Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

2 hours ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Super excited for tonight’s cold. The reason being all the vegetation. I don’t think there has ever been such extreme cold with over 50% vegetation in the city and on the island. I fully expect sensitive trees to dump all there leaves tomorrow night.  

And the bugs. Lots of dead bugs.

1 hour ago, BxEngine said:

My dog wont be happy about the last of my tomato plants dying tnite...damn dog stole like 100 grape tomatoes this year. 

I grew tomatoes yearly when I was young. I would always have to battle the green horn worms. They got to be real big and could strip kill a good healthy plant quickly. The birds were my natural ally. I recall seeing a Cardinal doing battle with one. The plant shook like it was in an earthquake until the bird, with the worm draped out of both sides of its beek, staggered into the air with dinner for the next week. Are they still a problem like they were fifty years ago?

On 11/9/2017 at 5:37 PM, Juliancolton said:

That would be a terrible bet regardless of the month. :lol: I'd feel good about a sig snowfall though. Make it 4" and I'm in.

It's an entirely different world north and west.  Driving tomorrow morning into the Poconos and I see reports that the one inch of snow that fell there a few days ago is still on the ground!

14 hours ago, uncle W said:

I better barometer for daily temperatures is an average of each days hourly temperature and the max/min added in...there were records kept like this a long time ago...

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-EB426BAC-CC7C-4B0E-B7EE-107BDFE88ABE.pdf

I actually had an idea to do that, I wonder why it isn't done like that anymore?

5 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

Models backing off big time on the -NAO and huge blocking pattern. Gfs LR even has a massive ridge on east coast, thoughts?

It might be a case of the model seeing the pattern change too early.  I read that we're supposed to flip to a mild pattern starting in early December.  Anything before that is likely wrong.  We see the same thing happen when models forecast a change to a colder pattern- they tend to want to make it happen too early.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

It might be a case of the model seeing the pattern change too early.  I read that we're supposed to flip to a mild pattern starting in early December.  Anything before that is likely wrong.  We see the same thing happen when models forecast a change to a colder pattern- they tend to want to make it happen too early.

Outside of this outlier arctic cold shot, temps look near normal to at times AN (late next week). 

Just now, SnoSki14 said:

Outside of this outlier arctic cold shot, temps look near normal to at times AN (late next week). 

The forecasts I saw last night talked about more arctic shots starting next weekend and lasting to the end of November and then a flip to warmer weather beginning in early December.  

Before next weekend we should be in the 50s.

What does what you're looking at have for between November 20-30?

1 hour ago, Paragon said:

Got anything for the November 20-30 period?

Last 10 days of Nov. definitely favor BN by the CFS.  First 10 days of Dec  are a tossup, but BN is never positioned  far from us.  'Next 45 Days' output actually shows BN for the first time in I do not know how long.

btw:  The EURO Weeklies reverse these two predictions.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, uncle W said:

I better barometer for daily temperatures is an average of each days hourly temperature and the max/min added in...there were records kept like this a long time ago...

https://www1.ncdc.noaa.gov/pub/orders/IPS/IPS-EB426BAC-CC7C-4B0E-B7EE-107BDFE88ABE.pdf

Just curious for anyone who might know - the repeated references to 'city smoke' are interesting.  Is that what we now would call smog?  How would that be recorded today?

Utqiaġvik (Barrow) Zone 202 Coastal Flood Warnings and High Surf Advisories: 2017: 8 2016: 1 2015: 2 2014: 2 2013: 2 2012: 5 2011: 1 2010: 1 2009: 1 2008: 1 2007: 0 2006: 2 2005: 3

Your weekly reminder: this is NOT normal. Coastal flood warnings Sunday AM from the Bering Strait to Point Barrow (areas in deep blue shading). And it's Nov 12th. With sea ice, this would be just another winter storm, But there isn't…#akwx #Arctic @Climatologist49 @DaveSnider pic.twitter.com/kP3CJ2lKXe

• Like 1

• Rjay unpinned this topic