Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

1 hour ago, bluewave said:

The Bunker commercial fishing restrictions resulted in a big increase in food supply to bring the Humpbacks into our waters.

The bunker schools have been getting exponentially bigger every year. They were so thick at Jones Beach this summer it turned the water black. Absolutely incredible to see in person!!!

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

The bunker schools have been getting exponentially bigger every year. They were so thick at Jones Beach this summer it turned the water black. Absolutely incredible to see in person!!!

The  Jones Beach barrier island is a fantastic place for nature viewing. In addition to the marine life, there have been numerous rare bird sightings along the  strip. Birders flocked from all across the US to see the Corn Crake from Europe that turned up in Cedar Beach. Unfortunately, the little guy didn't make it.

http://www.audubon.org/news/birders-drop-everything-behold-rare-corn-crake-turned-new-york

21 hours ago, gravitylover said:

That's really cool. 

Don't know if it was that whale but there was one up near the sewage plant the same time, went right past my friends marina.                                                                                  I saw three right off the big M (bridge) 3 years ago scary when your in a small boat and their coming out.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan76 said:

Don't know if it was that whale but there was one up near the sewage plant the same time, went right past my friends marina.                                                                                  I saw three right off the big M (bridge) 3 years ago scary when your in a small boat and their coming out.

I'd think that most of Great South Bay is too shallow for critters that big especially at low tide. Haha I bet it's sketchy being in a small boat and these things that are triple your size are around. 

The onslaught of kids playing fake meteorologist on social media is really turning this science into a joke. People who don’t know any better, follow them thinking they are legit and actually believe their proclamations of historic blizzards and biblical cold coming from November to April. The clueless, fake predictions never come to fruition of course, then people start saying “it’s all hype”, “meteorologists get paid to be totally wrong, they know nothing”, “computer models suck”, “they are never right”. They are doing some serious damage to this field because 90% of the general public that sees their garbage don’t realize they aren’t really mets and their forecasts are fake wishcasts and hype meant to panic people. It becomes the boy who cried wolf in the public’s eyes when there really is a major snowstorm or severe cold coming and the real mets are trying to warn people. It’s really a shame and it’s becoming an epidemic. 

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The onslaught of kids playing fake meteorologist on social media is really turning this science into a joke. People who don’t know any better, follow them thinking they are legit and actually believe their proclamations of historic blizzards and biblical cold coming from November to April. The clueless, fake predictions never come to fruition of course, then people start saying “it’s all hype”, “meteorologists get paid to be totally wrong, they know nothing”, “computer models suck”, “they are never right”. They are doing some serious damage to this field because 90% of the general public that sees their garbage don’t realize they aren’t really mets and their forecasts are fake wishcasts and hype meant to panic people. It becomes the boy who cried wolf in the public’s eyes when there really is a major snowstorm or severe cold coming and the real mets are trying to warn people. It’s really a shame and it’s becoming an epidemic. 

IMG_7505.JPG

• Like 1

If you move beyond the local FM station playing Mariah Carey on repeat for two months, there's a wealth of pretty good Christmas music to be found with a little digging. The problem is that it takes some effort to find stuff that isn't just the 100,000th cover of O Holy Night so sometimes it's easier to just turn on the Warren Zevon or ELO and pretend like you're Jewish.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BxEngine said:

Do you stop listening to regular radio in the middle of february? 

LOL.  St. Paddys Day mixes are in full rotation by the middle of February.  But there is a lot of material to work with, how many different Christmas songs are there really out there?  I know there are different people doing the songs their own way but whats the over/under on how many songs there actually are?

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

LOL.  St. Paddys Day mixes are in full rotation by the middle of February.  But there is a lot of material to work with, how many different Christmas songs are there really out there?  I know there are different people doing the songs their own way but whats the over/under on how many songs there actually are?

I have shilelagh law xmas music in my mix dont worry lol.

i enjoy the entire season. I decorate pretty early. Life too hectic as it is, shortening the season and going through the trouble of decorating and listening to the music for just a couple weeks seems lame. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BxEngine said:

Do you stop listening to regular radio in the middle of february? 

I am just happy that NYC finally has an alternative rock format station back on the air. Grew up listening to 92.7 WLIR and WDRE. So this new ALT 92.3 that went on the air friday is a nice surprise.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

If you move beyond the local FM station playing Mariah Carey on repeat for two months, there's a wealth of pretty good Christmas music to be found with a little digging. The problem is that it takes some effort to find stuff that isn't just the 100,000th cover of O Holy Night so sometimes it's easier to just turn on the Warren Zevon or ELO and pretend like you're Jewish.

Gets old hearing Holly Jolly Xmas 10x a day on terrestrial radio...it's the same 150 burned out xmas tunes every year....Thank God for Satellite and Pandora.

• Rjay unpinned this topic