Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall 2017 Banter Thread

WeatherFeen2000

22 hours ago, Paragon said:

I read somewhere that our last truly anomalous arctic outbreak (2 SD) was in 1994.  The three I remember the most were that one and Christmas Day 1980 and January 1985 (inauguration day.)

The extended nature of the Arctic outbreak during February 2015 was impressive. And the short but more intense Arctic shot in a sea of warm pattern in February 2016 was remarkable given how warm that winter was. 

Another noteworthy Arctic outbreak statistic has been the lack of single digit readings in NYC during December since 1989. The December Arctic outbreaks since then have been much less intense. 

13 hours ago, Dakota said:

Can you imagine (what a swell party this is)?

The CPC just went cold and wet in the East from 11/8 - 11/16.  Maybe there will be a snowstorm in the Kittatinnies or Poconos or Catskills or Litchfield Hills...or maybe right down to the coast.

Then I must get to having my boiler fixed.  I have it scheduled for next week.

We've had back to back days in November with temps in the 70s and humidity near 80 percent (dp in the mid 60s)

The twitter trolls and wackos are coming out of hibernation in full force again now that it’s November I see. Ed Vallee and a few others were getting attacked this morning for suggesting that November is going to be a warm month. It’s so predictable, you only see them tweet from November until April, then they disappear and crawl back under their rocks completely until the following November, like clockwork. The shame of it is, they ruin great twitter threads and discourage some very good mets from tweeting and giving their insight

Next 45 days back up to +3/4degs.   CFS has favorable teleconnections with a -NAO, -AO and a PNA playing catch up, going + in two weeks.  So there is still hope here.   Everything else looks ugly over the next 4 months as before, not including Nov., whose last known whereabouts was AN of course.

Coming up on the 5th anniversary of the post Sandy record November snowstorm.

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...
   MONROE                11.5   500 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   DANBURY                9.9   709 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   
..NEW HAVEN COUNTY...
   CLINTONVILLE          13.5   526 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   HAMDEN                12.0   551 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   
...ESSEX COUNTY...
   NEWARK AIRPORT         6.2   730 AM 11/08  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER 
...NASSAU COUNTY...
   NORTH VALLEY STREAM    8.0   634 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   ALBERTSON              8.0  1200 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   CARLE PLACE            7.4   817 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   MALVERNE               6.5  1115 PM 11/07  SKYWARN SPOTTER   
...QUEENS COUNTY...
   BAYSIDE                7.9   748 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   FLUSHING               7.0  1200 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Coming up on the 5th anniversary of the post Sandy record November snowstorm.

...FAIRFIELD COUNTY...
   MONROE                11.5   500 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   DANBURY                9.9   709 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   

..NEW HAVEN COUNTY...
   CLINTONVILLE          13.5   526 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   HAMDEN                12.0   551 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   

...ESSEX COUNTY...
   NEWARK AIRPORT         6.2   730 AM 11/08  FAA CONTRACT OBSERVER 

...NASSAU COUNTY...
   NORTH VALLEY STREAM    8.0   634 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   ALBERTSON              8.0  1200 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   CARLE PLACE            7.4   817 AM 11/08  PUBLIC                  
   MALVERNE               6.5  1115 PM 11/07  SKYWARN SPOTTER   

...QUEENS COUNTY...
   BAYSIDE                7.9   748 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER         
   FLUSHING               7.0  1200 AM 11/08  SKYWARN SPOTTER   

That Albertson observation is from me. Had some great winters when I lived there from October 2010 to march 2015

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dakota said:

I've taken a few trips; into both N. Dakota & NE Wyoming; and getting caught on the roads out here in winter is a serious matter.  Many of the state & county roads come equipped with gates at the intersections with the larger highways; gates that lock shut during large snow events so as to preclude any travel into almost entirely uninhabited regions; places where if one broke down during a bad storm; it would be all over but the crying.

Places like that taught me to never make a radical maneuver to avoid a critter in the road. I've watched cars fly off the road to miss things that they would have plowed right through and been able to continue on their way instead of having a wrecked car and being stuck out in the middle of nowhere freezing their patooties off waiting for help. A couple of times I've given people rides into the next town because I wasn't going to sit and burn a tank of gas waiting for a tow in the morning. I've creamed deer and once an elk rather than risking my safety to miss it. Thankfully none of the things I've hit disabled my vehicle but I'd rather be disabled on the road than upside down in a ditch or possibly worse, at least if you're on the road you have a chance at maintaining control but once you're off the road it's out of your hands entirely.

• Rjay unpinned this topic