Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

11 hours ago, bluewave said:

U2 actually played the Malibu back in 1981 before they became so famous.

I remember that well, my neighbor didn't stop raving about it for days afterwards. That was a year or so before I started going there because they didn't like my fake id :unsure:

1 hour ago, Dan76 said:

I remember seeing a sign for the stray cats outside J Pauls in oceanside probably 1980ish

I remember that too. I also remember some of the incredible shows the club in Island Park used to get when we first moved to O'side in 1970. Most of the really great stuff, The Doors, Grateful Dead was slightly before that but until ~73 that place killed it.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

I have seen Joan Jett several times around town in Long Beach. She filmed a video a while back on Franklin and the boardwalk.

She used to live in Rockville Center right at the edge of the RVC Country Club. Nice house ;) 

1 hour ago, gravitylover said:

I remember that well, my neighbor didn't stop raving about it for days afterwards. That was a year or so before I started going there because they didn't like my fake id :unsure:

I remember that too. I also remember some of the incredible shows the club in Island Park used to get when we first moved to O'side in 1970. Most of the really great stuff, The Doors, Grateful Dead was slightly before that but until ~73 that place killed it.

She used to live in Rockville Center right at the edge of the RVC Country Club. Nice house ;) 

Speaks island pk  she was off  Demott ave

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Tickling 60 for a couple days in the typical warm areas doesn't really feel like it should count as a torch these days. It's all relative of course and I'm sure the departures are deep enough to qualify, but eh... November is a transition month and we're capable of much warmer, much later.

It’s that whole debate over what a torch is with  some seeing anything above normal as one. 

5 hours ago, bluewave said:

Aerosmith played there in 1980. After Speaks closed down, none of the other clubs in that spot were as good.

http://stubstory.com/aerosmith-on-long-island-1980/

Very few of the old clubs were as successful much later than that either. At that point small shows had transitioned to theaters rather than clubs but there was still a strong bar band scene and very occasionally the bigger bands would show up for those bar shows. 

• Like 1

Nov. 28 to Dec. 21 looks like dead winter meat, that will spoil while hanging on the fence.    Maybe brief normalcy near the 10th.    Looks good thru first week of Jan. after astronomical start of winter though.    Next 7 days meanwhile are averaging 45degs. now, maybe a +1 or +2  to kick off this AN period.

On 11/21/2017 at 8:54 AM, bluewave said:

U2 actually played the Malibu back in 1981 before they became so famous.

you guys are bringing back memories of the GREAT bar days of the mid and late 70's.  Seeing ZEBRA covering ZEPPELIN and mixing in their originals was a  highlight for me at SPEAKS  Does anyone remember Hammerheads,Cheers and Rumrunners.  There was live music somewhere just about every weekend  Twisted Sister was big back then too,  And hanging out at the original Mulcahy's.  I remember walking to Mulcahy's during a lull in the Blizzard of 78, about a mile from where I grew up in Wantagh and watching the backlash kick in  We got 13" on the back side of that Great Storm after getting about a foot during the day.  Great Memories!

Just watched an interview about global warming with The Weather Channel founder, John Coleman. Honestly, the guy made himself sound completely delusional. He said over and over “There is no global warming at all.” He completely denied any global warming whatsoever, no matter how small. I happen to believe that man has nothing at all to do with global warming. IMO it is a totally natural earth cycle, related to the oceans and the sun, more so the oceans.  But to completely deny that there’s any warming at all is crazy as far as I’m concerned. Global warming is undeniable, however I think the reason is not mankind related.....

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dakota said:

Thank you "WeatherFeen".

Though I will have My Thanksgiving dinner alone (as is almost always the case); I've actually met a few people out here over the last few weeks; going to a few meetings & events.  I guess I wouldn't quite call them "friends" yet; but they are polite acquaintances.  

That's unusual for Me; as I am more the "lone wolf" type...

True friends are rare, aquaitences many. When necessity forces me to the roof of my Cobble Hill  row house I look to the east at the growing Brooklyn skyline. I also spend a moment gazing east of north at the Freedom Tower, remembering sadly. Now I also gaze to the north and west and wonder how privileged it would have been to run with the wolves. For memories and dreams, I am truly greatful.

8 hours ago, snowman19 said:

Just watched an interview about global warming with The Weather Channel founder, John Coleman. Honestly, the guy made himself sound completely delusional. He said over and over “There is no global warming at all.” He completely denied any global warming whatsoever, no matter how small. I happen to believe that man has nothing at all to do with global warming. IMO it is a totally natural earth cycle, related to the oceans and the sun, more so the oceans.  But to completely deny that there’s any warming at all is crazy as far as I’m concerned. Global warming is undeniable, however I think the reason is not mankind related.....

which cycle(s)? 

31 minutes ago, Dakota said:

I have this strange sense that the forces of the universe are beginning to coalesce in a more favorable alignment for Me in recent times; of course I've been wrong about practically everything during this incarnation; so I'm not counting on too much luck; but you never know..

You have always been a kindly gentleman; and your posts are as soothing as Schubert...

Unfinished and gone too soon.

We can use the next 20 to 25 (12/09 period looks OK) days as a Tax Write Off loss to the winter.  Even Joe Besardi not cheering it anymore for now.

BUT I MUST WARN EVERYONE THAT THE CFS BANS THE RED HUES FOR 6 STRAIGHT MONTHS, CONTINENT WIDE,  STARTING WITH JAN., BEFORE BURNING OUR FERNS IN JULY/AUG.

EURO WEEKLIES [11/23] have record cold near Christmas, then flip by 50 degrees !!!  for NYD.

GFS slowly rotates the Polar Vortex to the east (from over Asia) and seems to want to get it here (over Hudson Bay) by mid-Dec.

Go to Instant Weather Maps to see this.   Image will not link.

• Rjay unpinned this topic