Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

11 minutes ago, Rjay said:

I listen to Lithium (station) on xm.

That's a great station. I grew up going to a bunch of concerts in that format when it was still called new wave. The old Malibu nightclub in Lido Beach would host the WLIR concert series. Got to see They Might Be Giants live in that smaller club setting. The bigger shows would play in venues like Jones Beach when the bands got more famous.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Lithium gets old, repeats same songs. 94.3 the SHARK is pretty good out here, and 90.7 WFUV is a city station which is good for alternative music. I only like the Adam Sandler Hannukah song. 

Seeing Dark Star Orchestra at the Paramount in Huntington Sat night, love that venue.

94.3 and 90.7 have been my main radio stations before 92.3 just changed to the new format. Many radio stations get into the repeating songs since that how the modern formats have evolved. There is so much more that can get played but gets left out of the regular playlists these days.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, uncle W said:

I miss the good ole days when Cousin Brucey and Scott Muni were on the radio...

I miss so many of the old dj's. Vin Scelsa recently retired and Pete Fornatale died of an aneurysm so they're both gone from the air but there are a couple still working from the late 60's and 70's on Sirius/XM. Cousin Brucie is still on Wednesday and Saturday nights on channel 6, the 60's channel, and I listen to Carol Miller, Meg Griffin, Dusty Street and Jim Ladd regularly and I think that Dennis Elsas is still on the air here in NY. There's really nobody like Scottso though.

1 minute ago, gravitylover said:

I miss so many of the old dj's. Vin Scelsa recently retired and Pete Fornatale died of an aneurysm so they're both gone from the air but there are a couple still working from the late 60's and 70's on Sirius/XM. Cousin Brucie is still on Wednesday and Saturday nights on channel 6, the 60's channel, and I listen to Carol Miller, Meg Griffin, Dusty Street and Jim Ladd regularly and I think that Dennis Elsas is still on the air here in NY. There's really nobody like Scottso though.

on March 4th 1960 during the blizzard I was listening to wmgm that evening which was the rock and roll station at the time...Scott Muni was the DJ said 'Hey Kids! No school tomorrow...I'll never forget that...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluewave said:

That's a great station. I grew up going to a bunch of concerts in that format when it was still called new wave. The old Malibu nightclub in Lido Beach would host the WLIR concert series. Got to see They Might Be Giants live in that smaller club setting. The bigger shows would play in venues like Jones Beach when the bands got more famous.

Oh man I saw some great stuff at Malibu. We used to walk in from the beach side and half the time never got asked for money. The Ramones and so many others...

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Lithium gets old, repeats same songs. 94.3 the SHARK is pretty good out here, and 90.7 WFUV is a city station which is good for alternative music. I only like the Adam Sandler Hannukah song. 

Seeing Dark Star Orchestra at the Paramount in Huntington Sat night, love that venue.

DSO is great. I used to see Jeff in small bars around LI over 30 years ago.

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

94.3 and 90.7 have been my main radio stations before 92.3 just changed to the new format. Many radio stations get into the repeating songs since that how the modern formats have evolved. There is so much more that can get played but gets left out of the regular playlists these days.

90.7 is still good but without Pete and Vin it's just not the same place it used to be.

• Like 1

Talk of Christmas songs, instead of Christmas snow.  Sounds like everyone is conseding a boring December is on the way.  I agree, till mid-month anyway.

Just a reminder that CFS goes bananas with Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr., May and June showing a continental wide freeze of -3 to -15 degs.  It banishes the red hues and seems to want to start a new Little Ice Age on North America.  Maybe it knows of some volcanic or celestial occurence that will befall us.  Lol.

Oh, and yes, my favorite Chirstmas album would be Phil Spector's  from '63 or '64.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Oh man I saw some great stuff at Malibu. We used to walk in from the beach side and half the time never got asked for money. The Ramones and so many others...

DSO is great. I used to see Jeff in small bars around LI over 30 years ago.

90.7 is still good but without Pete and Vin it's just not the same place it used to be.

U2 actually played the Malibu back in 1981 before they became so famous.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CIK62 said:

Talk of Christmas songs, instead of Christmas snow.  Sounds like everyone is conseding a boring December is on the way.  I agree, till mid-month anyway.

Just a reminder that CFS goes bananas with Jan., Feb., Mar., Apr., May and June showing a continental wide freeze of -3 to -15 degs.  It banishes the red hues and seems to want to start a new Little Ice Age on North America.  Maybe it knows of some volcanic or celestial occurence that will befall us.  Lol.

Oh, and yes, my favorite Chirstmas album would be Phil Spector's  from '63 or '64.

my favorite from 63...

On 11/20/2017 at 0:40 PM, BxEngine said:

I have shilelagh law xmas music in my mix dont worry lol.

i enjoy the entire season. I decorate pretty early. Life too hectic as it is, shortening the season and going through the trouble of decorating and listening to the music for just a couple weeks seems lame. 

I still remember the look on a particularly stuffy coworkers face at an office party years ago when she heard some of the lyrics in Fairytale New York, LOL  

NO TORCH HERE LOL

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 28. Wind chill values between 1 and 6. Windy, with a south southwest wind around 47 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 27 to 33 inches possible.
Tonight
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Steady temperature around 26. Wind chill values between 4 and 9. Windy, with a southwest wind 45 to 50 mph decreasing to 40 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 29 to 35 inches possible.
Wednesday
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 27. Wind chill values between 4 and 9. Windy, with a south southwest wind 33 to 36 mph, with gusts as high as 46 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 23 to 29 inches possible.
Wednesday Night
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 19. Wind chill values between 3 and 9. Windy, with a southwest wind 40 to 49 mph, with gusts as high as 65 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 26 to 32 inches possible.
Thanksgiving Day
Snow before 10am, then snow showers after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. High near 24. Windy, with a southwest wind 49 to 60 mph, with gusts as high as 75 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 20 to 26 inches possible.
Thursday Night
Snow showers. Low around 6. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

8 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Looks you will have a much warmer turkey day than our area. Not sure if this happens that much.

Is the cold end of November / start of December still expected?  I'm not seeing BN temps in the forecasts that joe sixpacks like me look at (CPC 8-14 day, accuweather, etc.)  I know, inadviseable, but if there was consensus am thinking it would show up there too.  Is the consensus back to expecting the usual slightly to moderately AN for the foreseeable future again?  Looking at long range commercial forecasts (I know, I know) they've been promising BN three weeks out for the last month or so.

• Rjay unpinned this topic