1960-explosion-1

• 3 weeks later...

Archived